PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks speak out.....

eg8r
03-14-2003, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cnn.com:</font><hr> Country stations across the United States have pulled the Chicks from playlists following reports that lead singer Natalie Maines said in a concert in London earlier this week that she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." <hr /></blockquote> Well, I guess not all celebrities get to air their mouths out. Now if this could just happnen to the Pretenders. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually, are they even on the radio anymore.

Hey ### I wonder if this puts you in a bind. I am sure you agree with them but are they lumped in the same quote you made in another thread, you know being from Texas and all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

heater451
03-14-2003, 08:50 PM
. . .are radio stations part of the "conservative media"?

======================

Rich R.
03-15-2003, 07:14 AM
eg8r, I don't intend to get into a political debate here, but I find it very interesting that you are continuously trashing the celebrities, that disagree with the president, but you never mention the celebrities that agree with the president. I guess the celebrities that agree are smarter than the celebrities that disagree. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I thought it was just freedom of speech. My bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-15-2003, 08:20 AM
"I thought it was just freedom of speech."

Bingo! These overreactions are what worries me about this war on terrorism almost more than the eminent dangers from physical attacks. Between the new surveillance laws on us citizens and backlashes such as this one on this group of celebs, I see more danger in loss of America's liberties than than physical harm from attacks...sid~~~finds that I am not "freedom of speeching" freely like I always used to do, including this modestly made message right here, we done lost something in this war

eg8r
03-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Oh Rich, please show me where in the original post I was trashing the Chicks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
but I find it very interesting that you are continuously trashing the celebrities, that disagree with the president, but you never mention the celebrities that agree with the president. <hr /></blockquote> When I post these, I am showing examples of Hollywood that are against the President and what they say. Why in the world would I post someone that says things that I do agree with.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the celebrities that agree are smarter than the celebrities that disagree.
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, this is funny. A short reply would be NO. I do believe the Dixie Chicks are "not smarter" for what they said. I think the celebrities that have something to say in a negative fashion towards the President, the US, diplomacy or anything else would at least have some fact to back it up.

No one likes political debates because they get personal and some people get offended. I do not get offended because I am sure 9 times out of 10 the person that is debating with me either does not know what they are talking about, or they are speaking from feelings instead of fact. If anyone disagrees then that is fine no problem here but at least use a little fact behind it.

Just to show how some Dems lie, Daschle was on the floor last week stating that Bush cut Homeland security budget by x millions of dollars. Please tell me, how in heck can you cut budget that was never there before?
The basis for his complaint was that the Dems on Capitol Hill asked for x amount , and the Reps asked for y amount (x being higher and y being lower). Well the Dems took the difference of the propsed budgets and called that a cut. What a joke. The Dems saying all this does not bother me because I know they know the truth. The problem with this is that they say it on TV and people watching the TV take it as the truth and do not look around to find the facts.

eg8r &lt;~~~Enjoy intelligent political debates

Gayle in MD
03-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Oh my, here goes, can't let this go by my friend. May I say, it really worries me that you seem to think that if emotions are partly integrated into someone elses opinion, or if they possess a point of view that differs from your own, it automatically follows that they don't have the facts, or that they can't have a legitimate opinion.

All facts are filtered through one's emotional point of view, even your own, whether you want to admit it or not.

Democrats and Republicans lie equally. Both parties have members that lie. Now, that is a fact friend.

Well evolved opinions, in fact all opinions, include ones emotions.

Emotions are neither good or bad, they just are. Being able to feel those emotions, and process them effectivly into ones words and actions in a socially acceptable manner, is what adults do.

May I say, I think that you just might have emotions confused with ego, which can be very damaging to one's ability to process information, and make effective decisions. Unfortunately, ego, is what most politicians have in abundance, lol.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
03-15-2003, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
May I say, it really worries me that you seem to think that if emotions are partly integrated into someone elses opinion, or if they possess a point of view that differs from your own, it automatically follows that they don't have the facts, or that they can't have a legitimate opinion. <hr /></blockquote> Yes you may say whatever you want, you need not ask permission. I did not say "if emotions are partially integrated" this is where you chimed in. What I said was ... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> or they are speaking from feelings instead of fact <hr /></blockquote>...You may not put words in my mouth. So as not to be confusing, I am talking about an opinion being based solely on emotion. This is evident when people talk about the "economic good" of the Welfare program, or when they say "You cannot have peace if you go to war." These are emotionally driven arguments and they do not take fact into consideration. You seem to confuse what I say, so I hope that clearifies it somewhat. The problem is that everytime you have posted on here opposite to what I say you do not post anything that is fact based, just what your ideas or what you think.

You also state that I do not think an opposite opinion from my own could not be based on fact. That is a lie, I ask that you provide the facts. I have never said I knew everything and am never wrong, but it takes more than coming here and saying, "because I said so."

I try not to be very confusing when I post, but I guess I must also ask that you read what I posted before replying. As everyone already knows, I do like political debates and religious debates. I enjoy someone bringing up a topic and then I search out the facts and post a reply. The difference is, when I reply I have searched for a fact based response, you come on here and just say what you think. No problem, to each his own. I generally know most of the reponses I will get here, because every one here watches the news. I also know that even less than that will actually do any kind of research before they post.

eg8r

eg8r
03-15-2003, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. . .are radio stations part of the "conservative media"? <hr /></blockquote> Not sure, but possibly. I find it tough to label conservative media. There are 10 times more liberal TV stations, most all the national newspapers, and most of Hollywood are all Liberal, so maybe the conservatives have radio. It is funny that Donahue's Liberal show got the axe. Another liberal that could not keep a show. There is one easy explanation for this, you do not find a lot of liberals watching current event news shows, talk radio, etc., the liberals are all watching MTV.

I wonder how many celebs were running around during the Revolutionary War demanding we stop fighting?

eg8r

eg8r
03-15-2003, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cnn.com:</font><hr> Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines was singing a new tune late Friday, this time in the form of an apology to President Bush for saying she was ashamed that he was from Texas. "As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect," Maines said in her latest statement. <hr /></blockquote> Here is my opinion of what I think happened...She made her statement and that is what she believed would be the right thing to say since there is growing number of people around the globe that think war is wrong. She is entertaining in these areas and wants to sell out her show. She says what they want to hear and they pay for tickets. Well, her agents notices an uproar here on the home front and decides her statement was not a very American thing to say and Americans are pissed off. Well, her first apology failed to do so, so she made another one (the one I posted).

What this shows to me is...she is too fickle to even stand for what she believes in. She must obviously have some resentment to Bush to say what she said publicly, but she did not say it here on American soil. Then when the guns came running and told her that was a bad political move she just switched gears again. If she had any spine, she would have said, "No, I will not retract what I said, I say what I believe." Well it is obvious to me that 1 of two things has happened, 1. She knows what she did was wrong, or 2. She only cares about the money.

eg8r

rackmup
03-15-2003, 06:24 PM
I like the seriousness of Bush, I miss the antics of Clinton, and, I miss the shade that Nixon's nose provided.

But most of all, I miss my other black sock.

Politicians shouldn't be so political all of the time. They should instead be what they really are...a support group made up of chronic liars, liars and liars in training. The few honest politicians eventually figure things out and become movie stars.

Regards,

Ken

Gayle in MD
03-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Aw, come on now, your so called research is nothing more than opinions anyway. Even statistics can be slanted by the person doing the statical analysis, we all know that.

Everything we each hear on the news, or learn through "Research" is still filtered through our own agendas, values and yes, emotions, you included.

You say that I am a lier because I said that you seem to think that others who do not agree with you aare speaking only from emotion, and or without facts. PALEEZE, you do that all the time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices this, my friend.

I just think that a little humility goes a long way when discussing high powered issues such as politics or religeon.

Also, please do some research and show me some evidence of how it is possible to have peaceful WAR???? Yet you pass this off as being an emotionally driven arguement.

Why not just say what you think, and allow others to speak their minds also, without trying to put them down for thinking as they do.

Just a suggestion, lol.

Gayle in Md

Kato
03-15-2003, 10:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>But most of all, I miss my other black sock.

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

I refuse to debate politics and religion, I will however try and help you Ken. Please either check under your bed or ask your dogs where they put your black sock. I understand your frustration and I hope this helps.

Kato~~~~knows that Ren and Stimpy have all of my "left socks"

rackmup
03-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Kato,

Beneath the bed was the first place I looked. As I did so, both dogs seemed to be in fear of what I might discover. They seemed relieved when I came up empty-handed.

It was just a theory but I believe they are in possession of the missing sock and move it from time-to-time, just to stay one step ahead of my investigative strategies.

So today, I threw them the perverbial "curve ball":

I broke out a brand new pair of black socks and purposely left them out for the dogs to view. These weren't cheap socks either. No sir. For this little plan-of-attack I went all the way. For the dog's chewing pleasure, I tempted them with a brand new pair of Georgio Armani calf-length socks with the "comfort stay-up band" ($25.00 per pair at Neiman's.)

At first, they did the usual "innocent dog thing" by simply sniffing the brand new socks, licking the paper band that holds them together and eventually, walking away in seeming disinterest.

But I know their plan: "Wait until Dad hits the shower and we'll grab the new socks" so, I stepped back up on the "hill" and fired another breaking ball their way:

"Go ahead, chew up those socks. I want you to. I bought them just for you" I said as I stepped into the shower.

They think it's a trick. The socks have remained right where I placed them and the missing sock? It reappeared this morning along with the Sunday paper and a note of apology...anonymously of course.

But, I know it was them. "Madison", my Jack Russell Terrier (famous for her sock-chewing escapades and responsible for corrupting my Pug, "McKenzie") has terrible pensmanship.

She wrote the note. I'd recognize those paw prints anywhere. McKenzie's level of involvement has yet to be determined but you can bet, I'm keeping a close eye on both of them.

I'm onto these sneaky little critters.

Regards,

Ken

bluewolf
03-16-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Oh my, here goes, can't let this go by my friend. May I say, it really worries me that you seem to think that if emotions are partly integrated into someone elses opinion, or if they possess a point of view that differs from your own, it automatically follows that they don't have the facts, or that they can't have a legitimate opinion.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey I like eg8r, but I accept that in matters of politics or other matters, eg comes across as thinking he is right and everyone who does not agree is wrong.

This is called being rigid. But, I think we are all rigid to one degree or another and even those of us who are mostly flexible at times feel so strongly about an issue that we are adamant. Anyway it just seems egg comes across as more this way but since I have been known to be rigid at times too, I cannot throw stones. That is my take and my opinion only.

Laura

rackmup
03-16-2003, 08:08 AM
My pal eg8r will tell you four things (and if you don't believe me, ask his wife):

1. He is never wrong about politics.
2. He is never wrong about religion.
3. A woman's place is where the man tells her to be (most often at the corner burger joint fetching him a burger.)
4. He has only been wrong once in his life and as it turned out, it was a mistake so he has still never been wrong.

Regards /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif,

Ken

Gayle in MD
03-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Ken, I'm so gald you are on this board, LOL. I just love to read your posts! Thanks again for making my day, you're too funny.

Eg8r...enjoy your posts too, sometimes, lol.

bluewolf
03-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Well I still like him anyway.

Laura

eg8r
03-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Thank you Rackmup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
03-16-2003, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8r...enjoy your posts too, sometimes, lol. <hr /></blockquote> LOL I enjoy your posts also. No hard feelings with me, ever. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
03-16-2003, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle (but I like it):</font><hr> PALEEZE <hr /></blockquote> This my favorite word. LOL

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle's intrepretation of Eg8r:</font><hr> possible to have peaceful WAR <hr /></blockquote> I never said this. I said...
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> or when they say "You cannot have peace if you go to war." These are emotionally driven arguments and they do not take fact into consideration. <hr /></blockquote> I do not know how you derived your quote from what I said but I guess that is how it is. The fact of my quote is that there ARE peaceful times after war (generally waiting for the dust to settle and rebuild process to take place). I never said the word "after" in the quote and that was as deliberate as the protestors refusing to agree there might actually BE peace after war. Also, when we are finished mowing through Iraq and removing Saddams empire from control, lets see what the Iraqi people say.

I wonder if they (Iraqi people) will have PEACE of mind now that Saddam is gone? I wonder if they will enjoy freedom of speech when Saddam is gone? I wonder if they will embrace freedom much the way Americans have for the past couple hundred years?

Who knows, maybe all the protestors are correct and the Iraqi people love their lifestyle and their appointed government. You tell me, I think the result is peace.

I am not saying it will be peace everlasting but until the next conflict maybe it will be Peace.

eg8r

rackmup
03-16-2003, 09:46 AM
"...the Truth shall set you free."

In the words of a very famous Police Detective:

"Just the facts Ma'am. Just the facts."
Sgt Joe Friday-LAPD.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif,

Ken

SPetty
03-16-2003, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>These are emotionally driven arguments and they do not take fact into consideration. ... The problem is that everytime you have posted on here opposite to what I say you do not post anything that is fact based, just what your ideas or what you think.

That is a lie, I ask that you provide the facts. I have never said I knew everything and am never wrong, but it takes more than coming here and saying, "because I said so."

I enjoy someone bringing up a topic and then I search out the facts and post a reply. The difference is, when I reply I have searched for a fact based response, you come on here and just say what you think. No problem, to each his own. I generally know most of the reponses I will get here, because every one here watches the news. I also know that even less than that will actually do any kind of research before they post.<hr /></blockquote>Howdy,

So where do you get your facts? What kind of research do you do? What makes you know that your facts are more factual than the facts that those who disagree with you have? What's wrong with getting information from the news? What's wrong with using that information to formulate opinions? Why are you the only one around here that seems to be able to get the facts? Do you think the news doesn't report the facts?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r in another post:</font><hr>There are 10 times more liberal TV stations, most all the national newspapers, and most of Hollywood are all Liberal, so maybe the conservatives have radio. ... There is one easy explanation for this, you do not find a lot of liberals watching current event news shows, talk radio, etc., the liberals are all watching MTV.<hr /></blockquote>So where did these facts come from?

SPetty~~~(Caution, this is just my opinion not based on researched fact), you sometimes come across rather unfriendly, like kind of a jerk, when you post these types of posts. If that's your intent, you're doing fine. However if you really don't want to sound like that, you might want to reread and edit your posts a little to see if you can make them a little less jerky and a little more friendly. I know I'd appreciate it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
03-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Fine work as always Ken, fine work.

Kato~~~owns many pairs of dress socks but no Armani, will have to look into that

eg8r
03-16-2003, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So where do you get your facts? <hr /></blockquote> News (Fox and CNN so I get both biased opinions), Newspapers, Matt Drudge, Neal Boortz, Washington Times, NY Times, CNN.com and Fox.com, and WSJ.com. If this is not thorough or bi partisan enough for you, I don't know what would be. What do you look at?

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of research do you do? <hr /></blockquote> I have been part of quite a few case studies for my employer and was involved quite deeply in the Afghanistan war with my employer. During this time we were working proposals for future buys and reducing the amount of time it takes to reach a DD250. All this has to do with war, and how my employer reacts to what the US is doing world wide. I first started a Poly Sci degree and moved through the program ahead of schedule and changed degrees near the end (this is nothing new for college students).
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with getting information from the news? <hr /></blockquote> Did I say this was wrong or did you? I just think it is more important to know what you are watching or reading, are they biased and how so, and how does that affect how they tell the story.
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with using that information to formulate opinions? <hr /></blockquote> I think you are soo of track with this, you must have just typed everything in your head. I don't remember saying this, I actually have asked for it to happen. I don't think this is very often and I do not remember you ever doing it.
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you the only one around here that seems to be able to get the facts? <hr /></blockquote> Never said I was, I have asked repeatedly for facts. Just list some once in awhile instead of telling me what you think, that is not good enough in the real world.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spetty:</font><hr> So where did these facts come from? <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> There are 10 times more liberal TV stations, most all the national newspapers, and most of Hollywood are all Liberal, so maybe the conservatives have radio. ... There is one easy explanation for this, you do not find a lot of liberals watching current event news shows, talk radio, etc., the liberals are all watching MTV. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> Never stated that was a fact. However, how about you list one conservative station that has been on the air for more than 3 years and see if I can name 10 liberal stations for you.
[ QUOTE ]
Caution, this is just my opinion not based on researched fact), you sometimes come across rather unfriendly, like kind of a jerk, when you post these types of posts. <hr /></blockquote> Well stated, and I understand this, but I have also stated that none of this means anything more than just a board you read.
[ QUOTE ]
However if you really don't want to sound like that, you might want to reread and edit your posts a little to see if you can make them a little less jerky and a little more friendly. I know I'd appreciate it. <hr /></blockquote> This is a funny quote. You ask me to change the way I post yet you do the same thing right back. Does the smiley face change this? If so, then I can make a simply click myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do not intend to change because I am not being personal with anyone. I will state what I know as fact and if you disagree PROVE it, this is what I try to do when I disagree with you (read: rest of the board not just SPetty).

eg8r

SPetty
03-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the response.

heater451
03-16-2003, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
. . .are radio stations part of the "conservative media"? <hr /></blockquote> Not sure, but possibly. I find it tough to label conservative media. There are 10 times more liberal TV stations, most all the national newspapers, and most of Hollywood are all Liberal, so maybe the conservatives have radio. It is funny that Donahue's Liberal show got the axe. Another liberal that could not keep a show. There is one easy explanation for this, you do not find a lot of liberals watching current event news shows, talk radio, etc., the liberals are all watching MTV.

I wonder how many celebs were running around during the Revolutionary War demanding we stop fighting?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>Actually, I think that most discussions about which way the media leans is misguided. When it comes down to it, their decisions are guided by a higher power--that of the almighty dollar. . . . (Note: I am still riding the joking wave here, since to get serious about politics on the discussion board is about as productive as telling the cat that I'd prefer her to poop in the litter box, as opposed to my bathroom floor.)

===================

TomBrooklyn
03-16-2003, 08:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cnn.com:</font><hr> Natalie Maines said that she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."<hr /></blockquote> Bravo for those radio stations. I'm embarrassed by Natalie Maines.

Hopster
03-17-2003, 09:45 PM
What this shows to me is...she is too fickle to even stand for what she believes in. She must obviously have some resentment to Bush to say what she said publicly, but she did not say it here on American soil. Then when the guns came running and told her that was a bad political move she just switched gears again. If she had any spine, she would have said, "No, I will not retract what I said, I say what I believe." Well it is obvious to me that 1 of two things has happened, 1. She knows what she did was wrong, or 2. She only cares about the money. &lt;---eg8r

You called it 1000% right brother. If she had any balls she would have said it and that would have been that. No retractions, no apologys. But she seen the heat coming and folded.