PDA

View Full Version : real pool computer style

03-13-2003, 02:23 PM
whats up,i,v had to cut down on my pool hall playing for lack of money.and there is no way of getting a table. so i did what i could aford i bought a game for my computer and i was wondering if any one,s real game has gottin better by playing one of these computer games and if it might help my real game

Perk
03-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Let me go out on a limb here and say more than likely not. No computer can help you with stroke or consistency. About the only thing that you could pull from a video game might be the angles, assuming you are really new to the pool world. Dont get me wrong, cause I play alot of video games and have pool games: Pool Hustler PS1, QueBall Billiards Master PS2, and yahoo pool online. I play for fun when I cant get out, but it wont help your game in my opinion.

bluewolf
03-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Look around. See if you can find some folks with home tables that will invite you over.Perhaps you can do something for them to return the favor. Hang out at a pool hall where the good players are and watch. They will get used to seeing you and I bet someone will invite you to play. Even if it doesnt happen too often that is better than nothing and you can learn by watching. Look for opportunities to barter something anything for pool time. Be creative. I think in time you will get the pool time that you need.

Good Luck!!

Laura

Predator314
03-13-2003, 03:47 PM
I used to be broke all the time. I would do errands for the PH owner to earn some shootin' cash. I would clean, go get supplies, food, etc. Occasionally I would watch over the place during the day if he couldn't make it in.

Virtual Pool 3 is pretty fun on the computer. I doubt it will make you any better though. My advice is to see if you can score some videos or a book or 2. There's no substitute for practice though.

heater451
03-13-2003, 04:19 PM
An obvious option:

You might also hit the poolhall up for a job--just make sure that table time is part of the deal.

=======================

woody_968
03-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Well I'm going to be the odd ball here and say with a good game you can learn a few things. I would recommend virtual pool 3. It will not teach you how to stroke the cue, but you can use it to some extent on learning how to line up some shots. If you turn the tracking on it will show you not only the path the object ball will take, but more importantly how the cueball may react with different english.
If you have been playing for some time it may not help much, but if you are fairly new to pool then you will find that many times when people think they need right or left english comming off of a rail the same could be accomplished with draw or follow. This takes mutch of the deflection out of the equation and makes pocketing balls easier.
There is no substitute for time at a real table, but if you look for the right things you may learn from some of the better video games.

03-14-2003, 06:00 AM
I'm with the rest of the pack here... no you won't learn anything by playing a PC game, playing with tennis balls on a kitchen table is better than that. You would learn by watching... even bad players. And cleaning the tables etc is a way to get table time, yes, and quite common too. Plus some pool halls may have some VHS taped that they could borrow. And it might even be possible that somebody around where you are, has a table at home. Ask around, search the newsgroup and the net. Yeah yeah, I have nothing to add to the previous posts, I know, i'm off... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SteveFromNY
03-14-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rockmobster:</font><hr> whats up,i,v had to cut down on my pool hall playing for lack of money.and there is no way of getting a table. so i did what i could aford i bought a game for my computer and i was wondering if any one,s real game has gottin better by playing one of these computer games and if it might help my real game <hr /></blockquote>if you must buy a pool game, get VP3 as som have mentioned. it is seriously as close to the game as I've seen.

heater451
03-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Everyone mentions that you can't learn stroke by playing VP3 (and the like).

While I agree, and it seems obvious enough, that conclusion may not be entirely true.

There is a controller that had VP2 packaged with it (IIRC), called the PoolShark, which included a plastic "cue". I believe the plasti-cue snapped into the top of a special mouse, which allowed one to stroke more realistically.

And, while I understand that this may not be sensitive enough to angular mistakes in the stroke, and there's certainly no 'force-feedback', I wonder if it's any help at all.

So, my question is:

Has anyone on the board tried the PoolShark, and was it useful?

~~I've got a PS1 version of VP(1, I think), and I've trialed VP3--which I found a bit on the easy side. --Overall, I believe pool vidgames help in shot selection and positioning concepts, but can't see much aid for the physicalities (how could I?).

DSAPOLIS
03-14-2003, 05:42 PM
If you cannot play physicaly, this is an excellent opportunity to expand your pool knowledge. I travel extensively, and sometimes I can go up to 3 weeks without having the opportuinity to hit a ball. In those times, it is extremely advantagious to practice mentally by using visualization techniques. Video games are simply just video games. Just because I can work the control pad or the mouse, does not mean I can actually do the same in real life. Use this time to watch better players. Study the things that make them good. Learn as much as you can and when you get back on the table, apply the knowledge you have gathered. You can spend your time learning, or you can spend your time playing video games. It's your choice.

Patrick
03-14-2003, 07:31 PM
Virtual Pool 3 makes you better, real pool makes you worse. I only play real pool to practice stance and stroke. I practice the rest in Virtual Pool 3. It is much harder to learn how the balls rotate in real pool than on the computer, because you can replay the shots slowly and zoom in closely if you want.

Real pool makes you worse because you will never get a perfect stroke, so you will never be accurate, if the stroke is very bad, then you think your aim was the problem and you try adjusting it, this is why it takes so many years for "real pool" players to get better. While in Virtual Pool 3 you know the reason why you missed was aim instead of stroke.

After you got good in Virtual Pool 3, then when you play real pool you will better know if the reason why you missed was the aim or the stroke.

Knowledge about pool and how the balls rotate is the most important thing to learn, if you don't learn it, then your potential will be much lower than if you did. The only good way is to get the knowledge from Virtual Pool 3.

Patrick

http://vp3.0catch.com/mousegrip.htm

eg8r
03-15-2003, 04:28 PM
PATRICK IS BAAAAAAACCCKKKKK!!!!!!!

eg8r /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bigbro6060
03-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Patrick, please keep your bullsh*t comments to yourself. Your really not wanted here. Here's a forum where you would fit in nicely

www.italkbollocksandamasadswedishmeatball.com/forums.php (http://www.italkbollocksandamasadswedishmeatball.com/forums.php)

bluewolf
03-16-2003, 07:29 AM
I know what you think of vp3. When it comes to 3d pool , which of these two games do you think is easier? 9 ball or 8 ball.

Laura

Patrick
03-17-2003, 12:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I know what you think of vp3. When it comes to 3d pool , which of these two games do you think is easier? 9 ball or 8 ball.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>8-ball is the easiest because you have more possibilities.

Patrick

qSHAFT
03-17-2003, 01:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Patrick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I know what you think of vp3. When it comes to 3d pool , which of these two games do you think is easier? 9 ball or 8 ball.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>8-ball is the easiest because you have more possibilities.

Patrick <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Patrick,

I find that interesting coming from the mouth of a VP3 player. I was watching the best computer players playing themselves last night in vp3 and noticed that nine ball was not a problem for the computer and it would string 8 racks together no worries, but in 8 ball I saw only 1 in 8 racks ran out. Is this a deficiency in the computer algorithm or is 8 ball tougher?

Cheers - qSHAFT

Patrick
03-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey Patrick,

I find that interesting coming from the mouth of a VP3 player. I was watching the best computer players playing themselves last night in vp3 and noticed that nine ball was not a problem for the computer and it would string 8 racks together no worries, but in 8 ball I saw only 1 in 8 racks ran out. Is this a deficiency in the computer algorithm or is 8 ball tougher?

Cheers - qSHAFT <hr /></blockquote>The computer players have no strategy, they have only raw skill. 9-ball is the easiest to them, Rotation is the 2nd easiest. Straight pool is the hardest to them because they don't plan ahead the rack. They don't know which ball to choose in strategy games, but in 9-ball and Rotation they only need to make the object ball with position on the next ball.

Patrick

Predator314
03-17-2003, 03:36 PM
I read Patrick's site. It's definitely an interesting read. I just do recommend anybody take it seriously. This guy is a nut.