PDA

View Full Version : Valley Forge-Applause on deliberate foul!!!

Nostroke
03-19-2002, 06:16 PM
It was so hard to watch the big matches with so many "fans" applauding almost every shot. There was actually a pretty good amount of applause on a shot where Karen Corr took a deliberate foul (instead of kicking) to take away a combo on the nine. Furthermore she actually left another combo on the nine after it. There was applause countless times when a player pocketed the ball but snookered themselves. I just cant figure out why so many unknowledgeable fans at a pool expo. Oh Well- it was still a great weekend.

03-19-2002, 11:28 PM
Nostroke,
I used to be bewildered by that too, but I finally realized that what was being applauded was not the mistake, but rather the incoming player.

Fred Agnir
03-20-2002, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> It was so hard to watch the big matches with so many "fans" applauding almost every shot. <hr></blockquote>
This has been a big "complaint" at all of the WPBA final matches. In contrast, even though the TD asked us to whoop it up for the final matches, the men's 8-ball were mostly dead silent, with appropriate applause coming after an obviously critical shot, or hushed "egads" on a dawged ball.

Fred

Nostroke
03-20-2002, 09:20 AM
Could you be a bit more pretentious? I mean that concept is so difficult to comprehend. Only intellectuals such as yourself are capable of absorbing it. Sad that you really cant pass it along to us peons. Thanks for trying though.

PS-You cant be more wrong

Jay M
03-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Personally I believe that what pool needs is more of those "uninformed" fans. If you can EDUCATE the people who don't play and EXPLAIN what they just saw, or may see, you will have more interest in the game in general. You will have more enthusiasts and that will generate more income for the industry.

It's been asked why golf has the big sponsorships and pool doesn't even though the skill levels to play the games and the techniques used are often compared to one another. The answer is exactly the dilemma that you describe. Anyone can see whether the golf ball landed near the hole or on the fairway. Everyone can see that Tiger Wood's 900 yard drive landed in the sand on the next hole and understand that what happened was a bad thing. The viewing public understands that the player is going to try to "curve" the golf ball around a bend (dogleg) in the course (and most know whether it is hook or slice although that is not a necessity).

Understanding the game and what they are seeing is a KEY component to enjoying the game. The reason that the people watching are applauding is because the ball fell in the hole, an intuitive concept and easily demonstrated.

Uninformed people would be bored to death watching some of the games I play as I am a strong safety player (5 of the 7 or so games that I won at the US Open were three-fouls). The average person wouldn't even realize that there is a strategy involved, thinking that I just "got lucky".

Inform and educate the people and they will get interested. If the people get interested they will watch. If the people are watching, sponsors will come.

Jay M

Rich R.
03-20-2002, 01:54 PM
The crowd is also encouraged by Steve T., the TD, to applaud and cheer as much as possible. They believe it makes for better TV. I guess they are right. If a channel surfer happens upon a pool match, and the crowd is totally dead silent, it would not appear to be something good to watch. If the crowd is clapping and cheering, you may catch a channel surfer long enough for them to get interested. If it helps bring in viewers, sponsors and keep pool on TV, I say clap until your hands hurt. Rich R.

Q-guy
03-20-2002, 08:21 PM
How about the televised matches where they pick the shot of the night. They pick some lucked in kick shot or even a nine on the break. Who do they think they are marketing this stuff too, complete idiots? I guess so.

heater451
03-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Nostroke, that's not condescenscion, that's part of Lorri's signature.

Q-guy
03-20-2002, 08:31 PM
You are right, but that is not what they do. Ever see some of their tips of the week on TV. Are they kidding, who produces that stuff? There are a room full of pool players there, and the production is moronic. A non-player learns nothing from most of the broadcast pool matches. Some of their comments are laughable. I don't play golf at all and I find myself tuning into the golf channel all the time. I love the old World Of Golf matches and the pro shop show. You actually learn something on that channel. I am jealous.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 08:39 PM
In the TV comic world it is called "Canned Laughter" in the TV (ESPN) Pool World.. its call "Canned applause"

Both are use to get the real audience more involved with the action.

Nostroke
03-21-2002, 01:17 AM
Sorry Lorri-didnt know that was your signature but id lose it if i were you. Nothing cool about it.

#### leonard
03-21-2002, 02:16 PM
This is a true story for Jay. Little Casear wass to play Ralp Greenleaf an exhibition in Albany NY and before the game Little Casear ask if Ralph minded if he play a safe game as that was his style of play. Ralph told him play your game. Ralph lost the lag for break badly and then gave Little Casear a rotation break. He ran 7 balls and missed and Ralph ran 125 an out. For my money all the saftey play in the world would end up getting cut out of any TV match.####

Jay M
03-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Yes, both offense and defense have their place. I won't turn down a clear run to try and screw around with safeties, but if the other player is on a foul, there's nothing wrong with playing for the three foul if the balls are tied up.

I may duck just a bit too often, but even the champions I've played have made it clear afterwards that they wouldn't want to get into an extended safety battle.

Jay M

03-21-2002, 06:20 PM
Well, Nostroke, I think Ed Koch (from whom the quote originally came) would disagree. I not only find it enjoyable and amusing, but sometimes also very apt.

Doctor_D
03-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Good evening;

Let's just chalk it up to adrenelin overload!!!

Dr. D.