PDA

View Full Version : met true hustlers tonight

sack316
03-10-2003, 01:55 AM
I was warming up this afternoon before league (which I shot horrible in), and a guy comes up wanting to play. he goes through the whole bit of "well how much is beer? OK, lets play for that 2.50 then." I told him I had no money, but we shot anyway. Then I notice he's got a crew of like 4 or 5 people scattered through the place.SO I get to know them, pretty cool guys and 1 gal. I helped him look bad for some people there, but told him I wouldn't help him husltle anyone I knew personally.Anyway the girl was shooting probably about like a 3 in APA. well I go off to my league at another bar, and when I come back it is amazingly slow in there. Come to find out that the main guy and the girl went to another place to play 2 very good 9's I know in scotch doubles for around $1000 and everyone left to go watch. Turns out the girl is really a 9. The guy had obvious tells that he was a good shot, but the girl was very good at hiding it. It just amazes me how much detail and planning they had going for the whole thing, even as far as him throwing $100 on the table to me when I would "win" in front of certain people, and the plants he had scattered throughout. But I guess for a thousand dollar pay day I'd be going the extra mile too

Predator314
03-10-2003, 08:12 AM
I love these stories. Hustling is a true art form.

Popcorn
03-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Ha Ha Ha, There is a guy like you everywhere you go. They will tell you anything you want to know and even help you for no real apparent reason. We call them "Pool detectives." I would use them all the time, I always found it curious why they would let themselves be used like that. Many times they set up their own friends. I would not be telling this story around where you hangout, being labeled a Pool Detective is right up there with being called a Nit.

Popcorn
03-10-2003, 12:47 PM
In rereading my post, I hope it didn't sound like an insult. My remarks were meant to be constructive. I will tell you something that happened to me just recently. I went into the poolroom and the guy at the bar said someone was looking to play. They guy was on a table by himself and I went over and asked if he was interested in playing some one pocket? He said he would play some cheap $10. a game 9-ball. I said fine, but I had to pick up my wife and would be back in about 15 minutes. I really had to hit the ATM because I didn't have much money on me. When I got back I went over and he said he thought he needed the 7 ball if I wanted to play. I declined but later offered him the 8, but he had no more interest in playing and left. First let me say, from what I saw he played real good. I don't play all that much 9-ball and it would have been a good game, I wasn't looking to rob anybody. Someone told me later that one of the guys hanging around had been talking to him while I was gone. Here is the problem, the busybody knows nothing about how I play except maybe by reputation and that I am sure is exaggerated. The other player was a good player and may have won. It is best to just say nothing one way or another if asked how a player plays. You should certainly not let a friend get in a trap, that is not being a knocker, that is being a friend. But in general minding ones own business in the pool room is the best policy. Leave people to play their own games. I always laugh at the guy in the movie "The Hustler" called Big John when he goes over to Fast Eddie and tells him that there is no way he can beat Fats and should not play. Are you kidding, this guy would be run out of town on a rail in the real world. Doesn't he want to see a good game, maybe bet on the side, see his friend Fats make some money? It made no sense. Just my opinion

sack316
03-10-2003, 01:20 PM
i don't call it being a detective, I call it making a little cash for info. Like I said I told him I wouldn't let him hustle my friends. but people I know of or have played before and that have tried to hustle me or others, they were fair game to me because I'm not good enough to take their money, but I now had people that did. And its not like I was only on the hustler's side of things. Of course people saw him shooting with me, and of course they would come ask me how he shot when he would ask them for money games, and I would tell them that he was better than he looks playing me (my friends that is).
I know you didn't mean it as an insult, but I'm not that far down on the food chain as you made it sound. I was just drawn into an amazing situation that was both fun and a learning experience. Its the first time I've seen anything on that grand a scale before and (for lack of a better term) "professionally" done.

sack316
03-10-2003, 01:23 PM
oh, and also, no matter what the situation be it gambling, hustling, league, friendly bar game, doesn't most everybody ask someone else "hey, how's this guy shoot?" or something along those lines. I don't see anything wrong with it

Steve Lipsky
03-10-2003, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> oh, and also, no matter what the situation be it gambling, hustling, league, friendly bar game, doesn't most everybody ask someone else "hey, how's this guy shoot?" or something along those lines. I don't see anything wrong with it <hr /></blockquote>

Well, the problem is when you answer that question with a lie to players in your home room.

- Steve

Hopster
03-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I always laugh at the guy in the movie "The Hustler" called Big John when he goes over to Fast Eddie and tells him that there is no way he can beat Fats and should not play. Are you kidding, this guy would be run out of town on a rail in the real world. Doesn't he want to see a good game, maybe bet on the side, see his friend Fats make some money? It made no sense. Just my opinion &lt;---Popcorn

Exactly. Why open your mouth and maybe wind up in a jackpot. Even if you dont like the guy, you still say nothing.
With me where im from and how i grew up, you dont tell strangers nothing. You only ask for trouble when you open your mouth to people you dont know. And sometimes you get in trouble for opening your mouth to people you DO know.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-10-2003, 05:13 PM
My standard answer is "Why don't you play him and find out for yourself?" when someone asks about the 'speed' of any player.

TomBrooklyn
03-10-2003, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ...They will tell you anything you want to know and even help you for no real apparent reason. ...I would use them all the time, I always found it curious why they would let themselves be used like that. <hr /></blockquote>Oftentimes people like to be helpful. Other times some people like to show off their knowledge of this and that and who they know, yada yada yada. It's human nature. Usually they don't even realize that the person they're talking to is absorbing this knowledge for some ulterior motive, perhaps personal gain. The "detective" often thinks it's just innocent chit chat or shop talk.

But loose lips sink ships. Like your mama said, don't talk to strangers. Well, don't talk about certain things, anyway.

NH_Steve
03-10-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm surprised at how paranoid some of you guys are -- as if any stranger that walks through the door is a hustler!

Whenever I travel I always try to find a pool room. I'm honest about my speed, and generally ask the houseman if he can set me up with some one pocket. Sometimes I get guys like you, who think every stranger shoots like Efren (but is just laying low), and sometimes I get an honest answer &amp; a good match up right away. I always look for only modest stakes like not more than $20 a game, 'cuz I actually am really only looking for social action, not to bust somebody -- if you can believe that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If the game is out of balance, I'll either ask for an adjustment, or go along with one to keep the game close. I'd actually prefer not to win or lose more than a C-note or two. To win more might make it hard for me to leave in one piece /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif , and to lose more hurts the pocket book /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So far, this has worked for me, but it sure works a whole lot better when the houseman isn't paranoid -- or too much 'on the take' /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will say the one thing that probably bugs me the most is when some house 'shortstop' has unilaterally decided that I'm his 'action', and he pressures all the other local players to not play me -- to try to force me into a bad game with him. Well f*** them, I'm nobodies action unless I want to be their action /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

randyg
03-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Great story. Don't confuse a good gambler with a hustler. You will never know you are being hustled.....randyg

sack316
03-11-2003, 02:13 AM
"My standard answer is "Why don't you play him and find out for yourself?" when someone asks about the 'speed' of any player. "
I like that one Tom.
For the record I didn't lie to anyone about anyones speed. Anyone who asked me I told them the truth

Popcorn
03-11-2003, 01:23 PM
How do define someone's speed so as to be truthful? That is why it is best to not comment, you can't handicap someone games for them. When I used to have a room, I always had players asking for a line on other players, sometimes both players would ask. One guy asks and goes to the bathroom and the other player comes up and asks. You can't get involved in this stuff. I would usually say something like, "Your a good player and it takes a good player to beat you," They usually just want some moral support, not really information. Since you like giving information, have you ever told someone they had a lock and then they lost and blamed you? If you have equal feelings for both players and know it is a mismatch, would you tell the weaker player killing the game. You know, they may play a few games and then begin playing with a handicap once the game proves it's self. They don't need you to make their games. Too many things involved, best to mind your own business. Can't think of too many other ways to say it, but it is a good policy. In a (real)poolroom you are in a small subculture and there are sort of unwritten rules. Poolrooms today are often full of squares that don't really know any better. What are you going to do, I guess I am from the old school.

cheesemouse
03-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Popcorn,

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am from the old school. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm old school also.........quering anybodys game or action is a no no!!!!!!!!

03-11-2003, 09:15 PM
This is truely a sore subject with me.
A couple of weeks ago, I got a game with a guy from out of town. He asked if I wanted to play 10 a rack, I said yes.
Well we played about an hour and he beat me out of 50$. Well I stopped playing, not because he beat me but because I was out of money. In a way I was already stalling.
Well it turns out that now the guy wants to keep playing and offers me the 7. I go NUTS!!!
It took me about 8 min from the hall to the ATM and back.
Within that time, he doesn't want to play anymore.
Later i find out that the dam "CROWS"- (defines as - broke a$$es that hang out at pool halls and think they know everyones games told the guy I should be spotting him.
I hate these people, think they can play but don't any nuts to get on the table.
There is no Guarantee, thats why its called gambling.

sack316
03-12-2003, 03:08 AM
No I've never told anyone they are a lock- for any reason because anybody can win at any time. I do play at a REAL pool hall (of which I am the most regular of regulars in the subculture you speak of), and such information is passed freely from me, about me from others, and from most anybody including people from "the old school". It's not like I'm walking around scouting every player and setting up matches for people. If someone asks me a question I answer it to the best of my knowledge without BSing around. I'm not sure if some of the comments are directed at me or just in general. So if it was just in general I apoligize, but I am responding as if it were toward me.

Popcorn
03-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I always like the saying "that's why they call it gambling" When I first met my wife we would run around and she never really saw me lose. The first time she saw me lose a couple of thousand, she needed oxygen. I told her "that's why they call it gambling."

Hopster
03-12-2003, 04:27 PM
I always like the saying "that's why they call it gambling" When I first met my wife we would run around and she never really saw me lose. The first time she saw me lose a couple of thousand, she needed oxygen. I told her "that's why they call it gambling." &lt;--Popcorn

Oh yeah, i been thru that one too. The old lady watched me shoot craps once when i was still playing and never again.
She said something to the effect of i had little regard for money.
I just looked at her and said : Youre supposed to be concerned about money while youre gambling ??? lol

Tom_In_Cincy
03-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Talking to strangers about your friends/regular pool players is a personal choice.

Personally, I won't give out info while talking to strangers about my family or friends. Under no circumstances.

Its like a stranger wanting to know your friends telephone number or address. I just ask for a phone number from the stranger and let the friend get back to them. Its not wise to give out this personal info to strangers..why make an exception at a pool hall?

DSAPOLIS
03-13-2003, 12:19 PM
....if you're ever in a pool hall and can't figure out who the sucker is, it's probably you.... at this link
www.8ball.org/blackjack.htm (http://www.8ball.org/blackjack.htm)
I have an article entitled "Gone Fishin'" that explains what to look for in gamblers, hustlers, road players, and good pool players.

Blackjack David Sapolis
El Paso, Tx

wolfsburg2
03-14-2003, 07:12 AM
matt damon in "rounders" says something like this "if after x minutes at the table you can't spot the fish, you are the fish"

i don't see a problem giving a little bit of info. i man as far as saying, he is "pretty good" or something like that, but i wouldn't go around telling all about a players speed, like"100 ball straight pool player"

Predator314
03-14-2003, 08:02 AM
That's a great article Blackjack.