PDA

View Full Version : Calling George Fels!

BillPorter
03-20-2002, 10:38 AM
George, I just finished reading your Tips&Shafts article in the April BD. Enjoyable reading, as always. I had two thoughts to share with you. First, you mention that when you played pool with your son at Amsterdam's you were violating "all my steadfast principles at the same time." (Playing with no warm up after flying west and using strange equipment.) It occurred to me that it is strangely common for us human beings to hold various "steadfast principles" in areas such as romantic relationships, financial investments, and career decisions and then, in our own behavior, violate each and every one of them! One begins to wonder what it really means to have "steadfast principles!" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

The other thought occurred when I thought back to your prior article about running 99 balls when first playing with a new tip that we have tentatively identified as a Talisman Pro soft. Gee, if you got a McDermott cue like the one you used at Amsterdam's, stuck on a Predator shaft with a Talisman Pro soft tip, Efren, Earl, Mika, Cory and those other guys might as well unjoint their cues when they see you coming! BTW, it's really great to read a magazine article and know that you can post a note that the author will probably read and reply to. (Sorry about ending that sentence with a preposition.)

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 06:56 PM
Kentucky must have a better POSTAL system than OHIO.. YOU Have received your APRIL BD already?????

Extremly jealous... Bring it with you next Saturday at the tournament.. and I will read it while you beat up on the regulars.. that are a month behind....

TomBrooklyn
03-20-2002, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BillPorter:</font><hr> BTW, it's really great to read a magazine article and know that you can post a note that the author will probably read and reply to. (Sorry about ending that sentence with a preposition.)<hr></blockquote>Bill, I'm sorry that I had to endure an apology at the terminus of your erudite comments. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif <font color=blue>Is it actually improper to end a sentence in a preposition?</font color=blue> I have struggled with this grammatical conundrum on occasion myself. I couldn't readily think of an alternate wording. A little help here, someone?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I couldn't readily think of an alternate wording. A little help here, someone?<hr></blockquote>
<font color=blue>"BTW, it's really great to read a magazine article and know that you can post a note that the author will probably read and <font color=black>[probably return a response]</font color=black> reply to. (Sorry about ending that sentence with a preposition.)"</font color=blue>

always considered ending a sententance in a preposition an outright act of definace to my english teacher.. and still do.. and just a friendly way of talking to people....

BillPorter
03-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Tom,

I'll try to remember to bring the BD. But my memory is so poor these days I'll be doing well (good?) to remember my cue stick.

BillPorter
03-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Tom,

Maybe I could have said that it is great to read a magazine article and know that you can post a note that will be read and replied to by the author. Actually, I don't think they can put you in jail for ending sentences with prepositions. In fact, I believe most grammarians would say that the incorrectness of ending a sentence with a preposition is really just a myth. Here' one for you...."Remember, too, a preposition is a terrible word to end a sentence with."
-- William Safire (Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author &amp; Journalist)

cheesemouse
03-20-2002, 10:42 PM
Bill,
Do you believe in the here after? As in what am I here after. If your memory is like mine I find myself in a room wondering why did I just get up and come into this room. What am I here after!! LOL

SPetty
03-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Remember, too, the old joke:

A new college student stops a teacher and asks: "Where's the library at?"

The teacher responds along these same lines of admonishing the student to not end his sentences with prepositions.

So the new college student revises his query: "O.K., where's the library at, bitch?"

SPetty ~~ apologies to Moms and 12 year old daughters...

Rod
03-21-2002, 02:35 PM
Cheese, sometimes I go back to the starting point, scratch my head and say, oh now I remember! Here I thought it was only me, it's good not to feel alone. Now what was I going to say!! ha ha
Well at least I know what ball to shoot next!

cheesemouse
03-21-2002, 02:49 PM
Rod,
When I go back to the starting point I sit there and chuckle to myself. I am wondering if this is the beginning of the long good bye. When I'm in a place like K-Mart and I see some old guy staring at some display my first thought is "that guy don't even know why he's here". It's kind of funny. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

JimS
03-21-2002, 03:15 PM
"Well at least I know what ball to shoot next." That's why I quit 8 ball! Walk away from the table, say hello to someone, go back to the table without a clue!

03-21-2002, 03:43 PM
ok, as long as we're telling stories on ourselves i'll repeat one i mentioned here (i think it was here...where am i?) a while back.

i'm standing there looking like i'm devising some kind of massively complicated stategy when i finally inquire of the other guy:"uh, am i stripes or solids??"

he takes a minute then explains:"well, dan, you're solids. at least, that is, until you get to the 9. then you're stripes."

another one not on me. playing after league a week ago a young friend who was temporarily old-aged in terms of short term memory was playing someone else when he came to me and wispered "i'm embarrased. i can't remember if i'm stripes or solids." since i was not paying attention and didn't know myself, i simply went over to the other player and asked, in a friendly and helpful manner..."on that last shot, exactly what were you trying to accomplish??" "well," he says, "i was trying to sink the six in the side and leave the q-ball about here." "good thinking, really smart pool" i tell him as my friend assumes the table with great relief and starts murdering stripes.

boy does he owe me.

dan

Doctor_D
03-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Good evening George:

So good to hear from you. Stick around, we miss you!

Dr. D.

03-22-2002, 06:45 AM
Here's a hiccup of mine. Playing a race of 9-ball,I broke and did'nt make anything,other guy misses the 1,I come to the friggin table and start playing 14.1. Played perfect patterns and got a great breakshot on the 3 behind the rack!!.I step away and sit down waiting for the rackboy(other guy) to set em up, and he's in the chair giggling at me!.Then he sais uh FOUL, I realize my head is in my ass and start to laugh also!.I said ...why didnt you stop me?...Then he sais ,you play better straight pool than me, I was just watching your patterns!!!...The nerve of some people!....let me foul out AND tried to steal my patterns!!....LOL....oh well...Gerry

Tom_In_Cincy
03-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Well, its been awhile now.. and still no George.. maybe he's on vacation and playing pool somewhere warm.. I hope so..

03-22-2002, 08:30 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the column, Bill, and I apologize for keeping you waiting this long for a response. It's been a relatively busy week for me.

What I've decided about my success at Amsterdam - and this is strictly a semi-educated guess - was that the McDermott sans Predator shaft required me to play mostly center-ball. That represents a sort of culture shock for me - I've always made more use of spin than was good for me - and I think that particular departure from routine helped to negate my violating all my other policies. But as you say, we've all had to look the other way when it comes to the rules we set for ourselves. Many thanks again for writing. GF

BillPorter
03-23-2002, 06:58 AM
George, thanks for the reply. An interesting speculation about playing center ball with the McDermott. I didn't know that you were one of those players (like myself) who loves to "spin your toy!" Maybe that would be a topic for an article some day--players known for being "spin addicts." Take care....