PDA

View Full Version : Practicing 1-pocket?

Predator314
03-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Can anyone tell me some good ways to practice playing one-pocket when playing by myself (not with myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I like to practice on days when nobody is around.

NBC-BOB
03-10-2003, 08:22 AM
I've practiced one pocket by myself on a half dozen occasions and always seem to forget which side I broke on and which pocket is mine.After awhile it gets to boring to me playing by myself.I guess you could practice your opening break and try to come up with some practice drills for keeping the cueball in front of your opponents pocket!

Paul_Mon
03-10-2003, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> Can anyone tell me some good ways to practice playing one-pocket when playing by myself (not with myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I like to practice on days when nobody is around. <hr /></blockquote>

This may sound too obvious, but play both sides of the game. I do this and had to resort to using a coin to remember which pocket I needed to shoot at. It's an excellent practice tool. When playing this way I try to be ultra conservative. Don't try any of those wild sellout shots.

Practice the 1, 2, 3 and 4 rail banks and kicks. Spend some time removing balls from in front of the corner pockets.

Truly there are many things to practice.

Paul Mon~~~~~get some good 1 pocket books/videos

Troy
03-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Practicing breaks followed by break escapes is always good.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> Can anyone tell me some good ways to practice playing one-pocket when playing by myself (not with myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I like to practice on days when nobody is around. <hr /></blockquote>

Mike H
03-10-2003, 09:47 AM
I like to practice just the break for a little bit. Sometimes, with a good break, you'll be able to keep your opponent backpedaling for the whole game. Another good one is to break the balls open, hitting the 2d and 3d balls instead of the 1st and 2d, then take BIH and try to get as many balls as possible, playing to the pocket you broke to. Also, returning the break shot, banking, kicking balls away from your opponent's pocket, and specialty shots also deserve some attention.

Yuppie
03-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Can someone show a good break?

I'm interested in learning a little about the game, but don't even know where to begin aside from a good break shot.

Paul_Mon
03-10-2003, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> Can someone show a good break?

I'm interested in learning a little about the game, but don't even know where to begin aside from a good break shot. <hr /></blockquote>

Aim to make the head ball strike the the first diamond, spin the cue ball to rebound back to position A. Good luck

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg8Y8%QP1Y9%UP4Q4%V f7Y4%WI6D4
%XN4N7%eC2`4
)END

smfsrca
03-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Play some run out one pocket with 3 or more players as an alternative to your usual ring game.
The player breaks the balls wide open, takes ball in hand and runs balls into the same corner pocket until missing, then the next player shoots. Whoever gets the most balls in wins the loot. One tie all tight, ante up and do it again.

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> Can someone show a good break?

I'm interested in learning a little about the game, but don't even know where to begin aside from a good break shot. <hr /></blockquote>http://www.cues.com/one-pocket.html

Fred

dddd
03-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Shooting one pocket, by yourself is a challenge. You must understand there are phases and parts of the game you cannot recreate realistically, on the practice table.

There are many types of shots that come up in one pocket that do not come up as much in other games. Learn to see the angles and shoot the shots.
Short rail banks, from the side pocket down to practically on the rail itself
Two rails long rail banks,
One rail straight backs
Crossing the q ball and object ball to bank

Shoot speed shots, shots that location is the primary desire.

Kicking to get a good hit
Kick to remove a ball from his pocket

Long shots off angle and against the rail shoot them by the hundreds.
Shooting both long and short shots with the only aim is to put the q ball against the rail, against his ball, in the pack, and many other locations, whatever your heart can think of.

Rack the balls and break them up. Take ball in hand run as many in one pocket, when you miss change pockets. Next miss start over.
Keep score and in 5 games add number of balls made and next time you play this game see if you score better. The idea is to record and keep scores, not just to play around; you need a concrete return on you time spent at the practice table.

There are many more shots to be practiced, learn to bank and hit where you aim with the q ball, because the other player will try to keep you from having any decent shot to attempt, so there will be many shots of less than good returns you must be able to hit with some measure of precision.

in one pocket there will not be too many good shots to shoot, most times if a bank comes up you will be thankful for that "easy" shot, more often there will be off angles, and no pocket to shoot a ball, so bank hundreds of balls.
so with all this practice, remember the one thing to control without question - control the q ball, put it where you plan to and always have a plan.

HalSmith
03-11-2003, 04:23 AM
I find it hard to believe that some one would ask such a question. There are so many shots and moves to learn that you come up against every time you play a game. I am sure there must be some shot you can't make or missed last game that you would want to improve on. I like to break and get out of it, I think that getting out of a break is so crucial. I also practice the long 2 rails and leaving cb froze to the rack, to froce other player to shoot where he doesn't want to.----Smitty