PDA

View Full Version : The point of having spare shafts?

03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
If you don't break with your playing cue or drive it down into the felt on every shot or something like that, how else could you break a shaft and why would spare shafts be necessary?

Hopster
03-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Well for one, your tip might pop off and you have a spare handy.
Me i had a 13mm and a 12.5mm for the same cue, i would switch em around if i wasmt playing well with one. Just in the mind but sometimes it helped.
Im sure theres other reasons.

SharpCat
03-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Remember this! Not all pool tables play the same. Some tables play fast while some play slow. You can taylor shafts to suit table conditions.

I have 3 shafts for my custom cue. I have not had enough table time to get accustomed to each shaft. I'm glad I have them cause 4 weeks ago during my apa match my stick got knocked over while I was racking. The shaft immediatly came off and a different shaft went on. I was able to put on another shaft and go on about my buisness with no worries. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif For that reason alone it's nice to have a spare. The other shaft was fine no nicks or nothing.

bluewolf
03-17-2003, 09:52 PM
ditto. it is in case the tip pops off. I think it is best for the two to be exactly the smame though.if I was using a 12.5 and the tip popped and the other was a 13, i would think it would ad inconsistency in my game.

Laura

SharpCat
03-17-2003, 10:03 PM
I agree with you. All 3 of my shafts are 12mm.

qSHAFT
03-17-2003, 10:29 PM
9/10 times its for a spare tip rather than a spare shaft.

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2003, 11:35 PM
If I was not the one who installed the tip, I'd have a spare shaft in case it came off or broke down in some way. Otherwise I've become a new believer that spare shafts are far over rated, and I generally only carry one now in case I want to try a different tip. I'd get two shafts with any custom, but a bargain custom could come with only one shaft and I'd be ok with that. Believe me, I have many, many shafts from my early days of stick buying. I don't need them, they are just extra investments.

Main thing is that my tips do not fly off. I suppose that if it did I'd play with my break cue, but it ain't gonna happen..sid~~~installs a good, solid tip for himself

Hopster
03-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Well Laura, i wasnt too worried about a tip popping off but when i went bad with one i went with the other. Like i said, its in the mind. lol
Now all i have are 12.25mm,s. Took a little experimenting but im finally happy, but not to worry, when things go bad i will find something else to blame. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 05:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> If I was not the one who installed the tip, I'd have a spare shaft in case it came off or broke down in some way. Otherwise I've become a new believer that spare shafts are far over rated, and I generally only carry one now in case I want to try a different tip. I'd get two shafts with any custom, but a bargain custom could come with only one shaft and I'd be ok with that. Believe me, I have many, many shafts from my early days of stick buying. I don't need them, they are just extra investments.

Main thing is that my tips do not fly off. I suppose that if it did I'd play with my break cue, but it ain't gonna happen..sid~~~installs a good, solid tip for himself <hr /></blockquote>

2 SHAFTS came with my custom blackheart. i occasionally play with sneaky pete pred especeially if I am in a crowded place because if my bag got lifted, the blackheart is not replacable without being on a long waiting list.

when i use the sp, my bk is in my bag also and could shoot with it if i needed too. thing is i hate the tip that came on the bk.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2003, 08:07 AM
For me, I like having an extra shaft so when I send one shaft to the tip guy I don't have to change cues for a week, I just change shafts.

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Just a suggestion Bluewolf, that tip you don't like is on a break cue, correct? If so you should possibly consider putting a brown WB tip on it. The brown WB is hard for great breaks AND plays great. Just my thoughts...sid~~~has that exact combo on his BK stick

NBC-BOB
03-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Two shafts is a good idea,just in case you lose a tip or somehow get an annoying dent in one shaft.Also I think it's a good idea, to alternate between the shafts so that the tip wear, is the same, and the shafts play the same all the time.

Carlton31698
03-18-2003, 11:43 AM
I have two shafts on both of mu cues. On my main cue I keep the extra shaft in case the tip comes off of my regular shaft, and if I let someone else use my stick(does not happen much)they use the extra shaft. On my jump/break I have two shafts one a 14mm for breaking and jumping, and the other a 13mm to use when I go to a bar or a poolroom that is a little rough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
03-18-2003, 01:18 PM
A tip could come off as mentioned or have a ferrule crack or come loose. I carry a back up and a 12mm shaft just in case of golf or snooker game. The cue is to heavy but the shaft size is good for snooker.

Rod

TonyM
03-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Lol! Only an American that plays with a 13.25mm shaft would think that 12 mm is good for snooker!

In england, 10.0mm is considered "large" for snooker!

Tony
-uses a 9.75mm tip and plays snooker 5 days a week......

Rod
03-18-2003, 08:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> Lol! Only an American that plays with a 13.25mm shaft would think that 12 mm is good for snooker!

In england, 10.0mm is considered "large" for snooker!

Tony
-uses a 9.75mm tip and plays snooker 5 days a week...... <hr /></blockquote>

Well yes I am an American. I could play with the 13.25 instead. Actually the cue being to heavy is the only problem. Like I said it's just in case of golf or possibly snooker. Another cue that I use just for such games, but I rarely carry it, has a 12.5 shaft and weighs 17 oz. I've run out from the break 3 times on a 12 footer and countless 5 hole runs playing golf. Also numerous times on a 10 footer. Run over a hundred playing snooker maybe 4 times so those shafts must not be to bad. But the interesting part is I never really spent any time with the game. I only played that if there wasn't any 14-1, 9 ball or 1P. When I really could play I used the same cue for both, didn't matter. It's just where your from and what your use to, no rules on shaft size. I'm no where close to England. If I had grown up there then I imagine my shaft would be 10mm. I still don't get the mushroomed tip at about 11mm when the shaft is 10mm, probably hard to keep in shape it's so dinky. It looks like a toad stool! er ie mushroom plant. lol

Rod