PDA

View Full Version : Reviving A Tip's Crisp Hit

Sid_Vicious
03-10-2003, 02:47 PM
I discovered something yesterday. I have not scuffed nor tinkered with my tips in years(yes that means if they glaze, I leave them alone) but I had an idea after thinking about what I've found after looking at a "played with" tip under a microscope. I see that the edge of the crown where english is applied has sponginess, ever so slight maybe, but a softness different from it's virgin state. I broke my personal rule and put the shaft in the spinner, hit it with 80 grit for maybe 30 seconds, and slicked it with 120 grit as a finish, effectively shaving off the slightly spongy crown. The cue absolutely danced that day in the PH. It was NOT changed in it's contour(flattened), just cut down to solid material again.

So if there are players reading this who thrive on a hard hitting, "tinking" report and you have seemingly lost that in weeks following a tip install, try this method I described. Either the tip played better or I did, and after Saturday's dumper of a performance, I seriously doubt it was all me...sid

Rod
03-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Sid,
I'll just go out on a limb and say you played better! What tiny difference there was in the tip would feel almost non existent IMO. We all have days not up to par to come back and play well another day. I seriously doubt it wasn't you, plus it was not the same circumstances, or rarely is close. Maybe just the mental thought of finding what you felt could make a difference, did make a difference. Do that after the next time you play poor and see what changes. JAT

Rod

tateuts
03-10-2003, 09:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I discovered something yesterday. I have not scuffed nor tinkered with my tips in years(yes that means if they glaze, I leave them alone) but I had an idea after thinking about what I've found after looking at a "played with" tip under a microscope. I see that the edge of the crown where english is applied has sponginess, ever so slight maybe, but a softness different from it's virgin state. <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, I agree with you completely. That soft edge is like a spongy rim and needs to be shaved off.

But far more important than that is the fact that you put the tip under a microscope, shaft and all. If I did that and my wife walked in on me, that would be a Kodak moment. I mean, sitting there holding your stick under a microscope and all. I hope it's a two piece.

I wonder if bowlers do that with their bowling balls?

Reminds me of this true story. This lady used to clean her house while she was alone completely naked. While she was vacuming she picked up her sons football helmet. She put it on to free her hands up. A repairman was due to come over and came through the unlocked door when nobody answered the bell. He walked in and was startled to see this naked lady wearing nothing but a football helmet. In astonishment, he blurted out "I hope your tream wins, lady".

Regards,

Chris