PDA

View Full Version : 8' table questions....

Yuppie
03-11-2003, 11:29 AM
How does an 8' table affect YOUR game when going to the hall and jumping on a 9'?

Recommend getting an 8' table for the home?

I notice on most home 8' tables, the cloth is a thicker felt than the stuff at my local hall. The balls tend to slow down a lot faster than they would roll on the other cloth. Is this thicker felt necessary or could you use better felt for rolling rather than stopping?

Rich R.
03-11-2003, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> How does an 8' table affect YOUR game when going to the hall and jumping on a 9'?

<font color="blue">It is not too big of a difference. When you get on the 9' foot tables, practice the longer shots when you can. Everything less than 8', you can practice on the smaller table. </font color>

<font color="blue"> Any table is better than none. Although I would prefer a 9' table, my home table is an 8'. </font color>

I notice on most home 8' tables, the cloth is a thicker felt than the stuff at my local hall. The balls tend to slow down a lot faster than they would roll on the other cloth. Is this thicker felt necessary or could you use better felt for rolling rather than stopping?

<font color="blue">You can get an 8' table covered in any type cloth you want. Talk to the dealer. Keep in mind, there may be a little price difference. Although I had the thicker cloth, I recently had my table recovered with Simonis 860. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
03-11-2003, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> How does an 8' table affect YOUR game when going to the hall and jumping on a 9'?<hr /></blockquote>For my game, transitioning from an 8' table to the same but bigger 9' table is an easier transition. Transitioning from a 9' to an 8' same table conditions is more difficult for me.

I know a lot of people will say otherwise, but unless they are actually in a position to try it out, it's all theory. A local pool hall opened up with 9' and 8' Connelly tables. We had a tournament there when the conditions were brand new just a few weeks ago. The experience confirmed for me that it was difficult to transition down (we practiced on 9's and played on 8's) and no problem whatsoever transitioning up. It was also an eye opener for my teammates who couldn't help but agree and comment that "you would have thought it was the opposite."

Of course, YMMV.

Fred

Predator314
03-11-2003, 01:15 PM
I play mostly 9-ball. The transition from an 8' to a 9' is not that bad. The only problem is position on the 9' can leave you stretching for shots or using the bridge more often that you have to. The transition from 9' back to 8' is very easy for me. If I played 8-ball it might make it a little more difficult because the balls can be a little more bunched up. The transition from either to a bar box is super easy for me. The only problem is getting used to hitting those 37lb cue balls. If I go from a bar box to an 8' or 9', it's a little more difficult because I have difficulties controlling the cue ball.

If you have the room, I would recommend a 9' table. If not, then take what you can get. It could be worse. You could be me and only have room for a Fisher Price pool table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul_Mon
03-11-2003, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> How does an 8' table affect YOUR game when going to the hall and jumping on a 9'?

I notice on most home 8' tables, the cloth is a thicker felt than the stuff at my local hall. The balls tend to slow down a lot faster than they would roll on the other cloth. Is this thicker felt necessary or could you use better felt for rolling rather than stopping? <hr /></blockquote>

I play virtually all my pool on Simonis covered 9' tables. This past Sunday I went to Tommy T's house and played all afternoon on his 8' Gold Crown with Simonis. Tom's table is cut with fairly tight pockets (4.25") so two balls will not fit into the pocket. IMO I played the same as always and in my mind there wasn't any difference. The results of this match up with Tom were consistent with our previous meetings.

Paul Mon

NBC-BOB
03-11-2003, 01:27 PM
It sounds like the 8 ft tables have a different cloth on them.It makes it a lot easier if your home table has the same cloth as the tables you play on when you go out and play.This way you won't have such a tough time adjusting
to the speed of the different cloth's.Once you reach a certain level of play I think it's easy to go between an 8ft and 9ft without any problems.That being said if your fundamentals are solid! then you won't see any problems
between the two sizes.

bluewolf
03-11-2003, 02:55 PM
We have a '8 ft table that we practice on everyday. We play league on '9 tables. I play worse on the '9 but ww plays about the same. I figure that is because he is a better player.

Laura