PDA

View Full Version : Breaking with the BK

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 06:12 AM
I have the BK which has the hard tip it came with. I have a pred sneaky pete with a sof tip. I know the BK breaks well because I have gotten some good breaks. Recently though, I have had trouble with it slipping on the cb no matter how focussed I am and how much chalk I have on it.

I dont have this problem with the sp or the blackheart, even those are not break sticks. Would a hard sumo wb tip on the bk do the trick?

Laura

Predator314
03-18-2003, 08:06 AM
You can probably get by pretty good with a Triangle tip. They are cheap and they are my favorite tip (even though I'm currently trying a talisman on my new Predator).

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 09:51 AM
BW...your problem isn't with the tip or the chalk applied, it is in your stroke(OUCH!) Seriously, you may find it difficult to imagine but I do NOT ever apply chalk to my break cue. I began this routine a long time ago in order to get as accurate on hitting the head of the one ball as I could. If I did(do) miscue, I re-study what I did wrong and correct it. I do the same thing in an 8-ball break as well, breaking off the second ball, bridging on the long rail, still no chalk.

Something tells me you and I disagree on your stroke mechanics in general, and that's OK, I could be generally wrong especially with your game stroke. I'll stand on my opinion above though that if you are "slipping on the cb no matter how focussed I am", then you are out of stroke. Not the tip and not the chalking, just your stroke. Do I condone others not using chalk on breaks? No, but I found it valuable for myself and still NEVER use it on breaks. Main thing is that you can practice breaks w/o chalk and refine your stroke to hit and stay through the CB for a solid impact. That's all...sid~~~trusts his break stroke and fixes it when it does slip, pronto

TomBrooklyn
03-18-2003, 10:05 AM
BW and Sid:
Where do you hit the CB on your break shots. I've heard there is no need for chalk on a center ball hit.

I usually break from close to the middle of the headstring and hit the CB low to try to bring it back to the middle of the table. In eight ball, I sometimes use the second ball break which starts from near the rail and I try to put as much low inside on the CB as I can. I don't think I should forgo the chalk on either of those shots.

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 10:14 AM
I play center, with maybe a half tip top or half tip bottom from the center point, depending on where the CB is moving on that particular table, on that particular day. other than that, just plain center with varying speeds until I get things falling. I also am a creature of habit and break from the same general spot on the table as well. It is my belief that speed, not different break spots, is what finds balls hitting pockets while breaking...sid

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> BW and Sid:
Where do you hit the CB on your break shots. I've heard there is no need for chalk on a center ball hit.

I usually break from close to the middle of the headstring and hit the CB low to try to bring it back to the middle of the table. In eight ball, I sometimes use the second ball break which starts from near the rail and I try to put as much low inside on the CB as I can. I don't think I should forgo the chalk on either of those shots. <hr /></blockquote>

I hit close to the headstring and hit low. Maybe my break stroke needs working on. My other stroke seems to be doing pretty good.

Laura~~~talkin about 8ball break. 9ball one is easy

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> BW...your problem isn't with the tip or the chalk applied, it is in your stroke(OUCH!)

Something tells me you and I disagree on your stroke mechanics in general, and that's OK, I could be generally wrong especially with your game stroke. <hr /></blockquote>

Are you coming to vf, sid? Maybe you will see something about my stroke that I dont.

Laura

Flyin-Q
03-18-2003, 05:48 PM
B-W Don't really know if you want an opinion from an amateur but here goes anyway. I'm assuming the BK you have is Preds. The tip on mine I really didn't much like either at first but after I hit it with a tip pic about a thousand times it seemed to really come around. I really like it now maybe I just got used to it. I try to hit the cb about half tip below center, a shot that I suppose I wouldn't need chalk for but I'm not that brave yet I guess.

Love da Game

Flyin-Q

bluewolf
03-18-2003, 06:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Flyin-Q:</font><hr> B-W Don't really know if you want an opinion from an amateur but here goes anyway. I'm assuming the BK you have is Preds. The tip on mine I really didn't much like either at first but after I hit it with a tip pic about a thousand times it seemed to really come around. I really like it now maybe I just got used to it. I try to hit the cb about half tip below center, a shot that I suppose I wouldn't need chalk for but I'm not that brave yet I guess.

Love da Game

Flyin-Q <hr /></blockquote>

Flyin-q. Thanks. Maybe I will try not hitting so low.

Laura

SecaucusFats
03-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Work on your pre-shot routine. Line of aim, stance, stroke. Get back to basics. Get yourself one of those Buddy Hall "stroke trainer" doo-hickeys. (It works.) And while you work on that here's another good piece of advice: get an old grungy house cue and get some dumbell weights (plate type), put a 5 lb weight on the cue and practice your break mechanics. Do that every other day for a month and you'll like the results. I guarantee it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 07:14 AM
thanks.

laura