PDA

View Full Version : Yellowing in Old Meucci Cues

tateuts
03-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Some of the old white plastics really yellowed with age. Do any of you cue refinishers have a good way of whitening up that old plastic in the refinishing process, especially on Meucci's? Or, should I just leave it yellow? Can it be bleached, dyed, or painted? I'm afraid of trying to sand through it - it's too deep - seems like the yellow is not just on the surface. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

SpiderMan
03-11-2003, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Some of the old white plastics really yellowed with age. Do any of you cue refinishers have a good way of whitening up that old plastic in the refinishing process, especially on Meucci's? Or, should I just leave it yellow? Can it be bleached, dyed, or painted? I'm afraid of trying to sand through it - it's too deep - seems like the yellow is not just on the surface. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

While it's true that some of the white plastics yellowed with age, I don't personally find it unattractive. In many cases, I think it looks good. Of course, what you have may not be plastic yellowing but the thick layer of varnish. I have an old Palmer cue from the '70s that is an example of that. All the white looks yellowed, but in a few places where the varnish is chipped and flaking the plastic is still showing white underneath. If that is the case with your cue, it would be white again if refinished. Of course, I wouldn't think about refinishing unless the varnish is already chipped anyway. If the varnish is not chipped then I'd keep the yellowed look.

SpiderMan

Cueless Joey
03-11-2003, 06:21 PM
I saw one Moochi like that last night.
I suspect bad plastic and/or lacquer finish.

#### leonard
03-13-2003, 07:49 AM
Anyone with an old set of Brunswick Centennials can vouch for the Yellow Look. Most players find that look preferable to new balls.####