PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball 3-foul in a "friendly" game

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Yesterday we had a session-ending get-together for the CSPL. We always have a 9-ball line tournament along with everything else. It's pretty much a friendly affair. You really don't even see that much safety play amongst the low to intermediate players.

Well this one guy had lost about 6 games in a row. His next game was against me. I guess he decided to change his strategy. After I had scratched he played safe trying to 3-foul me. I kicked out of it when I was on 2 fouls though. I thought that was kind of chintzy of him to do that.

Are there unwritten rules regarding 3-fouling your opponent? I don't play enough 9-ball to know.

Wally

Tom_In_Cincy
03-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Wally,

No un-written rules that I know of, but in a tournament, it should be 'announced' at the beginning if it is to be used or not.

But there is a written BCA rule. And, the 3 foul rule is part of the game.

In a friendly tournament of that type, the 3 foul rule, IMO, should not be allowed.

Paul_Mon
03-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Wally,

Playing "friendly" 9 ball I would not try to three foul anyone. In any kind of tournament I would try to win any way possible within the rules. Yesterday I was playing friendly sets of 9 ball and on a few occasions did not play combinations on the 9 ball with BIH. I would rather have the runout.

Paul Mon

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Yesterday we had a session-ending get-together for the CSPL. We always have a 9-ball line tournament along with everything else. It's pretty much a friendly affair. You really don't even see that much safety play amongst the low to intermediate players.

Well this one guy had lost about 6 games in a row. His next game was against me. I guess he decided to change his strategy. After I had scratched he played safe trying to 3-foul me. I kicked out of it when I was on 2 fouls though. I thought that was kind of chintzy of him to do that.

Are there unwritten rules regarding 3-fouling your opponent? I don't play enough 9-ball to know.

Wally <hr /></blockquote>

03-10-2003, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

No un-written rules that I know of, but in a tournament, it should be 'announced' at the beginning if it is to be used or not.

But there is a written BCA rule. And, the 3 foul rule is part of the game.

In a friendly tournament of that type, the 3 foul rule, IMO, should not be allowed.
<hr /></blockquote>

i wonder why the t.d. should have to announce that a particular written bca rule will be enforced. i usually consider friendly play to be a form of practice and you really should practice the whole game. that includes 3-foul or taking the 9 on early combo/carom type shots which is really looked down on some places.

i changed the culture of a whole room some time back by insisting on going for the kill early in "fun" 9-ball all the time. pretty soon, i got everybody to agree that it made more sense to practice that way.

honestly, the way i usually do it is that if the win comes real early then we do a spot&amp;go. put the 9 back up on the spot, shooter who made it get's immediate ball in hand and keeps going. that way you can practice the killer game and still make it fun.

dan

Rich R.
03-10-2003, 10:33 AM
Wally, unless the rules were specified ahead of time, you could have just told him that you were playing by APA rules. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif There is no 3 foul rule in the APA.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2003, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Wally, unless the rules were specified ahead of time, you could have just told him that you were playing by APA rules. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif There is no 3 foul rule in the APA. <hr /></blockquote>

Nice try Rich /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think we were playing BCA rules.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2003, 11:08 AM
I shouldn't have let it bother me. Actually it didn't really bother me much at all since it's obviously within the rules. But considering the place where he and I were in the tourney (out of it) I was just a bit surprised. If it was me with BIH I would have just gone for the runout. It's much more fun. I was just curious as to the protocol.

Wally~~3-fouled somebody in a "friendly" game of 14.1 one time, but that's different /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-10-2003, 11:45 AM
HD.
This friendly tournament had more then $200 in the prize fund. AND, there were some topnotch players there.

Cincy and the surounding area has tournaments that do not allow the '3 foul rule" that's why it is announced most of the time.

I think safeties are a big part of any pool game. If you can't play a safety you don't have a complete chance of wining.

TomBrooklyn
03-10-2003, 11:46 AM
I play mostly "friendly" games. I haven't been playing in league or tournaments much lately. I wouldn't want my "friendly" games to waive any of the rules. I don't consider getting an opponent on three fouls as "killer", or "unfriendly". I think of it as an integral and interesting part of the game.

Taking the nine early is another aspect of the game that adds interest and strategy. If a combination to the nine is available it becomes incumbent on the shooter to either get to it himself or block it or remove it so his opponent can not make it.

The rules of 9-ball are pretty simple as they are and to me, removing any of the stategy and skills involved makes it less fun, not more. That's just the way I think of it. I'm not sure whether that's left brain or right brain.

Aside from all that, if I wanted to add or subtract any particular rules, I would just ask my opponent up front if he would agree to do so.

bluewolf
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I play mostly "friendly" games. I haven't been playing in league or tournaments much lately. I wouldn't want my "friendly" games to waive any of the rules. I don't consider getting an opponent on three fouls as "killer", or "unfriendly". I think of it as an integral and interesting part of the game.

Taking the nine early is another aspect of the game that adds interest and strategy. If a combination to the nine is available it becomes incumbent on the shooter to either get to it himself or block it or remove it so his opponent can not make it.

The rules of 9-ball are pretty simple as they are and to me, removing any of the stategy and skills involved makes it less fun, not more.

That being said, if I wanted to add or subtract any particular rules, I would just ask my opponent up front if he would like to do so. <hr /></blockquote>

If three fouls is allowed according to the rules, why not use it? To me, it seems like smart strategy.

'Mercy is a sickness"

laura

Nostroke
03-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I would never 3 foul someone in a friendly set unless i was way behind. If im behind 5 or 6 nuthin and someone tries to 3 foul me, i am going to be real hot! Last set for sure!

03-10-2003, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> HD.
This friendly tournament had more then $200 in the prize fund. AND, there were some topnotch players there.

Cincy and the surounding area has tournaments that do not allow the '3 foul rule" that's why it is announced most of the time.

I think safeties are a big part of any pool game. If you can't play a safety you don't have a complete chance of wining. <hr /></blockquote>

now i understand. if it's sometimes 3-foul and sometimes not then it makes sense to go ahead a mention it and cut down on the knife-fights.

and wally...$200 payout ain't all that friendly 'roun here. matter of fact it can get downright unfriendly.

dan

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>
now i understand. if it's sometimes 3-foul and sometimes not then it makes sense to go ahead a mention it and cut down on the knife-fights.

and wally...$200 payout ain't all that friendly 'roun here. matter of fact it can get downright unfriendly.

dan <hr /></blockquote>

Actually it was $100 (half went to greens fees) and at that point in the tournament neither my opponent nor myself had any chance at cashing. I mean literally zero chance. Really.

Steve Lipsky
03-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Wally, why would you want to be involved in a game where you or your opponent is not doing everything possible to win?

If the object is to win, and the three-foul is 90% and the runout is 20%, why would you handcuff your chances by trying to be a hero?

Also, three-fouling is difficult business. If you are not practicing it in "fun" situations, you will not be able to pull it off in "real" situations.

Just my opinion,
Steve

L.S. Dennis
03-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I beleive the 3 foul rule should be played everytime unless it is announce before hand. After all it is part of the official game so why shouldn't it be used?

Better yet if everyone (including all pro tournaments) would just adopt 'Grady's Rules' once and for all this would solve these unresolved questions!

03-10-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> If you are not practicing it in "fun" situations, you will not be able to pull it off in "real" situations.

Just my opinion,
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

steve put it better than i could.

3-foul, carom, combo, cheap cheeze whatever.

dan

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I thought that was kind of chintzy of him to do that.

Are there unwritten rules regarding 3-fouling your opponent? <hr /></blockquote>I'm of the opinion that if you're going to play, play by all of the rules. Executing combos on the 9-ball or three-fouling your opinion during non-serious games can only prepare you for the times you need to do it (or get out of it) in a real game. If you don't practice them during your non-competitive games, exactly when would you practice them?

Fred

Steve Lipsky
03-10-2003, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ...or three-fouling your opinion...<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like something Rush Limbaugh might do!

- Steve

eg8r
03-10-2003, 01:18 PM
LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Ralph S.
03-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Steve, that is a valid point and I gotta agree with ya.

Paul_Mon
03-10-2003, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> If you don't practice them during your non-competitive games, exactly when would you practice them?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Playing 14.1 and 1 pocket gives me lots of competitive opportunities to practice these.

Fred Agnir
03-10-2003, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ...or three-fouling your opinion...<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like something Rush Limbaugh might do!

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>
I must have had some kind of Freudian slip, but I can't see the sexual content of it.

Fred &lt;~~~ will try to find out

wolfsburg2
03-10-2003, 01:45 PM
i agree with the masses. if you are playing, you should play to win. maybe the guy takes pride in winning regardless of his place in the tournament. i have been in a friendly match and gotten 3 fouled before, and never thought twice about it. imo a good safe is just as hard if not harder than any other shot.

TomBrooklyn
03-10-2003, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>Playing 14.1 and 1 pocket gives me lots of competitive opportunities to practice these.<hr /></blockquote>Getting three foul and 9-ball combination wins comes not only from being able to execute them, but being able to recognize the opportunities where they exist ahead of time.

I've played games that I've lost on three fouls or 9-ball combos that I could have prevented had I thought ahead and not let the situation develop to my opponents advantage. Avoiding three fouls requires study of the layout of the balls to see where potential safety traps lie and then leaving whitey and the next object ball where it would be difficult for your opponent to safe you. Only by getting into these situations did I learn to be more careful on how to prevent them in the future.

While playing 14.1 and one pocket may help develop some of the same skills, the strategies are going to be somewhat different. To become adept at recognizing the peculiarities of the patterns in 9-Ball, I'd say your best off playing 9-Ball.

Steve Lipsky
03-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Well put, Tom.

stick8
04-15-2003, 01:49 AM
a rule is a rule`right!!!! a stop sign is a stopsign right? play pool!!!

sneakypapi
04-16-2003, 12:20 AM
I one time had a friend 3 foul me out in a friendly practice match. I felt that there was nothing wrong with it and maybe he wanted to see if he could do it. I feel that a 3 foul opportunity should be used when there is no other choices, but when you have an semi open table a person should work on their game to be able run out. Now, I am smarter and have never been 3 fouled out since against this opponent first, I have developed a better kicking game because of this and now will purposely break out any clusters that can be used against me even if I am on foul number 2.