PDA

View Full Version : Hey eg8r, here's the ultimate dumb celeb

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Chrissie Hynde
One of the oft-repeated whines you hear from the anti-war crowd is that people say they're anti-American or that they're supporting Hussein by calling for continued inspections. Celebs say they're just exercising their right to free speech and being patriotic Americans by criticizing our government. Well how about someone who openly wishes for the United States to lose a war in Iraq, and says we deserve to lose? That's exactly what Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders said at a recent concert:
<font color="blue"> ...opined that she hopes the United States loses if it goes to war with Iraq ("Bring it on! Give us what we deserve!")</font color>
That's right, all of our young men and women in the armed forces deserve to die. You may feel like you deserve to be a loser, but why do we deserve it Chrissie? Because we're a free country, where a woman, even an empty-headed vegan like you, is free to play in a rock band and spout idiotic hate-filled nonsense like this? If you took to the stage in Iraq and said you hoped Iraq lost the war, Hussein would have your family tortured in front of you before having you raped and tortured to death and then fed to the dogs. I guess that's the side that deserves to win.

Chrissie's "vegan-fueled chutzpah" has never been in short supply (she once called for the assasination of corporate executives), but she's surprisingly ignorant on the subject of war with Iraq:
On the possibility of a war with Iraq, however, she seems disconnected. <font color="red">She says she never watches U.S. news and has never been on the Internet. The liberal Guardian is the one newspaper she buys in England. </font color>
At least she admits she doesn't know what's going on, which is more than you can say for most other celebrities.
Like any celebrity activist worth the name, she does have her cause though. The woman who wishes death on American troops and would like to see CEOs assasinated doesn't like it when The Gap sells leather:
The Pretenders singer demonstrated outside almost every Gap store that had the misfortune of being open when she and the Pretenders tore through town on their recent tour.
Way to go Chrissie, I'm sure all the dead cows in China are much happier knowing their skins aren't being sold at The Gap. Fortunately the US military still wears boots made of leather, boots that will be kicking in the door of Saddam Hussein's palace.

http://www.dumbcelebs.com/blog/archives/000038.html

snipershot
03-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Although I hope a solution is found other than war, if it comes down to that, I hope the U.S. whoops Saddam Hussein's butt all over Iraq (not the innocent people of Iraq). It was pretty stupid of her to say she hopes the U.S. loses if it goes to war.

eg8r
03-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I missed the opportunity to hear that quote. She does seem like an air head. Even if she is being honest about her ignorance, I truly do not believe she has the right to deceive. This might bring up an issue with those on the board that proclaim free speech, but I just disagree. There are always exceptions and a call for the death and defeat of our soldiers is wrong and I personally do not feel this is the use of free speech. I am not sure what the law of the land is in England and if they have free speech over there, but surely there should be a limit. Maybe she can bed with Alec Baldwin and they can have a bountiful litter once they arrive on that beautiful liberal island of paradise. I just wish they would shut up for the rest of their search.

I don't feel anyone has the right to die or deserves to die, but she is running up the list of those that "might" deserve it. LOL I really hope Americans all over will show their support of her mouth and not attend her concerts here.

eg8r

eg8r
03-11-2003, 09:07 PM
I do hope for a quick movement through Iraq and a short rebuilding process. As far as her remark being stupid, I don't even know if that expresses my sentiment enough. I wonder just how much of her income comes from the American people. If she is a woman and stands by what she says, then she should refuse to accept any money from American soil. Why would she want to prosper from a country she openly defies. This obviously will not happen, and she will continue to collect however it is a suggestion.

eg8r &lt;She will never be Bobby Knight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (if this does not make sense then read the current reports about Bobby, he stands by his word.)

heater451
03-12-2003, 09:51 AM
eg8r,

About the only real limits for freedom of speech in America amount to inciteful or suspicious activity. Classic examples are: 1) Threatening the President, 2) yelling, "Fire", in a crowded theater (and the like), and 3) asking if your airline flight goes to Cuba.

I **personally**,believe that Hynde still has a right to take the stand she has, but I also agree with you regarding how American fans should react (by not buying her music).

A funny thing, and this is coming from my ignorance of the true origin of her band's name, is that she's such a fanatic, but she's become rich and famous as a "Pretender". . . .

====================

eg8r
03-12-2003, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
About the only real limits for freedom of speech in America amount to inciteful or suspicious activity. Classic examples are: 1) Threatening the President, 2) yelling, "Fire", in a crowded theater (and the like), and 3) asking if your airline flight goes to Cuba.

I **personally**,believe that Hynde still has a right to take the stand she has, ... <hr /></blockquote> I understand what you are saying and it is what it is. I as an American put our soldiers, out there in the battle field fighting for their country, on the same level as our President. I know this is not how the Free Speech mantra is written, but just my own personal opinion. Once the President has given authority to go to war, then those men and women are the ones in control and doing the work. If someone in the states says they hope we lose then they are shouting out a call to kill our soldiers (how else would we lose, surrender?) and this is where I draw the comparison to your first example "Threaten the President". Sure it might be far fetched but that is my interpretation. I do not know if she is an American citizen or not. If she is not, then it is all for nill and we should all agree and clump her into the large group calling for a Jihad against America. She is no better than them so I will lump her in with them.

eg8r

heater451
03-12-2003, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> If someone in the states says they hope we lose then they are shouting out a call to kill our soldiers (how else would we lose, surrender?) and this is where I draw the comparison to your first example "Threaten the President". Sure it might be far fetched but that is my interpretation.<hr /></blockquote>
I can't equate the two, but I can understand how you can feel the way you do.--At the very least, she could find a more constructive way to oppose the war. Take note, though, that it's impossible, to be a half-hearted fanatic. . . .
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I do not know if she is an American citizen or not. If she is not, then it is all for nill and we should all agree and clump her into the large group calling for a Jihad against America. She is no better than them so I will lump her in with them.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>FWIW, I found one reference, that says that she's originally from Akron, Ohio.

====================