PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have an AMF pool table?

woody_968
03-14-2003, 05:33 PM
I have a friend who has an AMF pool table for sale, not sure of the model, but I know it is slate and the long rails are one piece if that tells you anything.
I am looking to put a table in my garage, and hadnt decided if I wanted to try to talk the wife into the money for a Diamond or just get a decent table.
He will set it up with simonis cloth for 1150.
Yes he knows what he is doing as I have had him do some total reworks on some tables when I had my cue shop.
Thanks for any info you all have.

03-14-2003, 06:27 PM
I played on one at the sports super show, it was OK, I have nothing bad to say about it, and nothing good either, just OK> Fast Larry

Ralph S.
03-15-2003, 07:13 AM
My friend has one at his house. I think it plays pretty well. I am not sure what he paid for it, but seems to be a very decent table.

Deeman
03-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Thye are o.k. but not that well built. I had a friend who had trouble keeping the cushions tight but that may have not been the fault of the table. He was a slob of a guy who didn't take care of much of anything.

Dee

heater451
03-15-2003, 10:56 AM
I've had an AMF Playmaster for about a year now, and have no real, table-related complaints, although I think the metal pocket trim could be better (you would have to see it), and I don't care for the plastic pocket liners. The playability is only affected by the liners on the occasional, made-too-hard shot: The end of the cushion compresses enough for the ball to bounce off the mouth edge of the liner.

Mine is basically the Savannah model--picture (http://www.tribilliards.com/amf/savannah.html) but new skirts had to be made for it (original was a damaged display). Also, it may invalidate it's construction, for your comparison purposes, but I was told that the frame was actually a Brunswick.

As it is, it plays well, but it could use faster cloth, so the Simonis would be a good option. I have a "regular" kind of felt (not like Simonis--which seems kinda Percale-like in comparison. . . .). It rolls fine, but I think I'd like it a little faster. Again, this is not really a **table** problem, as cloth is changeable--and I don't know if it's the original AMF stuff anyway.

For a cash comparison, I paid $1900 (consider it "new-used condition"), for the table, a ball set, two racks, 4 (basic) Players cues, a plastic-head rake (bridge), a basic two-piece, wall-mount cue holder/rack, two brushes, a cheap tip kit, a shaker bottle & "pills", two of those goofy tethered rubber chalk holders (which will never be attached to the table), and a box of crappy Pioneer chalk. Delivery and set-up were included.

FWIW, I have mentioned my table to a friend of mine, who manages a local pool hall, and he says that AMFs are good tables. He's more discriminating than I am, so I hope that helps you. All I know is, I'm very satisfied with it.

=================

Rod
03-15-2003, 11:50 AM
woody,
I had an older AMF 9 foot table at the pool room. I don't remember the model but it was made and played well. It was a gutter table and a very quiet one at that. The only thing I didn't like was the pockets were to big.

Harold Acosta
03-15-2003, 07:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I have a friend who has an AMF pool table for sale, not sure of the model, but I know it is slate and the long rails are one piece if that tells you anything.
I am looking to put a table in my garage, and hadnt decided if I wanted to try to talk the wife into the money for a Diamond or just get a decent table.
He will set it up with simonis cloth for 1150.
Yes he knows what he is doing as I have had him do some total reworks on some tables when I had my cue shop.
Thanks for any info you all have. <hr /></blockquote>

When the PBT played the Grand Prix of Puerto Rico (Sep 96), they brought along 8 AMF Grand Prix models. All of them stayed here. See picture:
http://www.tribilliards.com/images/amf/grandprix.gif

About 6 months ago, the owner of the billiard room I play at purchased one of those used AMF for $2,500, set up with Simonis cloth and Aramith pool balls. I helped set up the table. The construction of the table is almost identical to the Gold Crown III (I also helped with this one) which was set up about 6 months earlier. The difference we have noticed is that the AMF runs a little faster than the GC (maybe because of newer cloth) and that the pockets are tighter. The AMF is being used much more these days...

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

03-16-2003, 08:21 PM
I play on them when they were own Brunswick they had a table Just like the Gold Crown we call it AMF Gold Crown. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif