PDA

View Full Version : Another cue problem

03-11-2003, 02:16 AM
I just recently started playing pool again after a long time off. I have a Joss cue, and when went to use it again I noticed it didn't quite roll straight. It doesn't wobble alot, just enough to annoy me(it didn't do this the last time I played with it.) When I roll the shaft and butt alone, both roll fine. But when they are together and I roll the stick on the table the tip wobbles up and down about a quarter inch. The cue still seems to play great, but still rhe wobble is annoying. Any suggestions, or am I just worrying too much?

JohnnyP
03-11-2003, 05:15 AM
A good cue repair guy should be able to fix that. My stick had been wobbling for years, too.

I finally took it in to have a cracked ferrule replaced, and asked them to see if they could do anything to straighten it out.

Cost me $100, but now I love the stick again. I don't break with it anymore, either.

Fred Agnir
03-11-2003, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johnnypanic:</font><hr> I just recently started playing pool again after a long time off. I have a Joss cue, and when went to use it again I noticed it didn't quite roll straight. It doesn't wobble alot, just enough to annoy me(it didn't do this the last time I played with it.) When I roll the shaft and butt alone, both roll fine. But when they are together and I roll the stick on the table the tip wobbles up and down about a quarter inch. The cue still seems to play great, but still rhe wobble is annoying. Any suggestions, or am I just worrying too much? <hr /></blockquote>
Check the joint faces for dirt.

Fred

tateuts
03-11-2003, 04:46 PM
It's usually in the shaft. You have a lot of roll-out so somethings pretty wrong here. 1/8" roll out is a pretty good warp, 1/4" is nasty. Here's what to do. Lay the shaft on a hard flat counter and turn it slowly observing the gap between the shaft and the counter. If it is warped, you will see it in the changing gap. Do the same with the butt, and look for any rising at the joint or butt cap, or lifting and falling in the handle. If both parts are straight (which I really doubt)the joint needs to be refaced - an easy operation for a cue maker.

Hopefully it's just the shaft and you can get a new one. If the butt is warped, as far as I know it can only be sucessfully straightened by turning it down.

Good luck,

Chris

Chris

03-11-2003, 06:15 PM
I followed your directions. When I rolled the shaft on a counter and looked at the gap at the center of the shaft, i I did notice the gap size change slightly. Didn't notice any problems with the butt. I am somewhat relieved, I had planned on getting a new shaft anyway as I wanted a smaller tip size from the 13.25. Now I have an excuse to take the plunge.

tateuts
03-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Yep - you got it. That warping will affect your play too, believe me - the shaft really makes the cue.

Chris

03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johnnypanic:</font><hr> I just recently started playing pool again after a long time off. I have a Joss cue, and when went to use it again I noticed it didn't quite roll straight. It doesn't wobble alot, just enough to annoy me(it didn't do this the last time I played with it.) When I roll the shaft and butt alone, both roll fine. But when they are together and I roll the stick on the table the tip wobbles up and down about a quarter inch. The cue still seems to play great, but still rhe wobble is annoying. Any suggestions, or am I just worrying too much? <hr /></blockquote>
maybe a bent pin or something like that?