PDA

View Full Version : Which Tourny To Attend, Sentimental or Money Added

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I have a dilemma. This coming Saturday there are two tournaments on that day, one is a yearly testimonial to a man who passed away some years back who, was one of those people you were proud to say you knew,,,you surely know the kind. The tournament has NEARLY not happened though in the past years due to bad timing, i.e. other tournaments going on the same day, and this the case again. There's a culminitive tournament I've qualified via a chip tournament in my home PH, set to happen in rackmup's back yard at Speeds, a fair bit of money added plus I could humiliate those Arlington guys(best part.) Still I wonder is the right thing to do might be to stay "at home" and play in the testimonial, since it has a deeper meaning. What would y'all do?

Btw, who on the CCB in the DFW area is planning on playing in the tournament @Speeds in Arlington this coming Saturday? You'd have to of qualified by playing a certain number of weeks in local chip tournaments already this year. I predict some really solid players is gonna be in this one!

Sid

wolfsburg2
03-09-2003, 11:38 AM
depending on how many money tourney's you have acces to, i would stay home and do the right thing.

SpiderMan
03-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Sid,

I don't mean to sound like a cold-hearted guy, but Cecil's testimonial tournament means a lot less to Cecil than your Arlington tournament does to you. Plus, his widow is remarried and no longer involved in the local pool scene, so maybe she's not living in the past so much these days either.

What I mean to say is that the "testimonial tournament" is not really connected to the man whose memory we'd like to preserve, after a few years it's just another event with a life (or death) of it's own. You'd be doing more for his memory by just talking about him now and then, and pointing to his picture on the wall at Skillman. Cecil and I were friends for a long time, I'll never forget him, I keep his memory alive by telling people what he was like and what he could do, he played on my BCA team while he could still play, and I'm not planning to go to the "testimonial".

Someone has to drive over there, hand Rackemup his ass-whipping, and come back to talk about it.

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
03-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Sid,

You have to ask?

Not much of a testimonial/memorial tournament, if you have to ask.

Go to the one that will make you "most happy" that's what any pool player would want for their pool playing friends.

rackmup
03-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Rackmup doesn't play in "Chip Tournaments". Nor does he partake in any games of requisite minimal skills that require shooting a ball through a windmill, slapping at a plastic disc suspended on air or games that require the inane shouting of terms like "Go fish", "Bingo", or "Rummy".

"Chip tournament"...Hmmph. They didn't even serve chips at the last one I attended.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif,

Ken

Ward
03-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Sid

I will be there. There will probably be two tourn's going at the same time. The chip tourny has a 36 player limit and there will be twice that many. Rob (TD) told me Sat that he was working on the format, it will be chip, but we don't know the exact format. There will be good players and it will be a lot of fun..

Later
Ward

Sid_Vicious
03-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Yea I'm fairly certain TJ Davis will travel for this payout, so somebody's gonna wrangle with his game to say the least...sid~~~wants to play the best...the format is brutal to the big dogs with one unfortunate turn of the rolls ;-)

Ward
03-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Sid

I don't think TJ Davis will be there. I haven't seen him in about a year...

Later

SpiderMan
03-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I played in a Sunday-night bar-table tournament at the Top Rail in Dallas a few months ago. TJ and Coy Lee were both there. They cancelled the calcutta because no one would bid on any of the regulars.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2003, 06:43 PM
That's probably because he's been at Skillman almost every Saturday in that chip tourny. I could be totally wrong, but something tells me he'll smell the added money and make the drive Saturday...sid~~~been wrong many times before, may be again