PDA

View Full Version : Color of Money

jjinfla
03-16-2003, 05:57 AM
The Color of Money will be telecast on TCM at 1:45am EST tomorrow morning. Jake

socrates
03-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Jake thanks for the heads up.

I have watched this movie so many times I think I have all the lines memorized. One of my favorites is Fast Eddie talking to Vincent about straigt pool vs. nine ball which goes something like this.

You call this pool? No this isn't pool, this is for bangers- it's like cribbage or something. No straight pool is pool, you need to be a real surgeon to get a shot off, takes finesse. Now a days everythning is nine-ball. Good for loud break shots - good for TV. Oh well, what the he.., checkers sells more than chess.

Was disappointed in the recently released DVD. The only special feature it has is scene selection. Oh well, I can still get to the Werewolf in London Scene faster than the VCR.

If you watch that scene closely you can see that they changed the position of the balls on Vincent's one handed shot from the original position to the position where he actually strokes the ball.

Icon of Sin
03-16-2003, 10:00 AM
also if you watch real close during the matches at the tournement in the end. Under each ball the cloth looks to be a little bit lighter showing where the balls should be placed before filming.

landshark1002000
03-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Hey Socrates:
Me too! I know most of the movie lines by heart!

During your quote from the film, Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is shooting. Did you notice how they set up the table to make the shot easier for Newman?

-- He would have missed the shot they filmed! -- His bankshot went wide. But they placed a ball on the shortrail --near the pocket. Newman's ball hits the rail ball and gets caromed into the pocket!(smart thinking if you want to get the take.)

--Ted from Phoenix

socrates
03-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Now that you mention it I do recall thinking something similar when I watch the movie.

Wonder if they figured that out right away or if he kept missing it wide until they put up the ball?

"Gotta, be a student of human moves kid." ..... "Thats my area of excellence." Fast Eddie

Rod
03-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jake,
I haven't watched that move for well over a year, it's on in 30 minutes here, good timing.

Rod

Cueless Joey
03-17-2003, 10:19 AM
On one scene, Cruise shoots at the 9-ball blindly while looking at Newman. Then on the next scene, he's shooting another ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Of course, the Tom Cruise Runout is now infamous. 5 stop shots in a row while the crowd is going wild.

Kato
03-17-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>Of course, the Tom Cruise Runout is now infamous. 5 stop shots in a row while the crowd is going wild. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah Joey you're correct. However I would like to point out to you that "his hair was perfect"

Kato~~~has never actually had "perfect hair"

03-18-2003, 05:00 AM
I love the "Moses are you a hustler"-bit... I mean whatever he (Whitaker) says in the end of the scene. And the Miz: "I didn't deserve that"-bit.

Great movie, although I didn't think so before the 3rd time I saw it... (!)

jjinfla
03-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Or Kieth's, "don't choke, it's not that hard of a shot". But the really funny, ironic part of the movie is at the end when Fast Eddie gets upset because his protege dumps on him to raise the odds and comes in with all the moola. Seems to me Eddie would have been very happy that his student learned so well. Too bad they never came back with a sequel showing Fast Eddie on the road again. Jake~~~hard to believe that the COM came out in 1986 - doesn't seem that long ago. Don't even want to think about how long ago the Hustler came out.

Predator314
03-18-2003, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Or Kieth's, "don't choke, it's not that hard of a shot". <hr /></blockquote>

This was by far the best part of the movie. He was a great actor. "The Impossible Dream..."

Gayle in MD
03-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Love the movie, but I must say, Paul N. is ten times sexier than Tom C., always was and always will be, and he can park his shoes under my bed anyday!!! He's almost as sexy as my Jim....SEXY SEXY MAN....
Gayle in Md, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan
03-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Rod,

I heard that you were the inspiration for Fast Eddie's character - is it true?

Got your reservation for 'Vegas around May 15?

SpiderMan

Kato
03-18-2003, 11:05 AM
You are soooooo bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato

Rod
03-18-2003, 11:07 AM
There is a little Fast Eddie in all of the old time players. After he, Mr. Newman watched me play, I can see how he could be guided that direction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif One problem he always has had though, he can't chalk a cue tip! It looks like he is drilling for oil. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vegas is not out of the question, it just looks a little dim.

Rod

L.S. Dennis
03-18-2003, 11:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Or Kieth's, "don't choke, it's not that hard of a shot". But the really funny, ironic part of the movie is at the end when Fast Eddie gets upset because his protege dumps on him to raise the odds and comes in with all the moola. Seems to me Eddie would have been very happy that his student learned so well. Too bad they never came back with a sequel showing Fast Eddie on the road again. Jake~~~hard to believe that the COM came out in 1986 - doesn't seem that long ago. Don't even want to think about how long ago the Hustler came out. <hr /></blockquote>

The Hustler 1961

03-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know if Paul Newman is any good at pool in real life?

Rod
03-19-2003, 12:08 AM
He plays above average. I imagine he use to play some what better when the hustler was made.

Rod

landshark1002000
03-19-2003, 02:11 AM
Hey Johnny:
I heard a story where Newman played Gleason between takes.
The bet was fifty bucks. Newman lost. He paid gleason in pennies.

--Ted from Phoenix

Rod
03-19-2003, 02:38 AM
I heard that story but not from Newman. He told me Gleason and him played 4 games of 14-1 during the shoot. The shoot took 41 days. They each won two.

Rod