PDA

View Full Version : Older cue construction

UWPoolGod
03-17-2003, 03:38 PM
I was looking at my league teammmates Original by Palmer, which he bought in the 70's, and noticed that it was not all flush smooth. Where the window on the buttcap is, from plastic to wood, it is not even. Also where the wrap to forearm and butt is raised above the wrap. I was wondering if this is just the way they were made? Or if over time the wood expanded? Now days cues have the wrap higher than the forearm...not the other way around.

Todd Speakman

Scott Lee
03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Todd...Although I am not a cuemaker (and they are better qualified to answer this than I am), I believe this is because of expansion and contraction of the wood. Plastic doesn't change with age (at least in dimension). Originally the wood parts would have been flush with the plastic, but as the finish wears off, and the cue is exposed to decades of use and/or abuse, things can change in the characteristic of the wood parts.

As far as flush pockets...Diamond has solved that problem, by creating a pocket that is screwed down flush with the rail. It is a real innovation, that I believe more companies will copy (some have already!).

Scott Lee

UWPoolGod
03-17-2003, 04:36 PM
That was what I was assuming. Another player in the area that used to learn from the guy, played with his cue 20 years ago, and he said it was smooth and flush back then. I was just wondering becuase he wants me to sell his cue on eBay, and I would need to list that as a possible flaw, or normal wear with age.

Todd Speakman

bell
03-17-2003, 07:52 PM
<font color="blue"> </font color> Scott Lee:
On the subject of older cue construction, what is your opinion of the wood screw joint. Where the screw is part of the shaft. Although a very old construction technicue, this would seem to be the ultimate "connection" between shaft and butt and is totally ignored in the new technoglogy. Any comments.

JPB
03-17-2003, 10:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bell:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> </font color> Scott Lee:
On the subject of older cue construction, what is your opinion of the wood screw joint. Where the screw is part of the shaft. Although a very old construction technicue, this would seem to be the ultimate "connection" between shaft and butt and is totally ignored in the new technoglogy. Any comments. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't agonize, just buy one. You know you want it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Thats the way billiard cues are still made.

Scott Lee
03-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Actually that technique is still being used. Ray Schuyler(sp?) Cues, in IL makes billiard cues with the wood screw in the shaft, going into a wood "female" recepticle in the butt.

Scott Lee

UWPoolGod
03-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Yeah I was in my friends bar today, looking in the back store room, and saw a dozen or so older cues. All of them with no markings, some with Made in Taiwan (probably Sears model #3 hehehe), but some of which have mother of pearl inlay work (done badly), one is a 5 piece cue with weight rings that can be removed to lower the weight. Also some of them do have the pin in the shafts, a couple with two shafts. They are all beat up, but they were all probably made in the 70's/80's. Strange that I was thinking today, after seeing the screw shafts, if there was any use to that design.

Todd Speakman

JPB
03-17-2003, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Yeah I was in my friends bar today, looking in the back store room, and saw a dozen or so older cues. All of them with no markings, some with Made in Taiwan (probably Sears model #3 hehehe), but some of which have mother of pearl inlay work (done badly), one is a 5 piece cue with weight rings that can be removed to lower the weight. Also some of them do have the pin in the shafts, a couple with two shafts. They are all beat up, but they were all probably made in the 70's/80's. Strange that I was thinking today, after seeing the screw shafts, if there was any use to that design.

Todd Speakman <hr /></blockquote>

5 piece ramen wood cues with the pin in the shaft are a totally different deal from the wood joints in good billiard cues.

UWPoolGod
03-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah I know..these cues were pieces of #$%^ anyway, and not even worthy of kindling. A guy I played pool against at college regionals shot with a nice ash snooker cue he played with when he came over from Singapore. It was pretty solid. I have never played with an actual billiards stick during 3 ball, what kind of advantages do they give? Solider hit, more english?

Todd Speakman

JPB
03-17-2003, 11:38 PM
I have never played with an actual billiards stick during 3 ball, what kind of advantages do they give? Solider hit, more english

Yes, solider and more consistency, less deflection on hard shots with a lot of english. Shaft taper and construction has a lot to do with it. But wood joint is very solid. Billiards cues are shorter, lighter and a lot stiffer than a typical pool cue.