PDA

View Full Version : My first non apa tournament!!

bluewolf
03-17-2003, 07:00 AM
I finally got up the nerve to play in this local tournament. There are handicaps but very good players including a players.It is double elimination and only costs $15.

I had been practicing and doing much better at my cut shots so felt I was ready to start doing this.

I drew a strong apa 4 for 8 ball. I shot almost as good as he did. I got 100% of my long straight ins and 60% of my cuts (long and short) in too. I was so proud of myself with some of the hard shots I got. He beat me 4-0. I learned that the defensive strategy that worked so well with 2s and 3s did not work very well with this player so that is one thing I learned. He was a good shooter(even made a very pretty bank shot) except for the long cuts and he was also very good with breaking up clusters and getting position and knowing the order of the balls to shoot. I told him at the end that I wanted to play some better players so that I could tell the things I needed to work on. He was a nice, solid player and I had fun playing him!

Then I played 9 ball, my second time for playing that.The guy I played is on the verge of moving to a 4 and is a good shooter. Well I sunk every ball I shot, except for the important one teehee. I lost the match because I had this sweet 3-9 combo on the short rail, hit it to soft, giving him game. Then I won and then he won. When I missed that first nine shot, we just laughed. I know this guy very well and I have never beaten him not even one game. I played superb, even though he won the match.

So at the end, even though I went two and out, I felt very good, I played better than I ever have. I cant wait to get to the table to get even better at shots and to learn about position. Now I am excited about apa on thurs and my next tournament.

Hope I didnt bore you with this but I was too excited to keep it to myself!!!

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-17-2003, 07:22 AM
congrats on getting out there. good to hear you shot well. i find that against strong players, you can't play as many weak safes or two way shots, you have to try to run out when you can and use defense as a last resort. my .02

Kato
03-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Good for you Laura. Stepping up is always an awful lot of fun. Wait 'till you start playing the monsters and get anchored to your chair for a few racks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been there.

Kato

PQQLK9
03-17-2003, 11:40 AM
tap...tap...tap /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif good for you...keep on trying.

ras314
03-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Been reading your posts for some time. Is time for you to reap the rewards for all the hard work you've put in!

My approach for moving up is to take on a better player, when even with him/her go for the next better. Can get expensive.

jjinfla
03-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Laura is now ready for Kier Graff.

Predator314
03-17-2003, 01:48 PM
I became a better tournament shooter by getting my butt kicked in them for a while. One thing I try to keep in mind when I'm playing a person that I know is better than me: I'm playing against the table and the layout of the table. I have no real control over what my opponent does. If I work the table against this guy/gal just like I do against anyone else, I can win.

This thought process keeps me from getting psyched out by a superior opponent.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-17-2003, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Laura is now ready for Kier Graff. <hr /></blockquote>

The stories are strikingly similar aren't they? LOL

bluewolf
03-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Who is kieff graf?

Laura

Scott Lee
03-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Laura...You should know this! LOL You posted about him mentioning my joke in his column in this month's BD!

Scott

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Laura...You should know this! LOL You posted about him mentioning my joke in his column in this month's BD!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks scott. I eagerly await your coming. Let's go for 80%. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might as well be greedy

Laura~~~~found I shoot better when I pay attention /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

LAURA

cycopath
03-18-2003, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr>One thing I try to keep in mind when I'm playing a person that I know is better than me: I'm playing against the table and the layout of the table. I have no real control over what my opponent does.<hr /></blockquote>If I'm playing a SL6 I tell myself I have to shoot like a SL6. Sometimes if helps me get in stroke. And sometimes the guy just runs out on me.

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr>One thing I try to keep in mind when I'm playing a person that I know is better than me: I'm playing against the table and the layout of the table. I have no real control over what my opponent does.<hr /></blockquote>If I'm playing a SL6 I tell myself I have to shoot like a SL6. Sometimes if helps me get in stroke. And sometimes the guy just runs out on me. <hr /></blockquote>

Makes sense. I was asking someone earlier about how a 4 plays, a 5 etc, especially in relation to things like position and breaking up clusters.

Laura

cycopath
03-18-2003, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I was asking someone earlier about how a 4 plays, a 5 etc, especially in relation to things like position and breaking up clusters.<hr /></blockquote>In my case, I'm a SL4 after 2 sessions. I'm real hot and cold. Sometimes I can run the table out, sometimes I can't even chalk my cue without screwing up.
Last night for instance my match was against a SL6 (SL7 last session) we stayed neck and neck, back and forth with games. We went hill/hill with him winning. Two of the games I lost, I was on the 8ball before him. Last week, I played against a real strong SL4 (he really should be a SL5) and I couldn't get anything to work. I lost 0-3. Much cussing was done that night.

jjinfla
03-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Laura, I suggest you pick up a copy of Steve Campana's Black Belt Billiards. It will be a great help for you in between your lessons from Scott Lee. Steve has compiled a great list of drills to improve one's game. Jake

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Laura, I suggest you pick up a copy of Steve Campana's Black Belt Billiards. It will be a great help for you in between your lessons from Scott Lee. Steve has compiled a great list of drills to improve one's game. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Jake. I will do that. Also Target will help. This is what i found out in my practice yesterday. I threw 15 balls on the table. Out of 15, I potted 10 on the first try. Then I threw out another 15. I potted 12 on the first try. Now I was shooting them in any order I wanted to, not like 8ball or 9 ball. I missed the others because I am horrible at shape and horrible at breaking up clusters.

So I will keep practicing the shots so that I will get better cuz I also cannot do the long 90degree cut for instance or some of the other 80-90 degree cuts but I heard that they were hard for good players too. I just want to start learning about position, breaking up clusters and developing some smarts about what order to shoot the balls in. I guess that will take me a long time but no time like the present to begin.

I am finding that the better I get, the more shortcomings albeit opportunities I see. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

jjinfla
03-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Well hells bells Laura, if you can make 12 -15 balls at a time there is no reason for you not to win when you play in the APA. Most 2's I know would be hard pressed to make 3 or 4 balls without missing. Learning is a never ending journey. The more you learn the more you realize that there is more to learn. What you learn today is something you didn't know yesterday. So be patient and keep practicing, and studying and then one day things will start to fall into place. Just remember, that no matter how good you get, there will always be people who are better on any give day.

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks Jake. I was beating all of the twos even before this last growth spurt. It may take awhile for my apa number to make me a higher rank but what it is about for me now is seeing if I can talk my captain into letting me play better players to have a challenge. It really does not bother me anymore if I win or not as long as I played good and am improving.

Laura

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I was asking someone earlier about how a 4 plays, a 5 etc, especially in relation to things like position and breaking up clusters.<hr /></blockquote>In my case, I'm a SL4 after 2 sessions. I'm real hot and cold. Sometimes I can run the table out, sometimes I can't even chalk my cue without screwing up.
Last night for instance my match was against a SL6 (SL7 last session) we stayed neck and neck, back and forth with games. We went hill/hill with him winning. Two of the games I lost, I was on the 8ball before him. Last week, I played against a real strong SL4 (he really should be a SL5) and I couldn't get anything to work. I lost 0-3. Much cussing was done that night.
<hr /></blockquote>

Cycopath,

I just reread this post. In your previous posts I saw you as an A player. So that is what you are, my friend. I firmly believe that if you have the drive and are willing to go to any lengths to be A, it is out there waiting for you.

I have had my down times but I believe.I am willing to take as many lessons as it takes, do as many drills, as many hours as it takes. I am not a fortune teller, so I do not know how long it will take, but that A is out there waiting for those who are willing to go to any lengths. Now for those who just want a once a week fun night out, now that is another thing.

But for you, I see an A waiting.Gosh you almost beat a sl6-7. WOW
Thanks for sharing.

Laura

cycopath
03-19-2003, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I just reread this post. In your previous posts I saw you as an A player. So that is what you are, my friend.
But for you, I see an A waiting. Gosh you almost beat a sl6-7. WOW
<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the confidence boost Laura. I feel with a few more sessions under my belts I won't be near as nervous and will be able to find that A game.

P.S. My SL2 wife just recently beat our SL7 APA League operator. Of course both times he beat himself, early 8 and scratch on the 8. But I will say she was shooting damn good. One game she was even on the 8 with him still having 4 or 5 balls on the table. She's only been playing pool seriously since we've been married, just 8 months. She amazes me how much she's improved.

Btw Laura, how many years have you been playing in APA?

jjinfla
03-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Laura, I wonder how many players you have on your team and what their SL's are. Always keep in mind that APA teams love to have 2's and 3's on their team and really don't want them to improve. So as dumb as it sounds, don't look to your teammates for help on how to improve. A team with 4 sandbagging 5's and a pretty good 2 is sitting pretty and usually gets to go to Vegas. they will play the 2 against the other team's best player and sometimes the 2 lucks out and wins when the 6 or 7 gets careless, or gets PO'd because he/she is playing a 2. Disaster strikes when one of the 5's get promoted to a 6. But just enjoy yourself. And you never, ever want to win once your team has 3 wins in the bag. Ha Ha. But you might find yourself winning (or going 20 innings) against a 6 or 7 when they have 3 in the bag. The idea being to lower his handicap and raise yours. Just too much to think about in pool. And it never ends. Jake

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I just reread this post. In your previous posts I saw you as an A player. So that is what you are, my friend.
But for you, I see an A waiting. Gosh you almost beat a sl6-7. WOW
<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the confidence boost Laura. I feel with a few more sessions under my belts I won't be near as nervous and will be able to find that A game.

P.S. My SL2 wife just recently beat our SL7 APA League operator. Of course both times he beat himself, early 8 and scratch on the 8. But I will say she was shooting damn good. One game she was even on the 8 with him still having 4 or 5 balls on the table. She's only been playing pool seriously since we've been married, just 8 months. She amazes me how much she's improved.

Btw Laura, how many years have you been playing in APA? <hr /></blockquote>

I played 2 matches 4 years ago and then moved to a place where there was no league. I came back this past summer and beginning with a lesson with scott in august and pool school with randy in oct, I have been serious for 8 months.

Sounds like you guys are doing great. My improvement has been steady but nothing to write mom about until this last couple of weeks and the cut shots clicked.

Laura

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Well hells bells Laura, if you can make 12 -15 balls at a time there is no reason for you not to win when you play in the APA. Most 2's I know would be hard pressed to make 3 or 4 balls without missing. Learning is a never ending journey. The more you learn the more you realize that there is more to learn. What you learn today is something you didn't know yesterday. So be patient and keep practicing, and studying and then one day things will start to fall into place. Just remember, that no matter how good you get, there will always be people who are better on any give day. <hr /></blockquote>

Jake, I need to make one correction here. I threw 15 balls out on the table and made 12 on the first try, but not all at once. The others I couldnt get to because they were combos or something. What seems to be happening is I will run 5-6 balls, then get into position trouble but on the total rack 12 down on the first try.

I am going out in a bit for a lesson with my apa 7 hubbie. I told him that I get into position trouble after 6 balls and in 8 ball I need to be able to do 8 so we are going out to play.

For those who think that a low skill level is not supposed to be able to run a rack, well that is what I am trying to learn to do. It is time to leave the box and reach for the stars.Plus the journey is fun.

Laura

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Laura, I wonder how many players you have on your team and what their SL's are. Always keep in mind that APA teams love to have 2's and 3's on their team and really don't want them to improve. So as dumb as it sounds, don't look to your teammates for help on how to improve. A team with 4 sandbagging 5's and a pretty good 2 is sitting pretty and usually gets to go to Vegas. they will play the 2 against the other team's best player and sometimes the 2 lucks out and wins when the 6 or 7 gets careless, or gets PO'd because he/she is playing a 2. Disaster strikes when one of the 5's get promoted to a 6. But just enjoy yourself. And you never, ever want to win once your team has 3 wins in the bag. Ha Ha. But you might find yourself winning (or going 20 innings) against a 6 or 7 when they have 3 in the bag. The idea being to lower his handicap and raise yours. Just too much to think about in pool. And it never ends. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

It is hard being on my team. Our captain does not promote sandbagging but because of the numbers, I do not get to play very much and i dont get very many opportunities to play good players.

We have 2sl 2s, 2 sl 3s, 2sl 4s, 1sl 5, and 1 sl 7.
So far I played first 3 2s and beat them. Then I was beat by a strong 3 and by a sandbagging 3. Last week I did not get to play. This week I have had my jump in potting ability so I think I will play better but after playing the four in the tournament, that is the kind of person I would like to play. Even if that person wins, at least it is a challenge of my abilities and I get to find out the things I need to work on.

Tonight my apa 7 husband gave me my first shape lesson. We played a match with the handicap being he played one handed and helped me to think through my strategy. He beat 3-2 and our average innings in all games were 4-5. Before he would let me pot any balls, I had to identify problem balls for both players and decide which cluster I could go for and how to get from one ball to another and when to play safe.
Well I think that we are going to do this several times a week so that I can have some skills as my pot skills develop by the time I reach the ability of a pool player who is typically a sl4.

Gosh there is a lot of thinking, not just running a bnch of balls like I thought. Sometimes he would say 'whaqt are you going to do' and i would say 'sink the ball'. A couple of times he took it back out of the hole and made me do it again with a slightly different eng and speed so that I could get shape. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Popcorn
03-19-2003, 09:14 PM
"It is hard being on my team. Our captain does not promote sandbagging but because of the numbers, I do not get to play very much and i dont get very many opportunities to play good players."

This being the case, what is the motivation to play on those leagues? You only get to play a very few games at the whim of the captain? That does not sound like much fun. I am dead serious, if I go to the poolroom I may match up and play for ten hours, or just practice or maybe hit some balls with someone. Being dictated to by someone running the league, like I said, just doesn't like much fun. I hear it in a lot of the posts posted on here regarding leagues. I might prefer playing by myself at the poolroom or just with friends, as well as tournaments. I am not knocking leagues, but all I ever hear is complaints about them. What is the real attraction?

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 09:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> "It is hard being on my team. Our captain does not promote sandbagging but because of the numbers, I do not get to play very much and i dont get very many opportunities to play good players."

This being the case, what is the motivation to play on those leagues? You only get to play a very few games at the whim of the captain? That does not sound like much fun. I am dead serious, if I go to the poolroom I may match up and play for ten hours, or just practice or maybe hit some balls with someone. Being dictated to by someone running the league, like I said, just doesn't like much fun. I hear it in a lot of the posts posted on here regarding leagues. I might prefer playing by myself at the poolroom or just with friends, as well as tournaments. I am not knocking leagues, but all I ever hear is complaints about them. What is the real attraction?

<hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

All good points. I made a committment to play on this team this session. After that I plan to play in the sunday tournament I played in this past sunday instead. I am just as likely to play someone who is equivalent to the sl4 I played as someone who is a sl7. The thing about that tournament is that the guy running it handicaps it based on how he sees people playing. There appears to be little politics. And it is such a friendly atmosphere and a great bunch of players: win or lose everyone has fun. I think that I will get better over time with practice and lessons.

Then there is also a very nice 9ball tournamnt on wed night with excellent players. I am hoping to eventually be good enough to play with them.

We do have our own table too so both of us play everyday and now I am getting shape lessons /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, after this season, it looks like I will not be playing apa but just local tournaments and having fun competing and getting better at pool.

Thanks.

Laura

cycopath
03-20-2003, 01:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I am going out in a bit for a lesson with my apa 7 hubbie. <hr /></blockquote>Everytime I give my wife little tips here and there she gets PO'd at me. I wish she'd understand that's how everyone learns. Shot making knowledge doesn't just suddenly come to you by way of osmosis. She acts like I shouldn't be telling her anything, and that she can just figure it out on her own.
Maybe it's my delivery. I dunno. Sigh...

By the way, our team did come in first place in our area last session. Now we are qualified for City Cup at the end of this session.

bluewolf
03-20-2003, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I am going out in a bit for a lesson with my apa 7 hubbie. <hr /></blockquote>Everytime I give my wife little tips here and there she gets PO'd at me. I wish she'd understand that's how everyone learns. Shot making knowledge doesn't just suddenly come to you by way of osmosis. She acts like I shouldn't be telling her anything, and that she can just figure it out on her own.
Maybe it's my delivery. I dunno. Sigh...

By the way, our team did come in first place in our area last session. Now we are qualified for City Cup at the end of this session. <hr /></blockquote>

Your wife seems to be acting like I was. I would not let my husband tell me anything and I would not even let him watch me. When I first married him, he made it clear that he did not think I had much talent and that the reason he wanted me on his team is because they needed cruddy women players. I thought I had ability but he did not believe in me and my last sessions captains did not either. I think that had an impact on my willingness. I also told him it was his delivery. I also think it was my own 'paranoia' and pride. You gotta remember too that women are often good at reading body language, facial expressions and voice inflections. So it is possible to say 'you are doing good' and be communicating something else nonverbally, even if you are not aware of it.

About a month or so ago, he started believing in me. He believed that I played more like a sl3, even though I was a sl2 because of the apa numbers. When I hit this surge on potting improvement, his blinders came off. To be honest, it surprised me too. I was hoping to get that kind of improvement by late august, at least that was my goal.

Anyway, now that I know that he believes in me, I was able to say hey I gotta start learning this shape thing.

Some wommen can take instruction from our husbands right away. But some like me and maybe your wife are independent, stubborn, tough minded etc. While an irritation to the husbands this is a sign of determination, imo and not bad traits in a person of any sex.

BTW congrats on your teams finish wtg.

Laura

cycopath
03-20-2003, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>But some like me and maybe your wife are independent, STUBBORN, tough minded etc. <hr /></blockquote>Yep, that's her.