PDA

View Full Version : Richard Black's Display

Barbara
03-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Last year I told Richard that he outdid himself with his "Chantilly Gold" cue. I love abalone and have abalone inlays in my cue. I also challenged Richard last year that he wouldn't be able to outdo himself and I have to say, he won the challenge.

He brought an all ivory cue with abalone and silver inlays as his featured cue. The matching case was breathtaking, too. He also had a couple butterfly-splice cues that were beautiful, too.

So what was the most beautiful cue you saw at the Expo??

Barbara

03-19-2002, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> He brought an all ivory cue with abalone and silver inlays as his featured cue. The matching case was breathtaking, too. He also had a couple butterfly-splice cues that were beautiful, too.

Barbara <hr></blockquote>

barb, i saw that ivory cue about a year ago at richards place. he had just started cutting on it and it was already a great work of art. i've been meaning to stop by and see how it came out. perfect excuse for an afternoon bike ride.

ok, the real reason i have not been by is that i'm absolutely sure it will cost me more to get out of his shop than the bike did.

dan

Barbara
03-19-2002, 07:42 PM
Well hdj, you tell Richard that the next time he says to me, "Go ahead Woman and take your cue home.", I WILL do just THAT!!

Barbara~~~and it all started with a "Hi Honey, I'm ho-ome"....

TomBrooklyn
03-19-2002, 09:14 PM
One of his assistants told me he was hoping to get in the vicinity of $130,000.00 for that cue and about the same for the other featured cue in the custom wooden case he had there also. They also said the ivory cue hit very well.

I wonder if the Chantilly Gold cue was sold and for how much?

I thought those two cues were the most beautiful in the ornate catagory. Playing with them would seem out of place except in a mansion or a palace though. I saw many other cues that I liked, and find it difficult to pick out only one or two favorites. Samsaras, in general, are one of my favorites.

03-19-2002, 11:07 PM
(Lorri giggles) Well you know Barb, I'm really quite partial to the Predators but...... I saw a gorgeous Richard Black too, kind of reminded me of a sunrise. Additionally, there were about fifty Omen cues that I would have loved to go home with, if I were into cues, that is! LOL Normally I don't even look at cues, but the Omens are just so pretty, and from what I've heard one of the most under-rated and overlooked cues on the market.

03-20-2002, 01:38 PM
You know Lorri, I went out to dinner with the Omen guys, Diana, who's married to Pete Ohmen, Dawn, Mic, and the Clarks on Wednesday night. I didn't even think about checking out their booth.

Man could they pack away the food!

Barbara

Fred Agnir
03-20-2002, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I wonder if the Chantilly Gold cue was sold and for how much? <hr></blockquote>

IIRC, when Chantilly Gold was sold at last year's expo, Richard said he got the asking price.

Fred

Fred Agnir
03-20-2002, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> So what was the most beautiful cue you saw at the Expo??<hr></blockquote>

A collector from CT. had brought a couple of his Ginacues to display at Pool Table Magic's booth. He had brought these same cues to Southington during our Pool School escapade. These were and still are the most beautiful cues I've ever seen. And, I think I've seen plenty of cues.

Fred

dave
03-20-2002, 01:48 PM
I saw some of Richard's cues at a tournament here in Chicago a few years ago and I have to agree that the artistry of his designs was incredible. He had some with hand carved ivory joints that truly were genuine works of art. The reps selling the cues were friendly and encouraged me to handle the cues but I have to tell you, they were so ornate and had so many precious materials and were so expensive that I was afraid to touch them much less play with one. I know he makes less expensive, more practical players cues but the designs of the basic models were pretty plain and still too expensive for what you got for the money. They are a GREAT collectible, in my opinion, but who wants to smack balls around with a Picasso.

03-20-2002, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Last year I told Richard that he outdid himself with his "Chantilly Gold" cue. I love abalone and have abalone inlays in my cue. I also challenged Richard last year that he wouldn't be able to outdo himself and I have to say, he won the challenge.

He brought an all ivory cue with abalone and silver inlays as his featured cue. The matching case was breathtaking, too. <hr></blockquote>

Unless I am greatly mistaken, that cue and case were on display last year. Lovely work, obviously.

Some of the most beautiful work I saw this year was various cuemaker's scrimeshaw over ivory or bone work. I particularly liked a Lambros that I saw being sold by one of the dealers.

Regards,

Gideon