PDA

View Full Version : A Player Stonewalls His Own Team

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Ok it seemed as a no brainer to me, y'all play short and get the games over with. The team we were playing against(whom we were right behind in the standings) had one player who was there in the house BUT had decided he was mad enough about something to do with their team that he was NOT going to play. That left them one short, and their captain was wrangling deals all the way up to match time with my captain & the LD, actually putting a margin of guilt in them to some degree through what I call indimidation. One scenario was to play their guys that night, and then we'd play one of their non present players from last night as a sort of filler for the current nights scores. WHAT! I went "Huh, I never heard of this much concern over a teams shortage problems, especially when their guy IS sitting there but not going to play due to HIS choice." Our guys had driven in from a ways, I know I did so it was my contention that, "Tough, we're playing."

Do you think the other captain had any validity for a postponement or adjustment? Btw, something else occurred and I really did not know this is how it works. The wins we got for the ghost player was only our individual handicap. Is that normal procedure? This is the first handicap league I've played in, in a long time. I was thinking the whole 10 points for the win was the award. I had no arguements, I'd just like to know that this is normal...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2003, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
....Do you think the other captain had any validity for a postponement or adjustment? ......<hr /></blockquote>

No. Screw 'em.

The first thing I learned in league play:
"Number 1 rule...show up and be ready to play"

Kato
03-11-2003, 10:59 AM
First of all, I'm the captain of a team. If anyone on my team does that to me they are gone. Period, no excuses. You show up you better be prepared to play.

Second, he's a jerk for doing that to his team. When you're on a team you have to put the team in front of your individuality (short of sandbagging). That guy doesn't, I don't want him around.

Kato~~~captain against his will but captain non-the-less.

Rod
03-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Sid,
That has to be some kind of joke, not really but you know. I quit playing leagues long ago for some similar reasons. The turn off about leagues is your players drive a distance to play and something like this happens. The captain should have agreed to play as is without making up excuses. Whether or not he dumps the player from the team is his decision. If I was on that team, I'd quit the team right then and there but not before a few choice words to the Captain and momas boy that refused to play. I can get real cold in some situations and what I say doesn't bother me. This is a prime time example. I got hot just thinking about it, thanks for the reminder.

~~~~Rod, other than that I stay pretty calm. LOL

WaltVA
03-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Sid – The primary function of the team captain is to get his players to the right place at the right time and have them ready to play. This guy should have dealt with his player’s “issue” before the match, or brought in another player. He didn’t have a player willing to play when needed – he didn’t do his job.

Any attempt to bargain, intimidate or cajole a “deal” is uncalled for, IMO. Take the hit and move on – deal with your player and his “issue” before the next match as you see fit, but don’t try to involve your opponents.

Walt in VA

Eric.
03-11-2003, 01:09 PM
My experience with league play is limited, haven't done alot of team play. Here's my take on it:

1. Because the other team has a full squad, if they don't play one of the players, it should be a forfeit.

2. the league rep/manager has the final say-so. He/she may set up rules that are particular to your area, but not nationally.

I feel your pain, Sid. I'll give you a quick story of my own-

I recently joined a T.A.P. team. The rule is "Teams have 15 minutes from start time to put up a player. If no player is put up, it is a forfeit of that match. Then you have 5 minutes before the next forfeit." Basically, have everyone there on time. My team played another team recently. They only had 2 players at post time. We put up, they put up. After the first match, we put up our 2nd player. The other team's player didn't want to play our guy. She wanted to wait til her other teammate got there because it would have been a better matchup for them. We reminded them about the 5 minute rule. At the 4 minute mark, she goes to the bathroom adn stays in there until the other guy arrives. This is 20 minutes later. We flipped. After calling our league op, he ruled in their favor and said "just play".

I guess I'm trying to say that even though it isn't right, the league operator has the final say. Right or wrong. Sorry you got screwed.

Eric &gt;knows that feeling

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Oh no we didn't get screwed, the match WAS played with them being short a player. It was simply a circus before the play began, and even though I could understand some of what the captain was going through, I saw little reason to adjust the pre-set rules about forcing the match...sid

Eric.
03-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Sorry, my bad. Glad it worked out /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kato
03-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Walt, I respectfully disagree with you. Team captains shouldn't have to babysit adults. I told everyone on my team before we started that I wouldn't be their personal babysitter. I don't make phone calls to make sure they are going to be there, everyone has a schedule. I don't keep score every rack. I don't handle personal issues. What I do is collect the money, sign the sheet, and deal with league issues. Winning is up to them. I'm going to try and put my team in the best possible position to win. It's my players job to get us there. If a player has a problem his job is to call me, if he/she doesn't then they are dealt with fairly by the rest of the team, not me though I'll carry out their wishes.

If grown adults need babysitters they don't need to play in leagues. Leave your personal crap at home, it's supposed to be fun.

Bring your game, bring your cues, bring the fun, have some beers. Leave your attitude for home.

As far as cutting a deal is concerned. Hogwash. As an opposing captain I wouldn't have allowed it.

Kato

WaltVA
03-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Kato, I'm not sure we're in disagreement. Maybe I wasn't clear, but I don't call players either. They call me if for any reason they aren't going to be able to play. Sid didn't say what the other team's player was mad about, but it's either something the captain should have known about and settled prior to the match, or it's just a player acting like an idiot at the last minute, in which case he's gone for the future, but the team's stuck for the night, and they take the hit for the forfeit and move on. No way would I try to make a deal, either way.

Walt in VA

Kato
03-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Your explaination is perfectly clear this time Walt. The way I read your first post it sounded like you believed it's the captains job to hold hands. Thanks for clarifying.

As far as Sid's situation goes, I read that the guy was just acting like a brat about something. I could be wrong, I was wrong about you, but that's what I read.

Kato~~~really hates league but still enjoys the social atmosphere.