PDA

View Full Version : Ferrule Questions...

Yuppie
03-12-2003, 11:33 AM
What is the importance of the ferrule? Keep vibration low?

Longer is better?

What is the reason for keeping the ferrule clean?

Ivory ferrules, How much difference does one actually make?

How much do they cost (ivory)?

Where can one get an ivory ferrule put on his shaft?

Rod
03-12-2003, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yuppie:</font><hr> What is the importance of the ferrule? Keep vibration low?

Keep the wood from splitting. Or you can glue a tip to the wood with no ferrule, might look a little odd and the shaft might split with a worn tip.

Longer is better?

Thats what the girls say. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Well they physics boys will tell you it creates more end mass and causes more squirt. So shorter would be better.

You don't have to if you like it blue, heck why not paint it blue?

Difference in what? They play about the same, I doubt you would notice any difference. Again were back to the end mass deal.

Call your local repair shop. Maybe $50 or so.

Where can one get an ivory ferrule put on his shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

Um your local shop or any reputable cue maker.

TonyM
03-14-2003, 01:15 AM
What is the importance of the ferrule? Keep vibration low?

Ferrules are basically just there to protect the end of the shaft from the impact of the balls. I have a few cues with no ferrule whatsoever. They work just fine. In fact, I defy anyone to close their eyes and tell the difference. But when the tip gets worn down, without a ferrule the end of the shaft could become damaged by the impact. The damage is usually in the form of mushrooming of the wood (if you are lucky) or splitting.

A ferrule basically acts like a strap around a barrel, holding the fibers of the wood together. And it also isolates the wood from the impact and helps spread the load. So it's also a shock absorber.

A ferrule also helps prevent the wood just below the tip from wearing away from bad chalk habits, and from a reduction in diameter after frequent tip changes.

It is not for any playing benefits.

Longer is better?

No, the length is really irrelevant. 3 cushion billiard players use a ferrule that is at least half as long as a typical pool cue. And they work just fine. I think that the long ferrules on pool cues is just a traditional element. Not a neccessity.

Lol! Why keep anything clean? Generally, a dirty ferrule is looked upon by some people as a sign of a sloppy person. They might relate it to your general personal hygine!

But there is no real technical reason to keep it clean.

Well they look pretty. And they add value to a cue. and they sound different. Otherwise they are really of no benefit. Any claims of superior playability is just wishful thinking imo.

You might spend $50.00 to 70.00 to get one installed, but the Ivory blank can be bought for about $20.00 to $25.00.

Where can one get an ivory ferrule put on his shaft?

Any decent cue repair person can do this.

But I recommend that you try someone elses cue with an Ivory ferrule first. They can make a distinct sound that some people love, while others absolutely hate!

Tony
-likes the look, but prefers not to use them....