PDA

View Full Version : Practice games/drills for safeties and kicks?

03-14-2003, 01:04 AM
I have sometimes played a sort of a safety nineball game on my own. I just play for snookers always when I have a clear shot, and when I'm snookered I try to kick (or jump) to pocket. Sometimes I'd allow banks too (instead of laying snookers all the time) as I need the practice in those too. Have no scoring scheme for this 'game' though.

Do you guys have some practice games or drills for safeties and kicks?

Jay M
03-14-2003, 04:49 PM
two man practice game for safety play.

Start with a nine ball rack. Play for a safety. If your opponent misses a legal hit from a place where they don't have a straight shot at the OB, you get a point. Three fouls are worth 5 points (+3 for the fouls, total of 8 points in three shots). You can play for the run at any point, but no points are awarded for finishing the rack, you just break and continue. If you are shooting from an obscured position, you can call your shot and if you make it you get a point, if you miss it you lose a point and if you foul on a called shot, you lose three points.

I'll have to find them, but I wrote a full set of rules for this game.

Jay M

bluewolf
03-14-2003, 05:09 PM
I do not practice safe too much because my game was lopsided enough as it is.But when I do practice, I practice finess and specific shots.

My finess startes with the lag, then get the cb to stop at one rail,1/2 rail, 1/4 rail and 1-2 inches.

THe ob is on the long rail. the cb is out in the middle but across from it. I hit the ob with the cb so that I can freeze both on the rail and the cb is on the right or left of the ob depending on what I want.

Long safe. I want to knock my ob to the right corner. the opponents balls are on the same side as where my cb is(at the opposite end). my other obs are across from the opponents balls. i go long to knock my ob to the right and use ball speed and the rail to get the cb to cross over to the right and slide down near the left side pocket so that the opponent cannot see their balls. They can only get a legal hit by an extreme masse or a kick.

There are others but really I generally think on my feet. I usually practice finess and what will happen to the cb when I hit the ob full, 1/2 etc and at what speed the cb will stick vs going back up the table.

I practice kicks by kicking and observing where on the rail I have to hit it to get it to the desired place on the next rail. I am not much good at these. I just try to do my best when I need to use it in a match.

Laura

DSAPOLIS
03-14-2003, 05:30 PM
At this link, I have some drills that are practice safeties. The site is in German, but there is an english version available at the site.

http://www.bcv-neustadt.de/Training/Uebung/Safeties/blackjack/safeties_von_ds_e.htm

jjinfla
03-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Blackjack, Thanks for the link. A lot of good info there. Now if I can only remember them. Jake

03-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Learn to run out & win & keep the opponent sitting in the chair, then you don't have to practice this. Fast Larry

03-16-2003, 02:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Learn to run out &amp; win &amp; keep the opponent sitting in the chair, then you don't have to practice this. Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>

duh.... no [censored] sherlock... you conceited bastard, always trying to flaunt your skill and knowledge about pool....

bluewolf
03-16-2003, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> At this link, I have some drills that are practice safeties. The site is in German, but there is an english version available at the site.

http://www.bcv-neustadt.de/Training/Uebung/Safeties/blackjack/safeties_von_ds_e.htm

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks David!!! These shots really rock!!!

Laura

Perk
03-17-2003, 11:43 AM
I disagree. You better learn to play safe, and learn to kick balls. You dont want to be the one having to kick balls in just to get your chance at the table against a world beater. Dont get me wrong, you have to have skills to runout and get through some racks, but getting careless means you end up sitting down for numerous racks.

Where did that come from Larry?

griffith_d
03-17-2003, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Learn to run out &amp; win &amp; keep the opponent sitting in the chair, then you don't have to practice this. Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>

Larry

You have good school of thought here,...if you can make the shot, you do not have to even think about safeties,...on the other hand, safeties rattle a lot of people, especially when they never get a shot and all they are doing is trying to get a piece of the OB.

This rattling can lead to total annihilation of the opponent. This makes them never get into a rhythm, they get totally frustrated and can possibly lose the match.

A person could probably play safeties the whole game after making one shot at a time and the other person never get a shot. It would almost make someone want to quit.

Just think,...a ball in hand everytime.

Griff

cycopath
03-18-2003, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Learn to run out &amp; win &amp; keep the opponent sitting in the chair, then you don't have to practice this. Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>The old saying goes, "If you can't run 8 balls, then don't run 7".
I'm terrible at safeties but it does make sense that it's easier to run 3 or 4 balls and hide than to try and run the rack.