PDA

View Full Version : Donuts=Sardo effect

Stan Shuffett
03-18-2003, 07:19 AM
During practice, about a week ago, curiosity got the best of me. I had been using the little paper hole reinforcers(donuts)for practice and I had the thought of using them as positioners for an entire rack of 9-ball. I very quickly obtained a perfect looking rack. I was not thinking this would lead to anything other than just a trial. Well, I have been using them for a week now and I have never been happier with breaking the balls for practice at home. I discovered these things:

1. No need for a rack 2. the balls break great 3. the 9-ball remains near its racking position 4. Sardo effect
5. I see no real effect of the donuts on the balls during game situations 6. consistent feedback during breaking practice
7.prevents some wear on cloth at racking area 8. easy to change or adjust when needed

I would not be adverse to using the donuts in competition. The consistent easy positioning of the balls allows for a perfect rack. The trade-off for the near zero effect of the donuts on the cloth outweighs all the negatives that go with imperfect racks that are inevitable with a worn cloth. The donuts can be colored to match the cloth. Anyway, the curiosity that killed the cat, allowed me to discover a way of racking that has put the fun back into breaking for me.
I hope some of you can give this a try to see if you find any merit to having donuts on your table during play. Any feedback that you could share would be gratefully appreciated.

Stan Shuffett

Leviathan
03-18-2003, 07:53 AM
Stan:

Very interesting. Do you use a donut for each ball or only for selected balls? Do you use both a paste-on spot protector and a donut at the headball position, or what? What kind of fabric do you have on your table? I'm wondering whether I could get my local PH owner to try putting a donut just on my favorite table's spot protector.

Thanks for the info.

--D.M.

Stan Shuffett
03-18-2003, 08:33 AM
I use donuts for each ball and there is one on the paste-on spot. I have 860 Simonis cloth.