PDA

View Full Version : Banking in side or corner?

03-10-2003, 10:10 PM
The OB is exactly halfway between the corner and side pocket, the CB is on the opposite rail. Is banking it in the side or corner pocket a higher percentage shot?
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%IO0D4%PO1X8%WC5[3%XN7D3%[[4[3%\O0D6%]O0E0%^O0X8

)END

03-10-2003, 10:24 PM
If both banks are equal you only have to measure the distance between the points on the corner pocket & on the side pocket, once you do that, you will realize that on most tables, the side pockets offer a larger better target, and that sir is your answer. Best Wishes, Fast Larry

Popcorn
03-10-2003, 10:32 PM
If it was a nine ball as in the drawing, I would bank at the corner. The reason being either shot can be missed, but the corner is less likely to sell out if you miss as much as the side. One seems as easy, or as hard as the other.

Rod
03-10-2003, 10:54 PM
There about equal with the side a little bigger target. Keep in mind that most people bank or see the target better one way or the other L to right or R to Left. Like popcorn says I'd favor the corner on a game ball. If you miss a little high with some speed control it's left on the end rail.

Rod

griffith_d
03-11-2003, 06:49 AM
I would go for the corner, but that is just me. It is fairly simple,..outside english and it goes.

Griff

Fred Agnir
03-11-2003, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> The OB is exactly halfway between the corner and side pocket, the CB is on the opposite rail. Is banking it in the side or corner pocket a higher percentage shot?
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%IO0D4%PO1X8%WC5[3%XN7D3%[[4[3%\O0D6%]O0E0%^O0X8

)END <hr /></blockquote>
Well... if you were playing one-pocket.....

Fred

Eric.
03-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Without a doubt, bank to the corner.

The side pocket is only a bigger pocket when you are shooting an almost straight in shot. The more angle, the smaller the pocket. Also, banking to the corner gives you 2 advantages:

if you miss short, you leave the OB on the end rail.

if you miss long, depending on the table, you may catch the end rail and still pocket the OB making the corner pocket 'bigger'.

Eric &gt;deep thoughts

smfsrca
03-11-2003, 02:27 PM
There seems to be some disagreement here amongst knowledgable players, although Larry always seems more forceful in his resolve. Do it this way, Sir!
You may not be able to make a good argument either way based on the pocket size.
If you measure the point to point width of the pocket you will find the side pocket to be slightly larger.
If you take into account the cut of the pocket you will find the corner pockets more forgiving, effectively increasing the width of the corner pocket. It is difficult to say which is more favorable on this basis. So, I think you should make the decision based on where you think the balls will go when you miss. If you miss by hitting the object ball into a pocket point the outcome will be by and large unpredictable. You will sellout probably as often as not. If you wish to maintain control of the balls then you must not risk hitting the points and should therefore miss intentionally or play the safety.
I personally shoot this shot toward the corner so my bank will miss short with a speed that will put the missed object ball near the center of the short rail. I put a small amount of outside spin on the cueball so the cue ball is left near opposite short rail. The risk here is not scratching in the corner pocket. So the amount of english, the rail action and the table speed can vary from one table to another. A fairly close starting point here for aiming is to aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball. Stroke with a speed that will drive the object ball one and a half short rail widths (6 diamonds). About a half tip of outside english (speed) will put the cue ball on the opposite short rail about 1 diamond from the corner pocket.

bluewolf
03-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Speaking as a beginner who is learning to bank: the side seems easier to bank into so I figured it was bigger but the corner is better if you miss because you are less likely to leave your opponent good.

just my humble .02

Laura

Popcorn
03-11-2003, 05:01 PM
I like your shot and it will work and is easy to execute. It is just on a nine ball, I would rather go for the hole and hope if I miss I don't sell out. Any intentional safety on a nine ball is very risky. You have passed on a chance to win, possibly only to see him bank the ball in. Or miss and leave you with nothing. You may find yourself wishing you had the original shot back you played safe on, to shoot again. That's why pool is fun, there are not really any right or wrong answers. If I was rolling along real good, I may choose Larry's shot and go for the side, with no thoughts at all in my mind of possibly missing, just a matter of what comes into my head at the time. When I am making everything I play full bore. It is amazing what you can do to another player when you are playing like that, but you can't if you won't let it happen.

smfsrca
03-11-2003, 07:26 PM
I agree with you that sometimes you just have to be more agressive and go for the cheese because it just feels right and feels sooooo good when you make it.
You've bucked the odds and came up roses.
On the other hand, if you lose, it is an unpleasant reminder that it was a bad bet. Of course, you knew that all along.

03-11-2003, 08:26 PM
I like what popcorn said, when I attempt a bank, there is no thought process that can take place that does not see the shot occuring perfect. If you begin to see shots you can make but begin to shoot them so if they miss you can be possibly safe, you are playing scared pool, and the miss looms largely in your mind, and that is usually the result you get.

I am not saying I dont shoot a two way shot if one presents it self &amp; that does make sense, I just dont plan a shot with the option to fail, to me that is negative thinking. You are also forgetting I can bank into the side and still control the cue ball to go any where I choose, and still be agressive.

Great bankers are agressive, timid bankers, usually would be better off playing a safe shot &amp; ducking, than taking an agressive bank to win. Like another man said, there is no firm answer to this one, there are a dozen variables one can imagine. Regards, Fast Larry

TomBrooklyn
03-12-2003, 06:09 AM
I like the corner on that shot. I'm not sure why, but I'd feel more confident shooting for the corner. Maybe because I'm right handed?