PDA

View Full Version : Cue Problem???

03-10-2003, 10:55 AM
I posted this same message in the Espiritu forum but I wanted to make sure it got maximum viewing.

I recently bought a low end Espiritu and you can now feel the prongs under the finish. So far they haven't popped through the finish and it doesn't seem to effect the play. Let me say that I am very happy with the hit and feel of this cue. But I'm not sure if I should try to send it back or wait until it gets worse or try to sell it???

Since I noticed this, I have picked up just about every cue I see at the pool hall. Everyone looks at me like I'm a fool when I start groping their cues. What I have found however, is that about half of the cues I pick up seem to have inlays or prongs which can be felt thru the finish.

Some of them are worse than others and I have grabbed every major brand of cue and some customs. My Espiritu, sorry to say, is the worst of all the cues I have inspected. Even my Lucasi, which I have had for a couple of years, is better in this regard. Also, I take proper care of my cues, I don't leave them in the car all week to get hot cold hot cold hot cold....so I don't feel like it is anything I have done to it.

Anyone else have a experience with this?

Chris

SpiderMan
03-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Is it an older cue? Usually this phenomenon of things popping up and being felt through the finish is something that happens over time, as differential expansion and/or contraction occurs. The most common thing I notice is metal rings pushing up through the finish, but I suppose prongs are a potential problem as well.

SpiderMan

Paul_Mon
03-10-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Alvey:</font><hr> I posted this same message in the Espiritu forum but I wanted to make sure it got maximum viewing.

I recently bought a low end Espiritu and you can now feel the prongs under the finish. So far they haven't popped through the finish and it doesn't seem to effect the play. Let me say that I am very happy with the hit and feel of this cue. But I'm not sure if I should try to send it back or wait until it gets worse or try to sell it???

Since I noticed this, I have picked up just about every cue I see at the pool hall. Everyone looks at me like I'm a fool when I start groping their cues. What I have found however, is that about half of the cues I pick up seem to have inlays or prongs which can be felt thru the finish.

Some of them are worse than others and I have grabbed every major brand of cue and some customs. My Espiritu, sorry to say, is the worst of all the cues I have inspected. Even my Lucasi, which I have had for a couple of years, is better in this regard. Also, I take proper care of my cues, I don't leave them in the car all week to get hot cold hot cold hot cold....so I don't feel like it is anything I have done to it.

Anyone else have a experience with this?

Chris
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

I just noticed something unique too. My 2 year old Showcase cue has a ferrule that is larger in diameter than the shaft. I do not sand or use any kind of abrasives on my shafts. My opinion is that this shaft has shrunk over the last two years and the ferrule, being plastic, has not shrunk. I can certainly see how your inlays, being a different material than what they are nested in, have not shrunk. This in effect may cause them to pop. I'd send it back for evaluation. What's it going to cost them to just look at it and comment.

Paul Mon~~~~~has sent back lots of stuff

Cueless Joey
03-10-2003, 01:08 PM
I had an Espiritu cue once too.
The points were crooked and appeared to have been milled too fast.
It was way too forward heavy and had a loud hit.

03-10-2003, 02:02 PM
No it is signed 2002 and I have only had it about 3 months. It was brand new (hopefully). Maybe I will contact Russ and see what he says. I hate to pay good money $$$ for something that is defective. IFit is truly defective.

Chris

Popcorn
03-10-2003, 02:37 PM
"I posted this same message in the Espiritu forum but I wanted to make sure it got maximum viewing."

What is your point, don't you think this should be directed to Espiritu?

tateuts
03-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Sell it right now! I will buy it from you... real cheap!

OK - here's the real answer. I have a few sticks where I can feel the points. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like the way they feel! But if it bothers you, I don't think you have a problem that a refinish won't cure. It's just that the two different pieces of wood expand and shrink at different rates. A piece of paper is about 1/100th of an inch thick. Lay one down on a desk and feel the edge. It feels huge but it's hardly nothing. You're probably just feeling the inlays anyway - which have nothing to do with the structural integrity of the cue.

By the way, Paul_Mon made a brilliant observation about his Showcase cue ferrule. I always wondered why you can feel the ferrule on some cues - I always thought it was just sloppy sanding when the ferrule was installed or swelling in the tenon. But I think Paul correctly observed that the shaft shrinks and the ferrules don't.

Live and learn,

Chris

HalSmith
03-10-2003, 07:04 PM
My Olivier did the same thing, but Jerry told me it was going to because the ebony would expand a little. He said he wanted the cue back to refinish it when the swelling was through. He has rerfinished it now and it's just like new with no more swelling, he said that once it swelled a little it wouldn't do it any more.----Smitty

03-11-2003, 07:19 AM
I guess what I meant was that I posted it in an Espiritu THREAD which was started yesterday on this board. Not a forum which is what I said.

And...I was just trying to find out if this is considered somewhat normal, or if I should be jumping up and down, kicking and screaming about it to Espiritu. And I have gotten my answer. Thanks to everyone for your comments and easing my mind.

Chris

DEADSTOKE32
03-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Just send it back and get it done over .it should not cost much cause it is his cue.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif