PDA

View Full Version : Jump Safeties Over Your Open Ball

Sid_Vicious
03-12-2003, 06:35 PM
START(
%Ao0Q8%Dj6Y7%GL5J0%Hd7D1%MM3K1%OM8I7%PI7H4%QZ1U3%R U7U3%S`5H8
%T`5T3
)END

With the table layout like this, I chose to take a jump at the 4 ball to leave my opponent down table, having to shoot back into the cluster which included my 7 ball(which I have a clear path to shoot directly into as it sits.) To me, the hit on the 4 was automatic with my JC, and the 7 would have opened his table up.

START(
%Ao0Q8%Dr0K9%GL5J0%Hd7D1%MM3K1%OM8I7%Pk0W6%QZ1U3%R U7U3%S`5H8
%T`5T3%We9X9%XJ2H5
)END

I'm finding hidden value in making high percentage jumps...do you jumpers out there utilize things like this???sid~~~realized the kick was available, figured it a much better chance in both hit and down table CB control with the jumper

Rod
03-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Sid,
I can see the advantage at times doing this but this may not be the time. I know your just talking jump shots. When you put the 4 near the end rail your taking away an advantage. In a chess match this could happen, what next?
Just playing a little game with you. Something like this.
START(
%Ao0Q8%Dr0K9%GE0I7%Hd7D1%MF1Q4%OL9G8%PN1I5%QZ1U3%R U7U3%S`5H8
%T`5T3%WO3K9%Xi8W1
)END

Sid_Vicious
03-13-2003, 10:28 AM
I'm just being curious in asking,,,,what percentage is there with a kick apposed to the direct jump hit, assuming you aren't going to shoot into the 7 and spread his tied up ball? Wouldn't the down table CB shape be sketchy there also, unless of course I'm a really good billiard player and can pull out a grand safety from the roll. Maybe the 7 ball is a shot which you see, and I don't. Thanks...sid

Rod
03-13-2003, 11:15 AM
There isn't any real advantage to kick. What I'm really saying here is you picked the wrong ball to hit. If your going to jump, why not hit the one? The four is best left alone. The last thing you want is both balls near the center of the end rail.

There is a shot on the 7 to play safe without selling out the farm. So IMO there are two decent options but the four as I said isn't one of them. I don't think it takes to much skill to leave this. My only concern is a fairly thin hit and make sure whitey gets to the rail. I think either the jump to the one or this one puts my opponent in deep do do.
Just some food for thought
START(
%Ao0Q8%Dj6Y7%GL5J0%Hd7D1%MM4K2%OP5H3%PP3Z4%QZ1U3%R U7U3%S`5H8
%T`5T3
)END

Steve Lipsky
03-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Rod, I agree with your decision to not jump for the 4. Your point about not leaving it in the middle of the rail is excellent, as was your description of why it fails.

However, I think the jump (or the kick, probably my option) to the 1 is better than the safe you just diagrammed.

You have now left your opponent an out, albeit a low percentage one. He banks the 15 and then stays under the 13 to play it in the upper corner. Before your safe, with good play I figure you to be a huge favorite in this game. After choosing to play that safe and executing it, you are now at the mercy of your opponent potentially making a nice - but definitely viable - out.

What gets interesting here is if you play the jump on the 1, your opponent may start to pocket your open balls. You now either have to go for a risky break with ball-in-hand and only one open ball - or start getting creative yourself. This would probably be putting your BIH behind the 7, moving the 15 and sticking behind the 7. This probably wins.

8-ball is definitely an under-rated game.

- Steve

Rod
03-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Steve, Yes it does leave him a possible out, it's a gamble. "If" he decided to take that bank it would have to be a slow roll to hold position. We never know what our opponents next move is and sometimes it's shocking! lol I had considered him shooting off my balls if I jumped to the one. I think the kick or jump to the one is the better option. Of course it depends on who's shooting and their ability.

Here is another senario that could happen.
The opponent is not dead yet after the 7 ball safe and doesn't have to go for the bank. It may leave something like this if not executed perfect. The player does not have to like this either. Once again another gamble but maybe a better one. The one or 7, I'm assuming the 7 goes, can be made but it's not easy. You know with this game or any game sometimes, when you back someone into the corner it's not always good. Yes the game is under-rated.

Rod

SpiderMan
03-13-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> 8-ball is definitely an under-rated game.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

My friend Chopstick in Fla has been flying to SC for taped lessons with Grady Mathews. A few lessons back, Grady told him that he thinks 8-Ball is the best overall game.

SpiderMan

Steve Lipsky
03-13-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> It may leave something like this if not executed perfect. <hr /></blockquote>

Rod, I don't see a diagram in your post...

Rod
03-13-2003, 01:16 PM
What you can't see that, look again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You've got to get better eyes if your going to play pool! lol

Sorry about that, I'd forget my shoes if they wasn't tied on.

START(
%Ao0Q8%Dj6Y7%GL5J0%Hd7D1%MM4K2%OR0F6%PD9E6%QZ1U3%R U7U3%S`5H8
%T`5T3
)END