PDA

View Full Version : Pool Room Sizing

03-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Sizing up area of basement for pool table. Chairs etc are in another area. We put masking tape down to give us an idea of location. For a 4x8 table the guide says you need 13 ft 2 in. We have 14 ft from wall to support pillar. When I lay out a cue from the wall to the table edge (masking tape), it doesn't look like there's enough room. Does that 13-2 figure include some room for pulling to cue back before a shot??

Thanks!

Popcorn
03-10-2003, 08:49 AM
You need 58 inches x 2 + the playing surface of the table (44 inches) + a few inches to move the cue. 13 ft 2 inches is not quite enough.

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jcm1229:</font><hr> Sizing up area of basement for pool table. Chairs etc are in another area. We put masking tape down to give us an idea of location. For a 4x8 table the guide says you need 13 ft 2 in. We have 14 ft from wall to support pillar. When I lay out a cue from the wall to the table edge (masking tape), it doesn't look like there's enough room. Does that 13-2 figure include some room for pulling to cue back before a shot??

Thanks!
<hr /></blockquote>I think it's a damned shame that the pool table companies, and even the billiard magazines put out such bad information.

For an 8' table, the cueball area is 44" x 88". If you add a standard stick length (59") plus, say, 6" inches of backswing to each side, then that comes up to 14.5' x 18.2'

If you use a 58" stick length (which may not account for tip and bumper), then the width drops down to 14' 4" x 18' for a 6" backswing when the cueball is on the cushions.

Notice that for an 8' table, the measurement isn't simply adding 10' to each dimension (i.e., 14 x 18). That doesn't work. You'd be disappointed at the lack of room on the width dimension. A million people have given that dimension as advice for an 8' table without realizing that it really doesn't make much sense.

Fred