PDA

View Full Version : "Stroke Pause" Study: Facts, Myths & Conclusions..

rackmup
03-16-2003, 09:57 AM
I've done extensive research into the "Stroke Pause vs. Fluid Stroke" debate ever since this question first appeared in my "Texas A&M Billiardology" curiculum back in 1983.

Through this research and the use of robotics, human test subjects and the information derived from the mating habits of elephants (where the finest pool cue ivory comes from), I have finally come to this conclusion:

ANY pause in stroke causes tension in the:

<ul type="square"> WRIST EXTENSORS: (really a group of 3 muscles location in the posterior(lateral)/Forearm.
WRIST FLEXORS: 2 main muscles in the Anterior forearm.
BICEPS BRACHII: Anterior of the upper arm.
TRICEPS BRACHII: Posterior of the upper arm.
PRONATOR TERES: Anterior of the arm diagonally across elbow.
SUPINATOR MUSCLE: Anterior location of the arm Lateral to the elbow area.
DELTOID: All 3 heads.
PECTORALIS MAJOR: Chest one either side of sternum and upper anterior part of chest.
LATISSIMUS DORSI: Lateral aspects of back (a pause causes tension of the lower of thoracic region.
TERES MAJOR: Lateral aspect of the back between lats and delts.
SUPRASPINATUS: Posterior scapular region in the supraspinus fossa.
TERES MINOR: Lateral aspects of upper back.
TRAPEZIUS: Back of neck and shoulder to delts.
SERRATUS ANTERIOR: Lateral aspect of upper chest.
RHOMBOIDS: (deep upper back between spine / scapula muscles.)[/list]
It can also cause a severe tension in the:

ANULUS GLANDULARITUS cavity located between the BUTTOCKICULAR CHEEKUS SACS.

This particular muscle stress alone causes me tremendous concern and the victim horrific pain*.

(*based on case studies spanning the period from 1971-1983 at the Federal Prison of Florence (Arizona), Maximum Security Unit, Block "B" Bravo, Pod 7.)

RESULTS OF STUDY:

<ul type="square"> A pause in your stroke will cause you to MISS your intended shot 83% of the time (it's a statistical fact.)
A fluid stroke will result in intended shots MADE 17% of the time. [/list]
CONCLUSION:

The statistics are the same but the fluid stroke is more aesthetically pleasing to those watching your game.

The results of this study and it's final conclusions were forwarded to the Billiards Congress of America upon the publishing of the above listed facts but they have chosen to ignore these studies just as the Tobacco Industry chose to ignore the adverse effects of NICOTINE and it's inherent addictive qualities.

I hope this helps all of you in your quest for billiards perfection.

Regards,

Ken (No apologies to Fast Larry, RandyG or Scott Lee (or 95% of all the supposed "Instructors" out there) as they simply do NOT have the background in Billiardology that I possess.)

03-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Yo rack em up dude, finally somebody comes along who knows sumtin &amp; has done real tests with circus elephants, why did I not think of that, I used Wonder Dog instead. You took da words right out of my mouth, do dis, pause for 3 seconds on youse back swing &amp; begin to think about 4 things, youse freeze like a deer in the middle of I-95 with a pair of headlights bearing down on him.

Dude, I could have told you not to waste youse postage sending dis scientific study to does BCA instructors, dey would not understand a word of it. You might try dropping a copy in da mail to Ringling Bros, I bet dey will read it.

Dis is what I said, when youse trapezius latasimuses pronate youse teres &amp; lock up, youse is toast, and youse choke like a dog, and you will soon be a regular diner at da McDonalds dumpster.

Youse wuz a little more elegant in your medical description, but weeze both said da same damn thing. Maybe when these Turkeys freeze on dare backswings for 3 seconds &amp; begin to think about 4 things, they could add 3 more to da list, you know now I have to relax my traps, now relax my lats, now relax my teres, do I breath in &amp; out when I release the cue, or should I hold my breath, should I dress on the left or right of my tux pants, I mean da list could go on &amp; on.

I can tell you what is in my head, or in Wonder Dogs head when we pull da trigger on a shot, absolutely nuttin, which is easy for Wonder Dog, because he aint got nutting rolling around up dare to confuse him, but me, I got a l52 IQ, and it's a little hard to shut off all dose inner voices &amp; all dat crap others are saying, to play in da same mental frame old Wonder Does, with a total empty brain aint easy. Now how can I think about anything or get confused, so all I now see is da shot, ad da ball goin in da pocket, aint life simple &amp; sweet now. It is really scary, when you finally realize da game can actually be dis easy, unless youse is one of dem brand X instructors who wants to make da game complicated &amp; confusin so you can never figure it out &amp; keep runnin back to dem &amp; payin dem a lot of loot for dem to just keep confusin you forever. Me, I just tell it like it is, some like it, some dont, and for those who dont, and trash me on da board, they can go kiss my ass. Fast Larry.

JohnnyP
03-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Waiting for Larry to clear this up.

JohnnyP
03-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Beat me to it.

Ralph S.
03-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Ralph S.&gt;waiting for Larry to go back to English 101 and learn how to speak more properly.

rackmup
03-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Your attempts at humor are almost as irritating as your attempts to pass yourself off as an "Instructor".

I just cannot lay to rest the time you indicated you were a BCA Instructor yet, they know nothing of you.

Let me guess...you were a Navy SEAL too and you alone are responsible for the capture of Noriega.

C'mon...you can tell me the truth. It'll just be between me and you.

Regards,

Ken

Vapros
03-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Research has verified that 62% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.

TonyM
03-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Very amusing rackmup!

I notice that the sarcasm and humor in your post flew right over Larry's head like a U2 over Iraq!

Oh well, I guess the moniker "Fast" wasn't from being quick on the uptake!

Lol!

Tony
-appreciated the humor....

03-17-2003, 01:35 AM
I graduated from the BCA school, and I posted all of that proof, sir I did not realize that they could stack S*** that high down in Texas. Get you facts straight before you go running off at the mouth not knowing what you are talking about. Soon, I'll post a copy of that certificate on my web site, but bragging about that worthless piece of paper is not real high on my priority list right now. I just got up my Riply's stuff, and Wonder Dog has new pictures, I find that more important now. Kiss my a** turkey. I don't have to prove nothing to you S*** for brains. www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) Fast Larry

rackmup
03-17-2003, 05:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> I did not realize that they could stack S*** that high down in Texas. Get <hr /></blockquote>[ QUOTE ]
Kiss my a** turkey. I don't have to prove nothing to you S*** for brains<hr /></blockquote>

With your comments, I think you've proven enough...beyond all reasonable doubt!

Regards,

Ken

bluewolf
03-17-2003, 05:49 AM
You guys!!! Larry insults you. You insult Larry. Boy this negativity sure is getting a lot of band width.

Round and round the mulberry bush!!!

Laura

eg8r
03-17-2003, 10:04 AM
More professionalism from Fast... [ QUOTE ]
Kiss my a** turkey. I don't have to prove nothing to you S*** for brains. <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

Cueless Joey
03-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Bravo Racker! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Another classic.
Sometimes I wonder if it's the stroke pause that is recommended or the EYE-pause. If your cue is moving fluidly while your eyes are dead on the ob for two seconds or more, wouldn't that be more "natural"? I know I can't draw the cueball a lick if I pause b4 the last stroke.
I saw Davenport here last year. Now, if somebody had the perfect mechanics, it's Kim. Kim keeps his head dead still. He has two sets of stroke I noticed. He first does his warmup pump strokes to get in line, then when he's in line, he strokes really slow then shoots.
Efren doesn't pause ala Corr or Fisher either. He pauses a little then strokes 3 more times then hits the cb.
Strickland never pauses at all..

Bob_in_Cincy
03-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Nice "shot" ............

Regards,

Bob In Cincy