PDA

View Full Version : Dinky Containers Size For Shaft Cleaners

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2003, 09:08 AM
Ok, I have not sampled very many shaft cleaners from biliard supply sources, but the jest I get is that these mainly come in what I call minature sized little bottles, smaller than most tubes of suntan lotions. Tell me, what shaft cleaner worth it's salt, comes in a size that is usefull? Thanks...sid~~~goes thru dinky sized cleaners way too fast for his wallet

Tom_In_Cincy
03-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Sid,
Another way to keep your saft clean is to wipe it down with a napkin after each use. This will help in reducing the amount of build up of hand oils and chalk.

Maybe its the Texas environment, but its easy to keep your shaft looking good, if you clean it prior to storage.

Troy
03-17-2003, 10:06 AM
I have often wondered why players pay seemingly exorbitant prices for cleaners. One is very similar to SoftScrub®; why not use SoftScrub® then. Another is alcohol based; why not use alcohol then.

I use diluted Simple Green® in a spray bottle. I also like lighter fluid. Both are reasonably priced and readily available.

Troy

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Tom...I take mine with me on those necessary pee breaks and wipe it down with the dampened hand towels, followed with a furious-like finish with a dry towel, plus I am always using my personal terry cloth towel in-between innings. Seriously, the cleanliness issue surely is not due to me. I may be too picky about what some might call normal color, I'll take the hit on that if accused. Otherwise I'm now starting to clean the shaft when I get home, lighter fluid mostly and then the serious stuff in these little, dinky bottles every week or so. It does a fair to good job, but the bottle empties quickly at my rate of recent use...sid~~~dislikes even the hint of a haze in shaft color

Yuppie
03-17-2003, 10:30 AM
I have one of those small bottle deals and seems that you really don't need much to clean the entire shaft. Use sparingly and the bottle will last months if not an entire year.

Lighter fluid? Work well? I'll have to give that a try.

Here's a question. After I got my cue, I noticed it had a glassy finish to it and after taking a scotch pad to it a couple of times, the shaft is smoother and I like the bare wood better than with the slight finish. Anyone else like things this way?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Sid,
If it makes you feel better about your equipment, by all means, keep it clean and pristine.
I can appreciate your efforts.. nothing finer than a bright new looking shaft.

Popcorn
03-17-2003, 10:47 AM
There is no big industry in formulating cue shaft cleaners. Most all are just repackaged common cleaners found any where for about one-five hundredth of the price they sell it for. I know for a fact several on the market are nothing more then Soft Scrub, (without bleach) put in their packaging. Another is an orange cleaner you can buy by the gallon for less then they get for 1/2 ounce. There are endless concoctions you can make up using stuff like Soft Scrub and common cold cream, Goop, Go Jo or any number of things.

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2003, 10:48 AM
I wondered about soft scrub! I apologize for not remembering and trying the Simple Green. You mentioned that a long time ago. Thanks! sid

Rich R.
03-17-2003, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I may be too picky about what some might call normal color, I'll take the hit on that if accused. <hr /></blockquote>
Sid, consider yourself accused. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, it is YOUR cue and I respect your right to care for it, in the manner you choose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2003, 11:10 AM
"Another is an orange cleaner you can buy by the gallon for less then they get for 1/2 ounce. "

Hmmmmm, velly interesting! Great feedback, thanks! sid

bell
03-17-2003, 07:38 PM
<font color="blue"> </font color> I have tried many shaft cleaners and am convinced we are getting ripped off and we asked for it. Bottome line,I suspect Windex or lighter fluid or even h20 will work just fine if applied often. Finish with superfine sandpaper, burnish and you are in business.

WaltVA
03-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Our local Eckerd drug store sells Ronsonol lighter fluid in a 5 oz. size for $0.99 or a 12 oz. for $1.89. Good price for a good product - I use it for a lot of other things, and 12 oz. will last me a LOOONG time.

Walt in VA

WaltVA
03-17-2003, 10:57 PM
I like the feel of bare wood, too. I usually wipe my shaft down with a clean cloth several times during a session, then burnish with a piece of leather. I find that burnishing in the hand oils seals the grain just enough and gives the shaft a nice patina. Occasionally I may clean it with a little lighter fluid on a soft cloth and then burnish, but I don't try to keep it "lily white" - just smooth and slick. I don't use abrasives unless I've had to raise the grain to repair a ding - then just a light touch with 1500 or 2000.

Walt in VA

03-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Yo Troy, you have made 20 digs in a row all negative on my posts, I'll be coming out to San Jose soon for a week, I love to talk about tips, how about a little pay back dude...
Fast Larry, throw mud on me, I throw mud back on you dude.

bell
03-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Odd, I looked up Simple Green and Windex and note they both say "not for use on wood" in the small print.

L.S. Dennis
03-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Larry,
What are the dates you plan on being out this way (the bay area)?

Popcorn
03-23-2003, 10:38 AM
That is probably a disclaimer to protect them. They would not be suitable for cleaning the top of a dresser or other furniture, but for a maple shaft doing a quick wipe, there is no problem. You can also burnish them with a piece of leather to knock down any fibers that have raised.

03-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Alright, I'll throw another curve into this whole shaft cleaning controversy. I have been using a product which no one has yet to mention and the smallest container it comes in is pints for about the same price as the one to two ounce specialty products. The product is Formby's Conditioning Furniture Refinisher. I have been using it for well over a year now on all my cues, including a Predator-2, with no ill effects. The stuff removes dirt, grime, and chalk right away. I use it after every play session and am always amazed by what accumulates on the shaft. The product will not raise the grain nor dry out the wood, and the conditioners really make the shaft feel slick. Word of caution, the product WILL remove varnish, lacquer, and shellac so be careful on old or really cheap cues. It will not harm polyurethane nor any patina which you may wish to preserve. It cleans the ferrule nicely also, but I wouldn't get too close to the tip itself. For an extra clean shaft, I occasionally use extra fine steel wool saturated with the product and then wipe-off with a clean rag. The stuff is available in Wal-Mart but be sure you get the Conditioning Furniture Refinisher because Formby's puts out several other products which could cause harm. Post a reply if anyone else tries the stuff.