PDA

View Full Version : Trash talk

03-13-2003, 12:54 AM
I think we all have noticed a bit of trash talk between friends & think it just a fun part of the game but,
we don't condone this behavior in league play because we found out it can be easily taken the wrong way & the results can be harmful.
What is disturbing is being witness at several bar-box 8-ball tourneys to trash talk including vulgarity directed at an opponent. To insult a stranger like this borders on insanity but alcohol fuels this stupidity & these cretins hide behind the safety of their team members. Is this becoming an accepted means of expression at these events?
I have come back to the game after an extended lay-off & found the sport sliding into a pit of sleaze. Does being the best player at these tournaments mean you're the best at tuning out the drunks, blaring music, heavy smoke & trash talk? Shouldn't it be that you have won by being the top competitor & a student of the game? How can we expect us players & our game to be respected by the public when we can't respect one another? This used to be a gentlemans & (gentlewomans) game & people who trash talked were shown the door or worse. Sorry about the rant but this has been bugging me for some time. Dewey

cheesemouse
03-13-2003, 05:37 AM
dewey52,

[ QUOTE ]
Does being the best player at these tournaments mean you're the best at tuning out the drunks, blaring music, heavy smoke &amp; trash talk? <hr /></blockquote>

the simple answer to this question is yes.....over the years I have played in too many to count events and your above statement covers most events but those same drunks and trash talkers (wolfers) have fallen by the wayside by the money rounds. I like playing drunks and trash talkers, they are easy to beat...if you love the game and love to compete tune out, block out and beat the hell out of them.....just be happy that you can take your pick of tournaments to play in on any given weekend...if you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen...no disrespect intended... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

rackmup
03-13-2003, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dewey53:</font><hr>alcohol fuels this stupidity &amp; these cretins hide behind the safety of their team members. Is this becoming an accepted means of expression at these events?
<hr /></blockquote>

A little innocent "woofing" is okay and to be honest, I kind of expect it. It forces me to focus just a little harder and a victory after being blasted by a vocal opponent is just that much sweeter.

As for big mouths in league...well, the league environment seems to breed stupidity. Not all, but a majority of these foul-mouthed poor-sports have never taken their skills (or lack thereof) to a "real" tournament or matched up against someone who is a true student of the game.

Nope...they just saunter into their local bar, plop down a roll of quarters on the table, put on their little "pool glove", clip on their magnetic retractable keyring/chalk holder and wait for someone to fall victim to their over-inflated ego and cavern-like mouth.

You see them all the time; the player with a biker wallet secured to his beltloop with a heavy chain, cell phone strapped to the same over-embellished waistline, enough keys to open every door at a major university dangling from his ever-so-stressed cowboy belt and a t-shirt that says something catchy like "Are you my next victim?"

Add alcohol to the mix and it is simply a license for them to demonstrate their idiocy to all within shouting distance.

I don't play in bars for this reason. I don't like bar-boxes and personally believe they should all be shipped to the laundry/recreation rooms at the trailer parks where all of these blabbering idiots are breeding so they can stay home and spare the rest of us their foolishness.

A sign should hang above every bar table in the country that reads:

"If you are carrying a cue into this bar without a case, have more than six items affixed to your belt, use red chalk and live in a house that can be moved by a pickup truck, this establishment will have to ask you to leave. This policy includes and bans anyone named "Bubba", "Slim" or "Fattie". Also, if your voice is louder than the highest setting on our jukebox, you feel it necessary to beat your wife, kick your dog or if you lick your fingers to clean your children's face, please seek another recreational venue. Finally, anyone utilizing this table must still possess a minimum of six of their original teeth and they must not have ANY dark brown spots or visible decay."

Hey...it's just my opinion. And, you know what they say about opinions.

Regards,

Ken (proposes a bill be passed by Congress that bans the manufacture of bar tables or the use of them by anyone wearing bib overalls and carring more than 25 pounds of "dangling items" on their belts.)

bluewolf
03-13-2003, 06:39 AM
I played pool in bars 30 years ago and never noticed because I was always drunk.

I played a couple of apa matches 3 years ago and there was this one trash talker who was high on etoh or dope all of the time. This year in apa, things are pretty clean. Not heard any trash talk.In our apa, most are there to play and there arent too many drunks. There is a little gossip about who is sandbagging but that is about it.Most seem complimentary about other players, even the ones who beat them.

Laura

Vagabond
03-13-2003, 07:19 AM
Howdy Rackemup,
So,u do not like us rednecks,ha?
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
03-13-2003, 07:20 AM
That is what I see. LOL, maybe you need to come back to DFW and play him some. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif He is fresh from Fl and ready.

eg8r

Predator314
03-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Last year, I was hanging around the bars pretty often. I would always have a drink with me and try to get a table by myself. I would bang the balls around and usually somone would come up and want to play pretty soon. I would ask them to play for money. If they had any skills at all, they would say yes. They thought they had a lock, because they thought I was drunk. I would dump the first couple of games to them and swear up and down that I'm a better shooter... I must just be having a bad night. Soon they would allow me to up the bet and I would turn it up a notch. Before you knew it, the "fake drunk" would clean out the "real drunk".

Anyway, when a drunk starts losing, they start mouthing. When that happened, I knew I had them. There's no way a person can shoot pool when they are mad. I was always polite to the offended. I told them I was a better shot than what I was showing. I've had to fight my way out the door a few times because of my little hustle, but that was to be expected. I had friends nearby.

You might think I'm a low-life for doing my little hustle. I don't care... maybe I am. It was a fun thing to do. I never took a lot of money. Maybe $200 at them most.

The key thing is, if you get them trash talking, they are thinking about more things than shooting pool. When they are thinking about other things. They lose.

bluewolf
03-13-2003, 08:03 AM
I know that a lot of gamblers hustle that way. Me, I could not do it. But , if the truth be known, I do have a few sl4 folks I know who I plan to challenge in off handed pool once I practice my leftie game for a few more months.

But as for pretending I am worse than I am, I dont think it is worth a bullet in the head.

jmo

Laura