PDA

View Full Version : Something New? Black High Impact Ferrule

TomBrooklyn
03-14-2003, 07:54 AM
I went to Blatt Billiards in NYC to get a ferrule replaced for a break/jump cue shaft. They used to carry just one kind of ferrule, but now they carry a second kind that they say is designed especially for break and jump cues. It extra hard and black in color. The counterperson was unable to give me any other technical information about it. I didn't request it because I wanted to stick with a white ferrule like I'm used to shooting with, but I was left feeling a little curious about it.

Does anyone use this kind of ferrule or know what the material is or anything else about it?

Predator314
03-14-2003, 08:01 AM
I've seen them used before. I think they are supposed to be more "durable" for the people who like to do the sledghammer type breaks.

SteveFromNY
03-14-2003, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I've seen them used before. I think they are supposed to be more "durable" for the people who like to do the sledghammer type breaks. <hr /></blockquote>im going with that one in a few weeks, since my ferrule is in dire need of replacing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

SteveFromNY
03-14-2003, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I went to Blatt Billiards in NYC to get a ferrule replaced for a break/jump cue shaft. They used to carry just one kind of ferrule, but now they carry a second kind that they say is designed especially for break and jump cues. It extra hard and black in color. The counterperson was unable to give me any other technical information about it. I didn't request it because I wanted to stick with a white ferrule like I'm used to shooting with, but I was left feeling a little curious about it.

Does anyone use this kind of ferrule or know what the material is or anything else about it? <hr /></blockquote>how much was the black ferrule and how much do they charge for a replacement&gt;?

SpiderMan
03-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Atlas sells at least two different hard linen-based materials in black tube form, it's probably something like one of them.

SpiderMan

TomBrooklyn
03-14-2003, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> how much was the black ferrule and how much do they charge for a replacement? <hr /></blockquote>Hi Steve, I don't know what it cost to just buy a ferrule, but it was $20 with installation for the white one. I'm guessing the black one would be the same, but I'm not sure. Blatt has a website at www.blattbilliards.com (http://www.blattbilliards.com) and their phone number is (800)252-8855.

PS: I noticed you quoted my entire first post. Is there anything else you were wondering about?

Tom

03-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Dear Tom, if you really think about it, since I am the most powerful pool player on the planet, would I then not also be the ultimate testing machine, and when you logically answer yes, run to Blatt &amp; buy two of these puppies &amp; mail them to me.

I will test them for you and give you a private report. I try &amp; test everything that comes along, and I try hard to learn something new in billiards every day, that is my goal in life, &amp; today, that is fast becoming very difficult to do. Every week, I now learn 2 or 3 new things.

I have a IBM Scientist who also checks things out for me, so if you want the real skinny of stuff like this, come to me. If I don't know, I will tell you.
If I know, I tell it like it is, even if others with their closed profit motives don't want to hear the truth, I consider that to be their problem, not my problem.
Fast Larry. Go to www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)

TomBrooklyn
03-16-2003, 06:29 AM
I would have been inclined to go with the harder ferrule for purposes of durability and because the extra hardness may add a little speed to the break and facilitate jumping also, but I was concerned that the black color would be a distraction of sorts, perhaps just because I'm only used to seeing a white ferrule up there.

Has anyone used a black ferrule that could report on how it affected their aiming technique or tip placement on the cue ball? Maybe it would be an advantage to have a contrasting color between the ferrule and the CB for aiding in hitting the CB in the right spot...?

bluewolf
03-16-2003, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Dear Tom, if you really think about it, since I am the most powerful pool player on the planet, would I then not also be the ultimate testing machine, and when you logically answer yes, run to Blatt &amp; buy two of these puppies &amp; mail them to me.

I will test them for you and give you a private report. I try &amp; test everything that comes along, and I try hard to learn something new in billiards every day, that is my goal in life, &amp; today, that is fast becoming very difficult to do. Every week, I now learn 2 or 3 new things.

I have a IBM Scientist who also checks things out for me, so if you want the real skinny of stuff like this, come to me. If I don't know, I will tell you.
If I know, I tell it like it is, even if others with their closed profit motives don't want to hear the truth, I consider that to be their problem, not my problem.
Fast Larry. Go to www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) <hr /></blockquote>

Once you have tested the black ferrules, I want to know the results too.

Laura