PDA

View Full Version : Breaking with playing cue (Predator 2)

03-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Just acquired a Predator 2 with hard LePro tip. Can I use it to break without any damage to cue or tip? What are the risks? Am I giving up anything in playing performance?

I haven't had a chance to break it in good yet, but the little I have used it, I'm feeling good about my purchase.

This is my first post.

Flyin-Q
03-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Congrats on your purchase of the Pred 2. I have had mine now for a while and I really like it. When I bought mine I tried to get a Pred BK shaft to go on it but I could not buy the shaft seperate. So I ended up buying both. I have very little experience breaking with my pred 2 so I can't tell you if you will hurt it. I personally don't like the idea of breaking with my shooting cue unless it is a softer break, I don't want to mushroom the tip or worse yet loose it and have to play with something else. I like to hit the cb as hard as I can and still maintain control of it. I was told by pred the lepro tip on the pred 2 was medium not hard. The tip on the pred bk is a hard layered sniper tip. (But I could be wrong) Sorry I'm not more help.

Love da Game

Flyin-Q

Big_Jon
03-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Listen... if i was thinking twice about breaking with my playing cue, i would sell it. If you can damage a cue by breaking with it, then it wouldnt' hold up to playing in the long run.

Thanks

Jon

P.S. Ok guys, let me have it now, i'm ready... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

03-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I was told the tip was hard, but I'll confirm. It would be convenient to break with the player and of course there is a cost factor for separate cue. I was interested in the pros and cons.

TomBrooklyn
03-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I break with my playing cue. It had a WB tip, but I just put an Elk Master on it and I still break with it. If the tip mushrooms, I will trim and burnish it. If I didn't want to break with my playing cue, I would use my own break cue.

I see a lot of people break with a house cue. Considering that these cue stick connoisseurs require finely crafted cue sticks with a special quality "hit", doesn't it seem ironic that they use a chewed up house cue that they are not used to shooting with for the most important shot in the game?

bluewolf
03-16-2003, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote festes:</font><hr> Just acquired a Predator 2 with hard LePro tip. Can I use it to break without any damage to cue or tip? What are the risks? Am I giving up anything in playing performance?

I haven't had a chance to break it in good yet, but the little I have used it, I'm feeling good about my purchase.

This is my first post. <hr /></blockquote>

I am curios about this pred 2. How is it different from the regular predator? I have the spw and I think it shoots very good

laura

MarkUrsel
03-16-2003, 09:07 PM
The difference with the Predator 2 is that the butt is also a 10 piece splice rather than the normal butt construction used in the rest of the Predator lineup. I don't know if it makes all that much difference. It feels very nice to play with and certainly is a well-made, nicely balanced cue. But hey, the proof is in whether or not it works for the person using it. Put a $1000 cue in my hands, and I'll bet I make all the same mistakes I make now!

MarkUrsel
03-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey, break away with it. Tips are replaceable and all that breaking does is mushroom the tip faster than you would normally. The lepro tips that come on the Predators are pretty hard though, so they shouldn't mushroom quickly.

I use a Predator as well, but I do have a break stick just because I use a softer tip on the Predator. If you're worried about the wood part of the cue, don't. It's a bunch of good chunks of maple, metal and glue and will handle power breaks with no problems.

Perk
03-17-2003, 08:05 AM
Great answer. The tip is what is damaged by the breaks. Obviously tip wear is normal, the process is spead up by breeaking with it. If you shape your tip properly, and burnish, it will last a long time. I break with my Predator and have always broke with it. Even with this, I dont replace tips any faster than friends who have break cues. Alot of people use break cues more for the looks or the name of the break cue.

Deeman
03-17-2003, 08:14 AM
If you are a really agressive breaker, I would use a break cue. I have damaged shafts in flexing the cue on really hard nine ball breaks. It may not happen but if you have a favorite shaft, it would be a shame to break it. I don't think most house cues are very good break cues but better than damaging your own. If you are not a strong player, the break won't matter as much and the house cue would be o.k. If you are a threat to run out most games, you need your own break cue for a consistent break.

Dee

Perk
03-17-2003, 08:27 AM
I carry a spare 314 shaft just in case. I use both as to keep both accurate. I have intentions of owning a break cue, but justifyin the cost vs difference in break is another thing. The way the original post was questioned, I answered that you can break with a playin cue without damage. Of course if you are agressive as you put it, you could damage any cue, even a break cue.

Deeman
03-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Perk,

You are right. I would, however, rather break a break cue then my shooting cue. Maybe that's another reason to call them a "Break Cue!" O.k., not very funny.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dee

Scott Lee
03-17-2003, 09:01 AM
No way Big Jon! You are 100% right, that if you can't break with your playing cue, it isn't a good cue! Many people who "damage" their cue by breaking are most likely breaking wrong, by trying to hit the CB too hard, and or not stroking the CB DEAD CENTER. When you break with spin, you put the most stress on the glue bond, and it could pop off the tip. Just because a tip might mushroom, is, imo, no bearing on whether or not to break with it. Nobody...not
even the cuemaker or tip repair guy, can tell if a tip will mushroom, until you put in on a cue and play with it. Layered tips are less likely to mushroom, than single layer tips like LePros, but a good tip won't mushroom, whether you break with it or not.

Scott Lee

Kato
03-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Since cracking the phenolic tip on my break/jump I've switched to breaking with my Predator SLP (no longer used as my play cue). I haven't really been playing lately but the cue really breaks well. I've also begun dabbling with the cut break and the Predator works an awful lot better than a phenolic tipped cue.

I'm off Predator as a play cue but wouldn't ya know that I like it as a breaker.

Kato

griffith_d
03-17-2003, 12:32 PM
The only thing about the Pred Bk and 314 shaft on the Pred 2 is the taper on the BK (large diameter) to make it stiffer. It also comes with the harder layered tip,.. mine came with the Sniper tip made just for Pred. Now they may offer a choice or different tip(I have heard).

Actually, I can break better with my Meucci with a 314 than the BK,..it may be just because I am used to it. The BK is one nice break cue for the money,...hey, it comes with a 314 doesn't it!

Griff

wolfsburg2
03-17-2003, 12:41 PM
"I see a lot of people break with a house cue. Considering that these cue stick connoisseurs require finely crafted cue sticks with a special quality "hit", doesn't it seem ironic that they use a chewed up house cue that they are not used to shooting with for the most important shot in the game? "

and that is why i now have a break cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Michelle
03-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, there is one reason I can think of to have a separate break cue. Many people have found that they break better with a very hard, rather flat tip, similar to a jump cue tip. And, a very hard, flat tip is not what you usually use on your playing cue. So you would have to have a separate break stick...

Michelle

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 05:21 PM
I tried the pred 2 at vf and thought it hit super. I do have the pred bk for breaking. It breaks super, so does my pred sp and so do my two blackhearts. Seems like if I do my technique right, the balls bust up, if not, then they dont.

Laura