PDA

View Full Version : Super Monkey Death Strike

03-09-2003, 05:31 AM
Allo,

I noticed that nobody was talking about Corey Deuel's new line of 5280 cues. Has anybody played with them? I'm thinking of getting one (MH-11). I'm also thinking of getting a lucasi ss4 but I don't like wraps and I've also heard that the wraps fall apart. I haven't seen any information about buying lucasis without wraps. I know viking charges 50 bucks to make a cue without a wrap (at least on their website). I'm also looking into the new cuetec python series. Does the graphite truss rod really make a difference? I hope it doesn't feel like a graphite golf club. Also, I have noticed that the prices for cues on the internet are very good compared to my local retailer. I want to get a good deal but my local retailer doesn't carry any of the cues I want. And I have to see how they hit before I buy them too. What's the deal with predator shafts? I understand the whole ten pieces of spliced wood thing but 200 bucks for a uni-loc shaft? I can buy a whole cue for that. Does it really reduce squirt and deflection that much? And what are most shafts made with? One piece of white maple? I tend to think that the way a shaft plays is because of the joint, ferrule and tip. I used to have an old Meucci and I thought it shot like crap. Too whippy. The ferrule was 1 1/2 inches. Why is the Predator ferrule only 3/4 inches? I don't get it. I have a Falcon AC-14, a Falcon Nick Varner (?), and a Cuetec Earl Strickland Signature. They all play differently but I can still string racks together with them all. I had a new ferrule put on the cuetec four months ago. I've had the cue for about nine years now. Still plays great. Still straight. Being a young man and not having that much money I kind of wonder why people shell out a thousand bucks for a high-end production cue when I can just beat the crap out of them with my cuetec. With custom cues they are tailored to the person and hand-crafted et cetera. They are considered art. I just don't have the money to get a schon or predator, or anything in that price range. I like to look at custom cues but I mean, how much inlay crap can they shove into one cue? I also don't like the fact that high-end cues have a lot of ivory on them. There are tons of synthetic materials that play just as well and look exactly the same. I don't like thinking that I'm playing with part of an endangered animal. And another thing, why is Billiards Digest so small? It costs me five bucks for that mag and 60% of it is advertisements. Mostly for products I've seen before. I love to play pool but there are a lot of things I don't get. I don't understand why there are two organizations that govern pool (BCA and APA) as far as I know . I have no idea what that International Billiards Association (?) headed by Charlie Williams is trying to do. I don't understand why pool doesn't get any air time on t.v. When I see a tournament on t.v. it's a year old. And I already knew who won. Now I know the sport is growing by leaps and bounds so who is to blame? Make the BCA Expo accessible to all. Try something different. There is a tremendous opportunity to be had. Otherwise things will go back the way they were in the 70's. Well, this post is kind of a big rambling mess but I look forward to getting some answers.

See ya in hell blind boy,

Pistol Pete

Scott Lee
03-09-2003, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SquidgyMcFlerpen:</font><hr> I tend to think that the way a shaft plays is because of the joint, ferrule and tip.

<font color="blue"> </font color> This is basically true. That's why buying a cue, any cue, is a subjective experience. One man's junk is another man's treasure!

I like to look at custom cues but I mean, how much inlay crap can they shove into one cue? I also don't like the fact that high-end cues have a lot of ivory on them. There are tons of synthetic materials that play just as well and look exactly the same. I don't like thinking that I'm playing with part of an endangered animal.

<font color="blue"> </font color> You're misinformed. There is already so much "legal" ivory in this country alone, that they couldn't use it up in 100 yrs. BTW, synthetic materials may 'look like ivory', but they most certainly do NOT play like ivory. Some cues are made with ivory inlays to look nice, but ivory joints and ferrules are usually for the purpose of playing with the "ivory-feel" hit.

I have no idea what that International Billiards Association (?) headed by Charlie Williams is trying to do.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Another error here! The IBC is not connected with the UPA (United Poolplayers Association, run by Charlie Williams). The IBC sponsors tournaments all over the world, although few here in the U.S. The UPA is a new upstart men's professional association, presumably trying to put a respectable face on men's pro pool.

I don't understand why pool doesn't get any air time on t.v. When I see a tournament on t.v. it's a year old. And I already knew who won.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Still mistaken here! Pool is on television nearly every week, and sometimes multiple times a week. Pool television history was made here in the U.S. last December, when ESPN aired four straight hours of highlights of the recently completed Mosconi Cup, which had been live worldwide, and concluded just TWO WEEKS before the ESPN broadcast.

Now I know the sport is growing by leaps and bounds so who is to blame? Make the BCA Expo accessible to all.

<font color="blue"> </font color> The BCA show is an industry show, for vendors and dealers, just like any other industry. The public is not invited for a reason. There are consumer trade shows popping up across the country to satify the palates of eager customers like yourself! Allen Hopkins' Super Billiard Expo, outside Philadelphia, happens in two weeks, and in it's 11th year, is the largest gathering of poolplayers and vendors anywhere in the eastern U.S. There is another show happening here in Chicago next Oct. called the Midwest Billiard Expo.

Try something different. There is a tremendous opportunity to be had. Otherwise things will go back the way they were in the 70's.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Actually, there were more tournaments back in the 70's and 80's than there are today!
...at least for the pros, anyway!

Well, this post is kind of a big rambling mess but I look forward to getting some answers.

Pistol Pete <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> </font color> Well, Pete! There ya go...ya may not particularly like the answers, but there they are nonetheless! LOL

Scott Lee

Popcorn
03-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Regarding the BCA show, it is for the trades only. You have guys there making $10,000 orders. It is not for a guy looking the get a good deal on a tip tapper. The Hopkins show fills that need and in many ways is better then the BCA show.

cycopath
03-09-2003, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SquidgyMcFlerpen:</font><hr>Make the BCA Expo accessible to all.
<hr /></blockquote>Last year at the BCA Exop in NOLA guest pass' were being sold at the door for like $20 or something. But Popcorn is right, it is a trade show so you wouldn't be able to buy anything, just look... and drool.