PDA

View Full Version : Gabriels Pool Table

Brady_Behrman
03-20-2002, 05:48 PM
Did anyone see the new Gabriels "Vector" Pool Table at Valley Forge. I have heard alot about it! I missed the VF show this year, Gotta new Baby due ANYDAY now!

Doctor_D
03-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Good evening:

Yes, I did see it and played on it as well. WOW, what a great table. My intentions, to purchase one as soon as I can make enough room for one.

Dr. D.

Ken
03-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Brady,
I played on it some. It looks a lot like the Diamond. I understand it is constructed somewhat differently, however. I guess it is practicaly bulletproof and looks good too.
Ken in CT

TomBrooklyn
03-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Occasional poster VinceS who recently purchased a Gabriel table took me over meet Joe Marra and show me table at VF. I wasn't aware that it was called the "Vector", though. I only took a quick look at it and got to play a few cross table shots into the 4 3/8" pockets when Mike Massey started a show next door in the Sardo booth which diverted our attention; but I was able to develop some impressions in the few minutes we were there.

The table has very nice looking rails and skirt. The legs, if I recall correctly, were black cylinders about 12" in diameter, and seemed a bit plain compared to the upper parts, but quite solid. The end legs may have been connected with a solid piece of some material.

The rails on the show model, which I believe come standard and are recommended for commercial use, were made from birch wood (birch plywood?) impregnated with a phenolic resin that they call "diamondwood". This confused me momentarily because I think there is a type of wood known as diamondwood. It is a lovely dark brown with a nicely contrasting strong black grain and they were smooth and highly polished. Joe claims that they are virtually scratch resistant and won't take a burn even from a cigarette. They are certainly way more attractive than plastic laminate (Formica (tm).) I believe a selection of other woods are available also. I don't know if they are all impregnated with the phenolic. The fit and finish was very nice including around the pockets, which were leather trimmed drop pockets capable of holding about 10 balls I'd guess. This was a refreshing contrast from the sloppy fitting metal trim on Gold Crown IVs.

On the underside, the frame is a rectangle with about three cross members. All the pieces look to be about 4" x 4" x 1/4" steel and it is fully welded into one piece. The two long frame members are reinforced with a steel cable of about 1/4" diameter that attaches at each corner and is held away downward from the center of the beam by a steel post to form a cable truss, and it may have a turnbuckle, though I can't remember seeing one. All the steel is painted gray and seemed to be scratch free.

Apparently the cable truss is something that Gabriel wasn't using until recently. Also, the frame can be cut and fitted with pins and bolts for installation in places where the one-piece frame wouldn't fit. VinceS had this done and reports it's reattached as solid as a rock.

I only took a few shots on it, but they had a nice feel and the small pockets seemed to accept my offerings without undue problem.

Overall I thought it a solid table, and certainly more attractive than a Gold Crown, especially for a residential installation which is how I would be considering it. If the price was anywhere around that of a Gold Crown, I don't think Brunswick would have much chance of getting my business.

03-20-2002, 09:41 PM
Tom in Brooklyn's post regarding the Vector is quite informative and accurate. Actually Gabriel's had the Signature Pro Model set up in their booth on Friday due to a delay in the shipment of the Vector model, but the Vector was set up late Friday night for the remainder of the show.

The biggest advantage of the Vector model is the uniquely patented double cable system - which torques the welded steel frame to perfect levelness at first installation - and anytime after that if needed. The real advantage IMO is how this will prevent sagging and settling of the frame and slates years down the road due to gravity - as is the case with all other tables that eventually require shims, wedges, etc. to keep perfectly level.

Tierry Gabriels (the table's designer) and Joe Marra (the exclusive US distributor of the Gabriel's) are both first class gentleman and I enjoyed spending time with them throughout the show. I am extremely picky when it comes to table specs, pocket opening measurements, pocket taper angles, shelf depth, etc., etc. Both gentleman were accommodating to my every little detail and desire, as well as answering any questions and offering their expertise opinions.

Before the show, my mind had been made up to order Gabriel's Signature Pro model tables for our existing room here, (as I've had one here for 3 months and am extremely pleased with it) and I was headed to Valley Forge just to close the deal. I've since decided to swith to the Vector model - and have been guaranteed by both gentleman that I won't regret it.

Myself and Tom Karabatsos (opening a beautiful new room in the Chicago area) will likely be the first two rooms in the country to feature the Gabriel's Vector table. I'm hoping to have them here by mid-late summer. - Chris in NC

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Chris,

Any idea of the home retail cost of this Gem?

03-21-2002, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Chris,

Any idea of the home retail cost of this Gem?
<hr></blockquote>

I'm not Chris, but I believe they told me $6,500.

Gideon

03-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Multiple web searches for Gabriels turned up NOTHING useful or related to tables. Has anyone seen anything on the web regarding these products?

Joe Marra
03-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Our new web site is under construction. We have a photo site at http://communities.msn.com/excelbilliards