PDA

View Full Version : CC news 3/9 - ?

Karatemom
03-09-2003, 02:56 PM
They plan on clamping that g-tube today and feeding him some real food for a change. I tried feeding him a popsicle today and he had some of it, but was falling asleep on me. He's still a pain in the butt. He pulled his vent off right in front of me and the nurse. One nurse told me she thinks he knows exactly what he's doing, the other nurse told me he didn't think so. Personally, I think he's just uncomfortable and trying to get comfortable and doesn't realize what he's doing. That's okay, I have plenty of good info to blackmail him with later, LOL.

Heide

Barbara
03-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey Heide!!

Good news again!! Yeah, you're right, he's probably trying to get comfortable and doesn't know what he's really doing.

Keep the good news coming and say hi to him for me and Pete!

Barbara

Troy
03-09-2003, 03:51 PM
I think it's good news that Chris is being ornery.
If he wasn't making progress, he wouldn't be cranky.

Troy

Rip
03-09-2003, 06:47 PM
I disagree! I think he knows exactly what he's doing and he's trying to be a pain in the ass! That's the CC I know and love! Give em' hell Chris!
Rip~~misses his 'road dog'.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Hey Heide!!

Good news again!! Yeah, you're right, he's probably trying to get comfortable and doesn't know what he's really doing.

Keep the good news coming and say hi to him for me and Pete!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Karatemom
03-09-2003, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> I disagree! I think he knows exactly what he's doing and he's trying to be a pain in the ass! That's the CC I know and love! Give em' hell Chris!
Rip~~misses his 'road dog'.<hr /></blockquote>

Hey, it's me he's giving hell to! LOL. Honestly, I'd be worried if he wasn't /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Heide

Rich R.
03-10-2003, 04:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Hey, it's me he's giving hell to! LOL. Honestly, I'd be worried if he wasn't /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>
Give that hell right back to him Heide. Along with everything else, he probably misses that too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
03-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Hey Heide,
Thinking of you,always!:)
Carol

Jon from MN
03-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Thats all he needs now a little of heides good cooking and??? Keep the good new comming. Jon from mn

Karatemom
03-10-2003, 03:27 PM
He looked almost normal today. He was awake and alert enough to legibly write things down. He's obviously having morphine hallucinations. He thinks the dr's daughter is in a gang! He also wrote something about pool at 10. hahahahaha. Boy am I going to have fun when he gets home. His g-tube is still clamped and is doing fine. The respiratory dr lowered the pressure in his lungs so now he has to take deeper breaths on his own. He was also much more calm today. I think it was because he was more alert and aware of what's going on. He's doing so well, can't wait for him to come home.

Heide

WaltVA
03-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Heide - Thanks for the good news update. If CC is worried about being late for the ph, he's GOT to be better! Take care, all of you.

Walt in VA

Kato
03-10-2003, 03:39 PM
My happiness is beyond happy.

Kato

PQQLK9
03-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Hi Heidi, I'm always thinking about Chris and rooting for him...he's very fortunate to have such a loving family. Tell him i'm still his dawg /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
03-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Pool at 10 eh? Well it shows his mind is starting to tick thinking about pool. Are they going to start anytime soon weening him off morphine? Probably after the vent comes off? Just curious, that morphine is great stuff and a good way to pass what would be a very uncomfortable time. Great stuff, glad to hear Chris is doing so well. Be sure to say hi for me and give him the thumbs up!

Rod

Karatemom
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
They haven't said anything about weening him off the morphine yet, but I think they only give it to him when he starts pulling and ripping things off, LOL. He's not in too much pain that I know of. The trach tube is uncomfortable and the chest tube, but I think most of the pain has gone. What's good about the whole situation is that he probably won't remember any of it. He's on another med called Versat that messes with your short term memory. He remembers things for about a day, then they're gone. Not such a bad thing in his condition.

Heide

Troy
03-10-2003, 09:08 PM
All seems to be going well Heide, that's GREAT !!!

Troy

Rich R.
03-11-2003, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> He's on another med called Versat that messes with your short term memory. He remembers things for about a day, then they're gone. <hr /></blockquote>
I think some one has been slipping me some of that stuff.
Short term memory, what is short term memory? What is memory? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I like it when Chris starts thinking about pool. He is definitely coming back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
03-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Not a whole lot of change today either. Dr's said they were going to leave everything as is, so he can get used to the new settings, then they'll change them again. He was alert enough today that he finally understood who the balloons, flowers, cards, pictures, and plants were from. He did write down that he was sore everywhere, poor guy. He called the nurse in so he could get some pain meds. He did stand again today and took a few steps again. He tried to talk today and got a little bit of garble out, but not really understandable. It's easier for him to write it down. Pretty soon, something tells me I'll be reading different posts to him and he'll be having me write posts for him, LOL.

Heide

bluewolf
03-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Sounds great Heide!!! Thanks for the update

Laura

Kato
03-11-2003, 03:43 PM
I love it Heide. That is so unbelievably terrific that they are getting him out of bed. No more setbacks.

Kato

Rip
03-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Great news Heide! I'll be needing his advice on where to buy some of that magic carpet that makes spilled beer vanish. It's for the 'Cassman Wedding Chapel and Pool Hall' we're building behind the dumpsters at the Bellagio. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifLOL!
Hang tough and say hi to Christ for me, okay? Oh yeah, and Mary too!!!!! Rip

snipershot
03-11-2003, 05:23 PM
It's great to see that Chris is standing and even taking a few steps, this really shows how much progress he has made recently. The roller coaster ride you (and Christ) have had to go through seems to be smoothing out nicely, let's hope it stays that way, and hopefully Chris will have his health back soon.

Snipershot

Rich R.
03-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Great news Heide, Chris keeps moving forward.
Martha would say, "that is a good thing." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
03-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Good to hear that Chris is able to get up and stand and take a few steps. It sure helps the healing process. And prevents other problems. Make sure he asks for his pain meds at the start of pain and not wait until the pain becomes unbearable because then the meds do no good. Forget about becoming adicted - it's a myth. Hope you are keeping a journal/diary and don't be surprised that in a month from now Chris does not remember any of this. So if he promises you a new cue make sure you get it in writing. LOL. Wishing you both well and make sure you take care of yourself Heide, it woun't do any good for your battery to run down. Jake

Rod
03-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Humm, no Chris news today. The reporter must have taken the day off, from reporting that is. Hope all is well, I've never liked the thought-no news is good news. Just funnin with ya Heide, you need a break.

Rod

Karatemom
03-13-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm sorry for not posting earlier. Had a major meltdown, the computer, that is. Had to restore it and reinstall everything from my modem to my software programs. What a pain!!!

Anyway, not much change. His back still hurts more than anything. Same vent settings, and everything else. He basically just either sits or lays there, waiting to get out. LOL. There should be some changes by early next week, like getting off the vent and eating real food. They need to run some tests and get him off the vent before they feed him. He was kind of tired today and I felt lousy all day so I didn't stay long, but long enough for him to know I was there for him.

By the way, if there is anyone who gave me either their email address, or snail mail address, please PM me with it again. I lost everything!!!!

Heide ~ could have spent that 8 hours on some much needed sleep!!

Rich R.
03-13-2003, 04:53 AM
Sorry about the computer Heide. Sometimes they are a real pain.
I am happy to hear that Chris is still holding his own and continuing to improve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
03-13-2003, 02:16 PM
HE'S OFF THE VENT!!!!!!!! Finally!!! They do still have him on a Bi-Pap. I can't explain what it is exactly, but it provides constant air pressure for him to breathe. The infection seems to have cleared up completely. No sign of anything for a while now. He will start regular PT soon. He does have quite a bit of strength left in him, but needs to get those muscles moving again. The nurse was even talking about him leaving SICU soon, maybe within a couple of weeks. So he's doing really well.

Heide ~ happy as a clam

Rod
03-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Can't keep a good man down, or for that matter a good woman. That's great news Heide, I'm so happy for your family.

Rod

bluewolf
03-13-2003, 03:37 PM
SUPER Heide!!!! You did it!!! He got well from your strength and his will! WTG!!!

Laura

WaltVA
03-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Heide - That is such GREAT news! Just be patient, just a matter of time to build strength, and Chris is headed back to the table. Thanks for sharing the good news.

Walt in VA

Troy
03-13-2003, 04:06 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS !!!

Heide, it won't be long before Chris will be chasing you around the bed... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please tell the ol' grunp I said HI.

Troy

Ross
03-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Heidi, sounds like a big step forward in CC's journey back from hospital hell! Great news! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
03-14-2003, 06:30 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No infection and off the vent. That is a giant step.

Now it is time to talk to the hospital administration about getting a pool table in the hospital for rehab.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry, I just had a vision of Chris bending over to take a shot, wearing his hospital gown. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Maybe some pajamas would be in order. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cheesemouse
03-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Kmom,
Great news.....being a pool player I can't resist wolfing a little.....tell Chris for me that "I bet he breaks like a girl".......

Karatemom
03-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Good news today, too. They will start PT Monday and also put in a speech valve on his trach tube so he will be able to talk. Also next week, they will start letting him walk up and down the hallway to get his strength back. He is doing very well. He is doing so well that it is possible he could be home in a couple of weeks!!!

Heide

Barbara
03-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Woooohooooooooooooo!!!!!

Okay, I'm taking bets about what his first words will be with the speech valve.

My first choice is, "I love you."

Barbara~~~second choice is, "You want a piece of this?" (from sweating Fred Agnir's match in Vegas -- sorry, you had to be there /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif!)

snipershot
03-14-2003, 06:03 PM
It's great to hear Chris is off the ventilator and is close to making a full recovery, I knew he'd beat this it was just a matter of time, it's even better to hear he might be home in a couple of weeks. Way to go Chris!

Rich R.
03-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Good news again today. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is just getting better and better.

Troy
03-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Heide, I've been saying great news every step of the way. Chris is definitely making great progress. WHOOOPEEE !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Then he'll be pestering the hell out of ya.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good news.. keep it coming..

Rod
03-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Hey Heide,
Do you think Chris has anything to say! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Rip
03-15-2003, 01:03 AM
Heide,
Maybe you could convince the Physical Therapist to prescribe the PUSHING THE VACUUM CLEANER exercise into Chris' routine when he gets home! If they told him it was a special exercise developed especially to help him regain 'stroke' do you think he'd fall for it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It sounds like he's progressing really well now and I can't wait for more good news from you tomorrow.
Thanks for keeping us informed,
Rip

Leviathan
03-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Greetings, Heide. Just thinking of you guys and figured I'd say hello.

It's another mild spring day down here--some sun, some clouds, lots of birds and flowers. Also lots of squirrels: they're trying to eat the roof of my dad's house. There's never a bobcat around when you need one. My dad is in his eighties and feels bad when it's cold, so he's enjoying the warmer weather. He's shed about a dozen layers of coats, sweaters, scarves, and hoods in the last week, but he still looks like he's on his way to the South Pole.

Dad and I went to the PH for some 8-Ball yesterday, and the sonofagun won our last game with a flawless runout he started with a great kick. I'm pretty sure he's hustling me! He got into a conversation with an elderly man who used to go on the road with Eddie Taylor and they enjoyed swapping lies about the old days.

Hope all is well with y'all. Please give my regards to Chris.

Duke

Karatemom
03-16-2003, 03:32 PM
He's about the same today. Very alert and awake. They did turn down the pressure on his BiPap again today so he's getting closer and closer to getting off any breathing apparatus.

I printed out a few of the PM's and posts from this thread and read them to him. I haven't seen him smile so much in a long, long time. He loved hearing them. So if there is anything you would like to tell him, post it and I will read it to him tonite or tomorrow when I go back. You wouldn't believe how much it picked his spirits up.

I am well. Actually, much better when Chris is better. My sister-in-law keeps me company and we talk all day. Tuesday is our 12th wedding anniversary and will be spending the whole day at the hospital. Now that Chris is improving so much, everything seems right again.

Heide

Troy
03-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Please tell Chris to keep up the good effort.
Also please tell him I said "HI".

And you too Heide, keep up the good work.

Troy...~~~ Keeps your family in his thoughts...

Rip
03-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Happy 12th anniversary to you and Chris (a few days early)! So you were only 10 years old when you married Chris? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I knew the scoundrel was a cradle robber!
Give Chris a big old wet slobbery kiss...errr not from me....ummmhhh tell him it's from...uhhh...yeah-tell him it's from Rod! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh what the heck, give him one for me okay? Like everyone else here, I miss him alot too.
Happy 12th and I'm sure you'll enjoy many many more,
Rip

Barbara
03-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Yeah Rip, I know how you REALLY feel about CC!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Busted!!!

Barbara~~~Rip and I sweated CC's matches.....:D!

Rip
03-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey now!!! I didn't mean it in a sexual homowhatever way....I meant it in a very manly way. UGH UGH GRUNT GRUNT CAVEMAN kind of way, ya' know? Oh crap...I've really dug myself into deep dooo this time!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Rip~~will have to suffer the wrath of Barbara for a while, I guess!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Yeah Rip, I know how you REALLY feel about CC!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Busted!!!

Barbara~~~Rip and I sweated CC's matches.....:D!

<hr /></blockquote>

Troy
03-16-2003, 06:52 PM
BUSTED, BIG TIME !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> Hey now!!! I didn't mean it in a sexual homowhatever way....I meant it in a very manly way. UGH UGH GRUNT GRUNT CAVEMAN kind of way, ya' know? Oh crap...I've really dug myself into deep dooo this time!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Rip~~will have to suffer the wrath of Barbara for a while, I guess! <hr /></blockquote>

Rip
03-16-2003, 07:21 PM
arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> BUSTED, BIG TIME !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> Hey now!!! I didn't mean it in a sexual homowhatever way....I meant it in a very manly way. UGH UGH GRUNT GRUNT CAVEMAN kind of way, ya' know? Oh crap...I've really dug myself into deep dooo this time!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Rip~~will have to suffer the wrath of Barbara for a while, I guess! <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Kato
03-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I sent my sappy wishes in PM so that the posters on the board are not able to rag me in an open forum. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~a touch smarter than he appears to be...........really............I am /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Karatemom
03-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Don't you and Barbara have matching hernias from watching CC break? hahahahahahahahaha

Heide

Rip
03-16-2003, 08:34 PM
You're right about that Heide! In fact, my doctor just recently told me I could stop wearing the truss--which was necessary after watching CC's break last May. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif He hits em' like a freakin' freight train and that's not an exaggeration!
Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Don't you and Barbara have matching hernias from watching CC break? hahahahahahahahaha

Karatemom
03-16-2003, 08:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> You're right about that Heide! In fact, my doctor just recently told me I could stop wearing the truss--which was necessary after watching CC's break last May. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif He hits em' like a freakin' freight train and that's not an exaggeration!
Rip <hr /></blockquote>

Not anymore. He breaks like a girl!!!!! hahahahahaha

Heide ~ cheesemouse said it, not me, LOL

Kato
03-17-2003, 09:08 AM
I have a video of C.C. using a "safety break" in 9-ball and also the "cut break". So you see, he may break like a freight train but he's also a technician.LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Rip
03-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Kato,
I'm referring to his 'It's The BCA Nationals 8-BAll Tournament and I'm Gonna' Kick Lots of A$$ So Stand Back and You Won't Get Hurt' break that he brought to the desert last May. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Rip

Barbara
03-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Yeah yeah - THAT ONE!!!

Barbara

Kato
03-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Ohhhhhhh...........that break /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Karatemom
03-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Chris wasn't able to do that break for you at the time. It's not the kind of break you can watch without a net. Poor Rip and Barbara are still recovering from it, LOL. Me, I thought it was normal, hahahahaha. But what do I know?

Heide ` playing hookey today

Jon from MN
03-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Heide I have been away for a few days. And from the look of things mabey I should stay gone for awhile longer. lol Your not getting rid of me that easy! I am so pleased to hear everything is working out so well. Let me know when I can come and visit and until then give CC my best and take care of yourself and Crist as well. Talk to you soon ~~Jon from mn~~

#### leonard
03-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Nice to read he is getting better. I been following just not responding.####

Karatemom
03-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Today was a great day! At least for Chris. He is off the Bi-Pap and on only oxygen now. They did a swallow study on him this morning to check and make sure that anything he would eat would go where it is suppose to. They've got him off the Verset completely, but not sure about the morphine. He was only getting that at night to help him sleep. The nurse now gives him a Vicodin all chopped up, mixed with some baby food, for the pain. He was supposed to start PT and get the speech valve on his trach today, but they never got around to it. No big deal. I'm not going to make a fuss over that. They will start tomorrow though. Today was a busy day for him. He can now manage to get himself up and out of the bed and chair and get himself in as well. When I called this evening to check on him, the nurse who was on duty tonite said that she hadn't had him for over a week and couldn't believe how well he was doing. He's been a long way, still has a little more to go, but the worst is definitely behind him. I fully expect him to be out of SICU by the end of this week, and possibly home by the end of next. This is, of course, my opinion, but the nurses are all telling me that he doesn't have much longer in SICU.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. There are just too many updates and posts to respond to all of them. But know that I read everyone's posts and PM's and relay them to Chris. I'll never be able to thank everyone for all the support, but I can't wait for the day when Chris comes home and he is able to thank you himself!

Heide

snipershot
03-17-2003, 09:48 PM
It sounds like Chris is doing great and like he is gaining his strength back, hopefully he is out of SICU soon and home soon after that, good luck with his pt as well it sounds like Chris is gonna be fine.

Snipershot

BillyRinNC
03-18-2003, 01:27 AM
This is my first reply but I have been keeping up with your posts now daily for somw time. You have been through the wringer and my hat is off to you. I am so thankful things are finally much better. God Bless you and Chris.
Billy R in High Point NC.

Karatemom
03-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. The people here on the CCB are the best. Never met most of them, but all of them are family.

Heide

Rich R.
03-18-2003, 05:02 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I love to get good news in the morning. It makes my day, so much better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Tell Chris I said Rack em up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2003, 07:24 AM
This is wonderful. I am very happy for you and Chris and Christ.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Wally in the Natti

cheesemouse
03-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Kmom,
I've been away doing what I know Chris would love to be doing, sticking it out there playing the game and trying to win...It is great to come home and hear the good news, that Chris and you are winning this battle. Tell Chris that when he gets back home and later gets back to his pool game that the young'n's can still be beat but he will definitely have to get that big break back in working order, it's still a break and run game...

Karatemom
03-18-2003, 02:20 PM
We spent a wonderful day together. Just sat around the hospital room watching tv and talking. Couldn't have been any better!

They put the speech valve on twice. I didn't realize how much was involved in putting it on. They have put him back on the BiPap temporarily so it was a little more difficult for him. He left it on a few minutes, then had to go back on the BiPap because his oxygen level dropped a little. By a ilttle, I mean it still stayed in the 90's, but under 100. He's usually around 97-100. So everyday they'll work on putting it in for a little longer each day until he can get used to it.

As for the swallow study they did yesterday, everything came back okeedokee. Everything went where it was supposed to and as soon as he can get off using the trach tube, he can start eating real food again. They have been letting him have sips of water which is good. That clears everything out.

It is still entirely possible that he might be home in 2 weeks. As long as things are changing for the better each day, I will be updating everyone. If they are the same, I won't post. Thanks to all!

Heide

SpiderMan
03-18-2003, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> As long as things are changing for the better each day, I will be updating everyone. If they are the same, I won't post. Thanks to all!

Please post anyway. I check the CC news every afternoon and I'll go nuts if it's not updated !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SPetty
03-18-2003, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> As long as things are changing for the better each day, I will be updating everyone. If they are the same, I won't post. Thanks to all!

Heide <hr /></blockquote>Please post anyway. I check the CC news every afternoon and I'll go nuts if it's not updated !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>Actually, Heide, that goes for me too. You don't hear from me a lot, but I'm always here and always "seconding" the sentiments of all my fellow posters here. Glad things are looking up for you guys.

Kato
03-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Sweet!!!!!

Kato

eg8r
03-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Wow, that is great news. I am so excited. You tell Chris he needs to hurry up and get back. The board is too quiet without him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Karatemom
03-18-2003, 05:12 PM
The house is too quiet, too, LOL. Nothing is the same without him.

Heide

Karatemom
03-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Okay, if you really want me to, I will. Geez, a girl can't get any rest around here, hahahaha. J/K. You guys on the CCB are what keeps me going. Think I might have cracked by now if I didn't have all of your lended ears.

Heide

Rich R.
03-19-2003, 05:13 AM
Let me predict, once Chris has that speech valve in for a few days, you will be ready to rip it out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just think of all the words he has been saving up.

Keep the posts coming Heide. Many of us do not start our day without an update. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vicki
03-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Heide,

I log onto CCB everyday, most days only to check on Chris' progress. I rarely have time to read any other posts but check on you every day. I am very happy to hear such great news as you have reported lately. After a series of unfortunate work disasters in recent days it would be a shame not to hear good news happening for someone else! I know it's a lot to ask, but keep the good news coming. With all the crap going on in the world right now... we need some good news! Your family has become our family...

Vicki

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Okay, if you really want me to, I will. Geez, a girl can't get any rest around here, hahahaha. J/K. You guys on the CCB are what keeps me going. Think I might have cracked by now if I didn't have all of your lended ears.

Karatemom
03-19-2003, 01:19 PM
I hope this news makes everyone as happy as it's made me.

He ate breakfast for the first time in 5 1/2 weeks this morning. I was so excited, all I heard was jello, chicken broth, and apple juice. I forgot the rest and forgot to see what else was new, LOL. The nurse did say that he was in better spirits today and that he was doing very good today. He was sleeping when I got there, and I know he hasn't been able to sleep much since he got there (even though for a while it seemed that's all he was doing), so I just let him sleep and left him a note.

Just one more step closer to home!!!

Heide

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>

I hope this news makes everyone as happy as it's made me.

He ate breakfast for the first time in 5 1/2 weeks this morning. I was so excited, all I heard was jello, chicken broth, and apple juice......<hr /></blockquote>

Bet that tasted like a steak dinner to him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the good news.

Karatemom
03-19-2003, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Bet that tasted like a steak dinner to him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

As soon as he is able, I'm taking him to the best steak house in the QC and treating him to a New York Strip, medium rare, with a baked potato, vegetable, and wine! He deserves at least that much.

Heide

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Fly'em to SPetty's for Spiderman's chili and tequilla shots!!! ;-) sid

eg8r
03-19-2003, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He ate breakfast for the first time in 5 1/2 weeks this morning. I was so excited, all I heard was jello, chicken broth, and apple juice. <hr /></blockquote> Not exactly my choices for breakfast. BUT WHO CARES!!!! The Cassman is on his way back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Karatemom
03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
hahahahaha. We'll be there, just don't know when, LOL.

Heide ~ so excited she might need a shot of something to calm her down, LOL

Barbara
03-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Heide,

If there's a "Sullivan's Steak House" around, take him there. IMO, it's better than Ruth's Chris' and classier, too.

Last year I witnessed Pete Omen chowing down an an 8-ouncer. And that was a good thing!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon from MN
03-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Heide I need to keep hearing from you. it seems to keep me going. I look forward to reading your post everyday. now I hate to be such a pain but keep posting please pretty please. thank you Jon OH GIVE CC MY BEST!

Kato
03-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I can't stop smiling.

Kato

Troy
03-19-2003, 05:52 PM
HALLELUJAH !!!

Rod
03-19-2003, 09:54 PM
That is exciting Heide. I'll bet Chris really enjoyed that. No burnt bacon huh? Guess all of that eating wore him out!

Rod

Rich R.
03-20-2003, 04:51 AM
It ain't bacon, eggs and home fries, but then, I don't get to eat that stuff either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It is another, of many, steps in the right direction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
03-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Heidi - Great news!
Hmmm... maybe I can get up there to play Chris a match next week. Given the rapid rate at which he is recovering, the next few days may be the last time I have any chance of beating him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Karatemom
03-20-2003, 01:00 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't have a whole lot of time, have to get to the school for parent/teacher conferences, but had to let everyone know.

As soon as a bed is available, Chris will be moved to either an upstairs room or rehab room. Rehab is where he will be going eventually anyway. There he can get all the physical, occupational, and speech therapy he needs. He had breakfast again today and took a stroll from the bed to the door with a walker. He is doing wonderful. I'm supposed to bring all his stuff, shaving cream, razor, slippers, pj's, etc., with me when I go back after conferences. He probably won't get moved today, but most likely tomorrow. I'm so excited I don't know what to do with all this energy!!!!!!!!

Heide

Rich R.
03-20-2003, 01:14 PM
More great new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Hmmm...

Might be time to take his cue stick to visit him so he can show it off to everybody /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
03-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Couldn't get much better news than that.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Kato

Karatemom
03-20-2003, 09:02 PM
To heck with tomorrow, they moved him into his own private, non-SICU room this afternoon. He is now officially out of ICU and doing great. They do still have him on a BiPap and chest tube, but it won't be long before they're out. They said that they will do physical, occupational, and speech therapy from that room so he won't be moved again, and it should take about 2 weeks before he's strong enough to come home. He is able to talk a little, but isn't supposed to without the speech valve in. So no phone calls yet. But I will let you know when he is able to talk on the phone. He has come such a long way. I'm so excited about it that I still have lots of energy yet to burn tonite, LOL.

I'll never be able to thank everyone for everything they've done. I know I've said that before, but it comes from the bottom of my heart. I never would have gotten through this whole mess without the support from the CCB.

Heide

snipershot
03-20-2003, 10:36 PM
This is excellent news Heide, it sounds like Chris is working his way back up to 100%. Soon he'll be healthy enough to piss you off just like before he was in the hospital /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Hope to see Chris around here soon.

Snipershot

jjinfla
03-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Hey heide, Do they have a pool table in the PT room? Good to hear that Chris is doing much better.

bluewolf
03-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Hey Heide. tell Chris hey from us and we are so glad that he is doing better.

Also I saw this player, although not as good as Chris, when I was watching him he reminded me of how I think Chris would be. Smooth smooth smooth and perfect execution that was flawless and made it look easy.
They say he is A- not A+ like chris .

Laura

Karatemom
03-22-2003, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Hey heide, Do they have a pool table in the PT room? Good to hear that Chris is doing much better. <hr /></blockquote>

hahahaha. Probably not. But I would bet that if there were a pool table in PT, he would recover quicker than anyone has ever seen! As soon as he is off the BiPap and has the chest tube out, they will move him to another room in rehab, then he comes home. They could move him now, but the dr says that it is easier without all the tubes, and he can still do the exercises in his bed for now.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
03-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Heide,
This is the news we have all prayed and hoped for ever since the first day.

Looks like the sun is begining to shine on you and your family. Spring has begun and summer is just around the corner.

I feel better for you and yours, and I also feel better for me. "Me" because I have seen what lots of friends and well wishers can do, just by being there and supporting your feelings.

Tom

Sid_Vicious
03-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Giant ditto on everything Tom said, I couldn't have expressed it any better. Yes spring has sprung, in yet a most exciting way...sid

eg8r
03-22-2003, 11:14 AM
This is wonderful news. Keep it coming.

eg8r

Jon from MN
03-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Heide I am so happy I could just #%$&amp; you guys! As far as the pool table in theraphy back in the 70,s I hurt my back in a auto accident and couldnt work for 2 years, my doctor had me play pool for theraphy that sure ticked the insurance company off but it worked for me. Say hi to CC and take care JOn from mn

Karatemom
03-25-2003, 02:33 PM
On it's own accord, the chest tube decided it was time to go, LOL. It feel out this morning and the dr's decided it didn't need to stay in. Something tells me that Chris might have pulled it out, hahahaha. Only one more tube to go before he is transferred down to rehab for all the therapy.

The nurses are going to talk to the dr today to see about getting him started on eating some soft foods like applesauce, mashed potatoes, etc. He is on a liquid diet for the time being and is sick of it. The same thing everyday: broth, juice, tea, 7Up, and jello.

They also clamped off his Foley tube today. This way he should start feeling the urge to have to go to the bathroom again. He can't get up to do so just yet, but the nurses can drain the tube when necessary. This will help his bladder muscles get working again.

He's doing great and hopefully will get moved to rehab soon. I wish he could talk normally so he could talk to someone besides me and the hospital staff, LOL.

Heide

eg8r
03-25-2003, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On it's own accord, the chest tube decided it was time to go, LOL. It feel out this morning and the dr's decided it didn't need to stay in. Something tells me that Chris might have pulled it out, hahahaha. <hr /></blockquote> NO, that could not have been Chris' doing. LOL

[ QUOTE ]
He is on a liquid diet for the time being and is sick of it. The same thing everyday: broth, juice, tea, 7Up, and jello. <hr /></blockquote> Can one feel full after that diet? I bet he cannot wait for a steak. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

Rich R.
03-26-2003, 04:59 AM
It seems like things are still progressing nicely. It won't be long before Chris is in that rehab unit and chasing you up and down the halls.

That liquid diet wouldn't be too bad, if they would slip a beer in, now and then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
03-26-2003, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote :</font><hr>That liquid diet wouldn't be too bad, if they would slip a beer in, now and then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ain't that the truth???????

Kato

Karatemom
03-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Today was an awful day. Chris coded this morning. He was walking with a nurse and went into respiratory arrest.

He was still on the BiPap and that forces air down your airway. He has secretions from his lungs that would come up the airways. Well, the air from the BiPap clotted the secretions and BAM, blocked airway = respiratory arrest. He was immediately taken care of, forced the clot down so he could breathe again, and was transferred down to MICU (Medical ICU)permanently.

He is doing fine now but needs the kind of care that ICU can give him until the trach is out, so he will be there for quite a while longer.

There is some good news however. He will go straight to rehab from MICU, the chest tube is still out and the g-tube is out as well.

Heide ~ is getting really tired of this rollercoaster ride, I'm ready to get off!

Kato
03-26-2003, 03:29 PM
I read your post. I see. I hope things get better from here.

R.J.

Karatemom
03-26-2003, 04:12 PM
It's days like these where I am so thankful for my CCB family who will listen to my sobs and gripes. I would have definitely cracked by now if I didn't have you all to lean on.

Heide ~ forever grateful

eg8r
03-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Heide, I am happy you post these upadates. Whether you know it or not (I think you do) we are all living this roller coaster with you. This is by choice because we care. Tell Chris we are thinking of him and cannot wait for full recovery.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
03-26-2003, 04:16 PM
I guess sometimes you gotta deal with the curveballs that life throws at ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm sure Chris will pull out of this one too. It's all a matter of time I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

John G
03-26-2003, 04:27 PM
"Heide ~ is getting really tired of this rollercoaster ride, I'm ready to get off!"
I've been following Chris's condition since he was hospitalized. (I didn't realize he was ill before that). You've shown tremendous courage in dealing with all the ups and downs. When I read the beginning of your post my heart lept to my throat and stayed there until I saw he was ok.

I'm happy you said what you said because I was getting envious that Chris has an honest to goodness ANGEL. But now I know you're human like the rest of us. Chris is a lucky guy. It's a tough ride Heide, But then, you're a tough gal. Your all in my prayers
John G
After reading my post I'm worried you may think I'm being flippant about your situation. I promise you I'm not. And I'm deeply sorry if it came across like that. I know it's much harder on the person that waits and watches then the one who is ill. I know because I've watched my wife sweat through it a few times now. When your ill you go through a range of emotions, But fear isn't one of them. We get angry, depressed, feel sorry for ourselves but we save the fear for the people that love us.

The person that's ill isn't afraid because they know how hard the're fighting, when they are winning and when they are losing. I guess because I've been a pool player all my life it's easier for me to be anecdotal with pool situations.

It's like when you're sweating a session and you're watching your player and it looks like everythings going south, but your player isn't worried because evan though it looks bleak the player still has some control, He still has some speed he hasn't shown. but the sweater doesn't know that. All the sweater sees is what's going wrong .Well your player's a winner and he'll pull this game out. But then you already know that don't you. God Bless

nAz
03-26-2003, 04:38 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod
03-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Heide,
Some days are a little rougher than others but the main thing is he is constantly getting better. I know it may not help much when such an emergency happens but; just look back two weeks or so ago and compare the difference. My rationalizing may not be of great comfort but just a view from the outside. Chris has and still is going through the healing process and thank goodness it is under very good supervision. He'll be ok, and be the friend, husband, father and play pool again. You'll have to stay onboard a little longer and hopefully there will be very few peaks and valleys to the flat land. I know your a strong lady so hang in there girl it won't be that much longer.

Your Friend,
Rod

BTW, How you hitten em? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Karatemom
03-26-2003, 06:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> BTW, How you hitten em? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I'm not hitting them too bad lately. I had the highest average on our team this year (21), and feel like I can see the patterns a bit better. I can run a few more balls than a couple of months ago. Our BCA winter/spring league ended last week with the banquet so I got on a team for the summer league which starts April 8. I'm looking forward to it. Pool is a release, plus it makes me feel closer to Chris in a weird kind of way.

Heide

stickman
03-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Heide, I'm sorry to hear of the temporary setback. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Have faith, this too will pass. As always, my prayers are with you, Chris, and Christ.

http://content.barewalls.com/quickview/d0112515218q.jpg

Jim

Rich R.
03-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Heide, that is just a minor setback. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In a race to 9, Chris may lose a rack, once in a while, but he will win in the end. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thought I would make it pool related. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-27-2003, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>
Actually, I'm not hitting them too bad lately. I had the highest average on our team this year (21), and feel like I can see the patterns a bit better. I can run a few more balls than a couple of months ago. Our BCA winter/spring league ended last week with the banquet so I got on a team for the summer league which starts April 8. I'm looking forward to it. Pool is a release, plus it makes me feel closer to Chris in a weird kind of way.

I don't think that's weird at all /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes pool is a release, a good way to rest your mind from the worries of the world. Matter of fact, some folks on this board play so much they probably don't worry much at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally in the Natti~~still prayin' for y'all

P.S. - You might want to start a new thread. This one's getting a little leggy /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.P.S.-keep the updates coming.

snipershot
03-27-2003, 08:14 AM
A rollercoaster ride might be an understatement by the sounds of it, I'm sad to hear this happened to Chris but hopefully he get's better from here on, we'll all be rooting him on.