PDA

View Full Version : Bank Pool

Anonamus
03-17-2003, 07:23 AM
Can anyone tell me the rules of bank pool? I believe you use 9 balls, do you bank them in numerical order? Does every shot have to be a clean bank? If you foul is it BIH?

Is there much strategy to this game?

As you can tell, I am clueless about the game so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Vagabond
03-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Is there much strategy to this game?
Yes there is lots of strategy.Yes,banks have to be clean.I recommend that u buy Billiard congress of America`s ( year 2003) rules book for 7$.They have rules on every kind of game.Cheers
Vagabond

Fred Agnir
03-17-2003, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Is there much strategy to this game?
Yes there is lots of strategy.Yes,banks have to be clean.I recommend that u buy Billiard congress of America`s ( year 2003) rules book for 7$.They have rules on every kind of game.Cheers
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>I don't think the short-rack version is in there.

Fred

Perk
03-17-2003, 09:12 AM
The way we play Bank Pool consists as follows:

1. Break from behind the stripe. Any ball pocketed on break returns on the spot or direct line behind after shooter finishes turn.
2. If a ball is pocketed, shooter continues to shoot.
3. First to bank 5 balls win the game unless spotting balls. Shooter can bank any ball on the table.
4. All banks need to be clean. No kisses, caroms, combos, or banking of the cueball.
5. Any foul, the shooter pulls a ball of theirs back up and spots it, or in the case of having 0 for score, owes one.
6. Fouls shoot where the cueball ends up, unless its a scratch, then its behind the stripe.
7. Any balls pocketed without a bank get spotted on the sport or in a direct line behind the spot.
8. As far as strategy goes, there is tons of strategy. Positioning of balls becomes a factor when balls are dead in pockets, froze in weird spots, etc.

Hope that helps.

SPetty
03-17-2003, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I don't think the short-rack version is in there. <hr /></blockquote>It's so funny, I was just reading these rules this weekend. I believe my book is the 2002 book, and it includes the short rack - the only difference being that the short rack is played with nine balls rather than 15 balls.

Anonamus
03-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Vagabond, I realize there is strategy in the game of banks. What I was really asking was some in-sight to the general strategy. You know, besides the rules, some basic ideas on how to play the game.

Thanks Perk, your 8 easy steps to Banks will get me started. You alluded to some situations that come up, like balls hanging in the pocket. Can you cover some other situations and how to play them?

Can anyone elaborate more on how the game is played when it is played well? Maybe Popcorn can help me out. BTW Popcorn, I always enjoy reading your post.

heater451
03-17-2003, 09:53 AM
I thought that the short-rack was 9 balls, and you had to make five, but the standard was a 15-ball rack, bank 9 balls. . . .

Also, if it is 5/15, is that supposed to be challenging, due to heavier 'traffic', over 9/15 (which of course requires more pocketed balls)?

=====================

SPetty
03-17-2003, 10:06 AM
hahaha - okay, so maybe there was another difference...

The way it's worded in the book is that you must get more than half of the balls to win. So, of course you're right: 5/9 or 8/15.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Accu-stats has many bank pool tapes from the DCC. You could learn some strategy from those. I have a tape of John Brumback vs. Gary Spaeth. That's a good one.

Wally~~a tad north of Kentucky

Deeman
03-17-2003, 11:52 AM
If you want to play Banks you need to learn the natural banking angles of the balls but even more importantly how to change the angle of the rebound with speed and spin. Playing position for the next bank is also a challenge as we are not used to playing for a bank except in one pocket.
By the way, one pocket is good practice for Banks as well.