PDA

View Full Version : "Pot" a Ball, Just Sounds Preppy To Me

Sid_Vicious
03-13-2003, 08:54 PM
I know everyone has rights to talk lingo any way they want, but I personally find this word pot used in putting a ball down as an imitation of english snooker, and it doesn't appeal to me at all. Just my opinion...sid

snipershot
03-13-2003, 09:02 PM
In my opinion, the word "pot" sounds fine and is used for both english snooker and pool, maybe I've just made a habit of using the word pot when I make a ball. But like you said, people have the right to call it whatever they want.

Snipershot

03-13-2003, 09:08 PM
I personlly have never heard of anyone saying "nice pot" when I've been playing 9 ball, EXCEPT when I've been playing an englishman who grew up playing snooker. IMHO, when you make a ball in "american pocket billiards", you have just pocketed a ball...you didn't pot it (though i will conceed that they mean the same thing), and when you are playing snooker, when you make a ball, you don't pocket it, you pot it. I have to agree with Sid that yes, it does sound preppy...but each to their own.

snipershot
03-13-2003, 09:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Malstrom77:</font><hr>
when you make a ball in "american pocket billiards", you have just pocketed a ball...you didn't pot it (though i will conceed that they mean the same thing)
<hr /></blockquote>

It doesn't really matter if they have the same meaning, pot seems to be a term used frequently in England so it sounds different to us North Americans, the English probably think that "pocketing" a ball is an American or foregn term just like we think this of potting a ball.

03-13-2003, 09:26 PM
I guess what it boils down to is what you are used to saying...pot or pocket? Either way, the message comes across, so all's well that ends well...

L.S. Dennis
03-13-2003, 09:32 PM
So long as you're consistantly making the balls go into the holes, and consistantly making your opponents open their wallets you can call it anything you want!

Rod
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
I say Sid ole boy, nice pot. lol
Sid says, just shoot the f*^$&amp;*# thing in the hole. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
03-13-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm kind of a preservationist. I like to see us preserving the unique qualities of a particular game and not crossing them over with other games. I think it's important for American pool players to learn and use snooker terminology when playing English snooker and the same when English snooker players are playing American pool.

You pocket balls in American pool and you pot balls in English snooker.

Fran

03-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Get off it, you pockethead! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Weelie &lt;- played only Snooker at first

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2003, 07:19 AM
"and when you are playing snooker, when you make a ball, you don't pocket it, you pot it."

And I most likely would say pot in the case I was playing snooker or describing snooker scenarios. Thing I am finding though is that discussions held here about 9-ball, 8-ball and general all american cue sports are using pot for their word more and more. Everyone has a choice,,,I just would personally try not to be caught dead mimmicking English players with discussions about general american cues sports(unless I happened to be English.) Like I said, it sounds preppy(IMPO.).....sid~~~play me some snooker and the word is automatic

Wally_in_Cincy
03-14-2003, 08:09 AM
I find this strange coming from someone who was known as "English Sid" in a previous cyberlife. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k

I guess it's the AF/KC influence. You never heard that term 10 years ago. Oh wait, I wasn't playing 10 years ago /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif .

I agree with Fran.

There's a guy on my Thursday team who grew up in England. I can't understand a word he says. Occasionally I'll pick out a random "pot", "I potted the white" "I potted the black", "I put screw on the white" etc.

ok, later

TomBrooklyn
03-14-2003, 10:27 AM
I relish employing diversity in the words I use, and correspondingly read and hear as a means of adding variety, spice, or a certain genesee' qua to the communicque'.

03-14-2003, 06:20 PM
I say gov nor, you just discovered there are other people around the world playing with sticks. Why write pocket, when pot is so much shorter, saves ink, and is simple, quite right old boy.

While we are at it, lets dispense with some of these other colonial terms that are to say the least, a sticky whicket. To Fran, my lovely friend, I say lov, you dont draw your rock, you screw the ball, and a really big draw, is a lovely deep screw. You don't put reverse on the cue ball, you put side check on the bloody thing, and the english don't use english, they use side. No wonder they gave up on us &amp; went home.

You Yanks also need to be using a brass ferrule &amp; A 10MM SOFT TIP &amp; a one piece cue your grandfather handed down. What are these bloody maple shafts you are using, every one knows English Ash with nice grooves is the best wood mate.

What is even more curious, is you Yanks cant count to seven, you have to put numbers on your balls, but in England, and in Germany, the Rashig balls, have no numbers, just colors. The Italians kettle knocking over bowling pins on the table, and of course the French would not be caught dead ever shoving a ball into a pocket, when one could play billiards instead.

If you Yanks ever want to see some really fine potters of the ball, do check out snooker, and it is pronounced, snew-ka.
Ta Ta, toot ta loo, some body knock me up some time soon.
Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) VENI, VIDI, VICI.....

03-15-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm from the UK and I now think saying "pot" sounds silly whilst talking about 9-Ball, but I think "pocketing" sounds just as bad in Snooker. I still say pot though so people can understand what I mean.

bluewolf
03-15-2003, 09:26 AM
I like 'pot' because it is a short word and easy to say. Doesnt sound snooty to me, just sounds like a pool word.

Laura

Sid_Vicious
03-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Sneaky...Last thing I'd want to do is belittle true englishmen(women) or the game of snooker. It just gets me how more and more americans are trying to imitate y'all with this new term for making balls in the general games played over here. I personally would want to hear the word pot when seeing snooker played, like the words, making a billiard in billiards. I don't go around making caroms in 9-ball and saying "I played that billiard well, didn't I?" sid~~~words have their places and appropriate times(imo), but it's everyone's choice to mimmic or not

TomBrooklyn
03-15-2003, 09:36 AM
I wonder how it would be said in Ebonics? Thats a colorful language.

Deeman
03-15-2003, 09:56 AM
My lovely wife has now taken to saying "Pot" as we have some English friends we played pool with. I hate it but what can you do? Women, you can't live with them and you can't cut them up into small pieces and dump them in a river (unless you live in Kalifornia)!!

Dee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif