PDA

View Full Version : al Qaeda Going Strong In Brooklyn, NY

TomBrooklyn
03-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Financial and other support for al Qaeda is going strong in Brooklyn. A Mosque on Atlantic Avenue that raised $20 million for al Qaeda was busted a couple of days ago, but I'm certain more supporters remain yet undiscovered in the several highly concentrated pockets of Arab neighborhoods around here.

I have been engaged in infiltrating some of their business fronts for a few years now; but they're always speaking Arab and I can't tell what they're saying. In the last few weeks I've generally observed a very noticable increase in their level of suspicion, nervousness, and hostility. The impending war, as well as al Qaeda may be a factor. All Arab gathering place TVs are tuned full time to the Arab equivilent of CNN which is reporting heavily on the Iraq situation. I will continue to monitor and make inroads as time and circumstances allow.

TomBrooklyn
03-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Officials: N.Y. Mosque Contributed Millions to Al Qaeda (AP)

N E W Y O R K, March 5 Worshippers at the Al Farouq mosque in Brooklyn helped raise millions of dollars for al Qaeda, according to U.S. officials who have charged a Yemeni cleric with providing material support to a terrorist network.

Sheik Mohammed Al Hasan Al-Moayad, who is being held in Germany, told an FBI informant that he supplied $20 million, recruits and weapons to Osama bin Laden in the years before the Sept. 11 attacks, officials said. Attorney General John Ashcroft said much of the money came from contributors in the United States.

Ashcroft told the Senate Judiciary Committee in Washington that Al-Moayad "boasted that jihad was his field, and trumpeted his involvement in providing money, recruits and supplies to al Qaeda, Hamas and other terrorist groups."

Al-Moayad identified at least five individuals in New York as sources of secret funding, including Brooklyn business owners, according to a complaint unsealed Tuesday in Brooklyn federal court. An informant wearing a wire met with those people late last year and recorded conversations about money smuggling, the complaint said.

Asked at a news conference if arrests on U.S. soil were possible, U.S. Attorney Roslynn Mauskopf said, "Our investigation is continuing."

Past investigations have identified the Al Farouq mosque as a place of worship for terrorists, including the men who bombed the World Trade Center in 1993.

Al Farouq's current imam, Abdul Rahman, told the Daily News that the mosque only allows fund-raising for tax exempt U.S. charities.

"We are mostly a hardworking people," he said. "I doubt anyone would have enough money to raise the amount that the FBI claims.

Phone calls to the mosque today were not answered.

Rahman's spokesman, Mohammed Nagi, told The New York Times that officials there were "very, very, very surprised to hear of the allegations. ... This is just a place of worship."

Al-Moayad, 54, known in Yemen for his charity work and political connections, and his assistant, Mohammed Mohsen Yahya Zayed, were arrested Jan. 10 in a sting operation at a hotel near Frankfurt airport.

U.S. authorities, who had previously refused to discuss the case, consider Al-Moayad's arrest a blow to Muslim charities used as fronts to finance terrorism.

A Frankfurt court has ordered Al-Moayad held there while federal prosecutors in Brooklyn seek his extradition. Zayed, 29, is being detained along with Al-Moayad at a maximum-security prison.

A lawyer for Al-Moayad has accused U.S. authorities of fabricating the charges against his client.

The court papers unsealed Tuesday say U.S. and German authorities learned in December 2001 that Al-Moayad was involved in supplying money and militants for al Qaeda.

An informant who knew Al-Moayad was recruited to lure him to a bugged hotel room, where he was introduced to another informant posing as a wealthy American Muslim. The second informant told Al-Moayad he wanted to donate $2 million "for jihad against American and Zionist governments," papers said.

Al-Moayad allegedly claimed he was one of bin Laden's spiritual advisers, and assured the informant that "the money would be used to support the Mujahideen fighters of both al Qaeda and Hamas," the papers said.

The United States has until March 31 to hand over evidence supporting Al-Moayad's extradition, and until Monday to finish submitting documents supporting the case against Zayed. The German government would have the final word on extradition.

If convicted in the United States, Al-Moayad would face up to 60 years in prison, prosecutors said. Zayed, charged with conspiracy charge, would face 30 years.

The newly unsealed U.S. documents identify the cleric as Al-Moayad, although reports in Germany used a different spelling al-Moayyed.

The Associated Press

Wally_in_Cincy
03-14-2003, 07:37 AM
I am shocked /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Shocked I tell you. Who woulda thunk it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Vapros
03-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I can see it now:

"Pool Player With Rag on Head Busted in Mosque Raid!"

TomBrooklyn
03-14-2003, 01:32 PM
In Brooklyn, we give welfare, food stamps, and subsidized housing to immigrants without citizen status. The INS refuses to process even known illegal aliens unless they get criminally arrested for something; but we have yet to give them drivers licences. Maryland is breaking new ground with this one.
=============

March 6, 2003
The Baltimore Sun
By Ivan Penn, Staff writer

Effort to help illegal immigrants get driver's licenses...supporters say bill would aid workers

(There is) A proposal to help undocumented immigrants in Maryland obtain their driver's
licenses.

Latino activists in Maryland have made this legislation one of their top
priorities this year, saying it affects many people in their community who
are unable to legally drive - hurting their employment prospects. Such
workers have lived in Maryland for years and dozens filled the hearing room
yesterday in support of the bill.

Driver's licenses, supporters argue, would help ensure motorists are trained
and driving with insurance. In addition, they would serve as identification
for law enforcement, contributing to public safety.

"It's not a 9/11. It's not terrorism," said Delagate Ana Sol Gutierrez, a
Montgomery County Democrat. "All immigrants are not terrorists."

The legislation also has strong support from Delagate Joseph F. Vallario Jr., a Prince George's Democrat.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Wow.

If this passes the demand for rusty customized vans is gonna go thru the roof.

Wally~~knows Tom can take a joke.

Gayle in MD
03-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Joe Valliario, biggest crook in Md!
Gayle In Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif