PDA

View Full Version : Impact of cleanliness of balls on throw and englis

hhsaloon
03-12-2003, 07:53 AM
I assume that cleaning the debris off the balls is important for more than aesthetics. But I am interested in the opinion of the pool masses as to how important it is to throw and english or any other aspect of play it may effect. How often should they be cleaned/polished assuming on average 1-2 hours of play/day?

I recently bought a set of pretty expensive Centennials, any recommendations on how to keep them clean? Thanks.

L.S. Dennis
03-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Without having any expensive ball polishing machines, there are ball polishers on the market that can be bought.

In answer to the other question, clean them as ofter as you can because dirty balls make a big difference in the way that they react on the table.

mickey2
03-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Imo it makes a huge difference whether the balls are clean or not.
Just thing how different a rack opens when playing 14/1.
With dirty balls there is also always a higher danger of a potage - donít know the correct spelling and whatís the correct English name for this effect. Sometimes balls stick together for a very short time which easily causes to miss the shot.

Mickey2

Alfie
03-12-2003, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hhsaloon:</font><hr> I recently bought a set of pretty expensive Centennials, any recommendations on how to keep them clean? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>What you are trying to rid the balls of is the hand wax that accumulates on them from handling. Use a mild soap and make sure you rinse completely (no soap residue).

03-12-2003, 02:37 PM
I am afraid you guys may be running down the wrong path here. I have a post on this subject, see it under Ray Martin's shot #56, dirty balls throw better than clean balls. My show balls are not dirty, I just never put them in a ball polishing machine, never, ever. I dont want them sqeeky clean, they don't react best that way, and to repeat what they do when cleaned that way, you would have to clean them every day. Just leaving them clean but unpolished, or a little dirty, then the clings, the throws, perform better, and repeat the same thing, when you play. If you want to real scoop on this, dont ask a engineer, dont ask a 9 baller, go ask a trick shot artistic expert, these are the guys who know. www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)
Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger, VENI, VIDI, VICI....

TomBrooklyn
03-12-2003, 04:00 PM
The billiards artistic shooters I've seen like Semeth Sagainer wipe their cueball off with WD-40 before certain shots. I wonder why they do that?

03-18-2003, 06:38 PM
bottom line here is you want your balls to be close to the same condition as the balls your about to go out and play with (ie at the pool hall or bar you're going to). My point, don't clean your balls every day unless the poolhall and or tournament you plan to play in does the same. McReady said it best..... "you can't sling one of these tables over your back and carry it with you wherever you go." you can simulate conditions as close as possible however, but most importantly you need to be able to adjust to conditions.

03-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Dear Tom, Sammy from Turkey you say is wiping his cue ball with wd40 &amp; ask why, because nobody knows what WD40 is, look at the lable, they dont want you to know. It is silicone spray, with some alcohol, so it's not greasy or sticky like the other silicone sprays you see, I prefer it also.

I only use it on some very hard Masses when I am on a very slow pool table and cloth. Note, I dont use it on any other shot, nor have I ever used it on any record shot. Using it, makes the Masse easier to make, and on some of the world class shots, they cant be made unless you goose up the cb a little.

Rojos of mexico, soaks his glove in silicone, and he coates the ball without you knowing it. I wear a glove also, but mine is clean, no grease on my glove. I dont cover the entire ball with grease like they do, If I need it, I spray a little wd40 in a ball tray hole, &amp; dip my finger tip into it, &amp; just put a drop only on the bottom of the cue ball, that helps it slide out fast from its sitting position and you don't get those bad green cloth burns on the bottom of the cb which trashes it. If I have brand new cue balls to use, I never do anything to enhance them, and I never use silicone then. I would never use Silicone on my cloth, it will speed it up, but the balls begin to slide, that stuff gets on your object balls, they begin to cut &amp; throw funny, it can be a disaster. for some of these guys, the only way it is possible for them to ever hit 10 rails, is for them to spray the cloth with a greasy silicone spray like you get from ace hardware. If you want to cheat, there are many ways to do it, and because I have been honest about what I have done, I have no problem in revealing to you what these little tricks of the trade are, and who uses them and who does not. Fast Larry Guninger
www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)

TomBrooklyn
04-01-2003, 04:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hhsaloon:</font><hr>I am interested in the opinion of the pool masses as to how important it is to...any other aspect of play it may effect.<hr /></blockquote>I like the balls to be highly polished and shiny. They look sharp when they're like that and it makes me happy. =TomBk