PDA

View Full Version : Total Matches played with new WPBA format?

Photoguy
03-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Does anybody know if there were more/less/same number of total matches played in the the Delta tournament with the new WPBA bracket system?

Ken
03-11-2003, 07:12 AM
I'm going to guess that it's the same. If you have 64 total players then 62 have to be eliminated with two losses before the finals which makes 124 matches. One of the finalists has one loss for 125 matches and then the finals which makes 126. They still all have to lose the same number regardless of the format.
KenCT

Troy
03-11-2003, 08:49 AM
OK Ken, but you didn't figure in the 16 first and 16 second round byes.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> I'm going to guess that it's the same. If you have 64 total players then 62 have to be eliminated with two losses before the finals which makes 124 matches. One of the finalists has one loss for 125 matches and then the finals which makes 126. They still all have to lose the same number regardless of the format.
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
03-11-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> OK Ken, but you didn't figure in the 16 first and 16 second round byes. <hr /></blockquote>
Troy, Ken's calculation appears to be correct. It was a full 64 player field.
There were no byes.

You may be thinking of the modified format, used last year, where the top players received byes. They are not using that format this year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See the brackets for this tournament. http://www.wpba.com/cms/?pid=1000006

Ken
03-11-2003, 09:49 AM
The previous format didn't have byes. It simply exempted some of the pros from playing in certain rounds and they didn't play until some players were eliminated. It guaranteed that of the 32 players that started out, 16 of them that went two and out could not face one of the exempted pros.

In a format that is not full, the byes are not matches but they need not be accounted for. The total number of players determines how many matches it takes to give all but two of them 2 losses. Then in a single elimination final 2 more losses among the two finalists determines the outcome.

If instead of counting losses I count wins, then each bye that I count as a win I would also have to subtract as not being a match. It should come out the same either way.
KenCT

Ken
03-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Rich, We were comparing the two formats. The question is whether the number of matches would differ between last year's format with the "byes" versus a straight 64 player format. I was thinking the number is the same.
KenCT