PDA

View Full Version : Full text: Robin Cook speech

nAz
03-18-2003, 08:01 AM
long article but really worth the read.

heres an excerpt... on Robin Cook, former UK foreign secretary and leader of the House of Commons, made an impassioned personal statement in parliament following his resignation on Monday.

"Iraq probably has no weapons of mass destruction in the commonly understood sense of the term—namely a credible device capable of being delivered against a strategic city target. It probably still has biological toxins and battlefield chemical munitions, but it has had them since the 1980s when US companies sold Saddam anthrax agents and the then British Government approved chemical and munitions factories. Why is it now so urgent that we should take military action to disarm a military capacity that has been there for 20 years, and which we helped to create? Why is it necessary to resort to war this week, while Saddam's ambition to complete his weapons programme is blocked by the presence of UN inspectors?

Only a couple of weeks ago, Hans Blix told the Security Council that the key remaining disarmament tasks could be completed within months. I have heard it said that Iraq has had not months but 12 years in which to complete disarmament, and that our patience is exhausted. Yet it is more than 30 years since resolution 242 called on Israel to withdraw from the occupied territories. We do not express the same impatience with the persistent refusal of Israel to comply. I welcome the strong personal commitment that the Prime Minister has given to middle east peace, but Britain's positive role in the middle east does not redress the strong sense of injustice throughout the Muslim world at what it sees as one rule for the allies of the US and another rule for the rest."

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2003, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
....Why is it now so urgent that we should take military action to disarm a military capacity that has been there for 20 years, and which we helped to create? Why is it necessary to resort to war this week, while Saddam's ambition to complete his weapons programme is blocked by the presence of UN inspectors?

<hr /></blockquote>

Yo nAz,

Remember watching those buildings fall down? Well we don't want that to happen again. So Robin Cook and Saddam can kiss the USA's collective a$$

JMHO

Leviathan
03-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Saddam has awakened a sleeping piss-ant and filled him with a stupid resolve (Paraphrase of Admiral Yamamoto's comment following the attack on Pearl Harbor).

--D.M.

TomBrooklyn
03-18-2003, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Yo nAz,Remember watching those buildings fall down? Well we don't want that to happen again. So Robin Cook and Saddam can kiss the USA's collective a$$ <hr /></blockquote>The thing about that is I have only heard vague allusions to Iraq supporting terrorism directed at the USA. If there was some substantiated proof of these allegations, I, and probably the rest of the world, would be much more supportive of this military action. Right now, it sounds like these terrorism accusations are being made up to provide additional justification for this military action. And creating a sense of rightous indignation amongst ones potential enemies is generally not a good idea.

SpiderMan
03-18-2003, 10:46 AM
We should jump on Saddam's ass in 24 hours (not 48) to maximize surprise. Robin Cook's a dork. But he's right about the Israel thing.

SpiderMan

eg8r
03-18-2003, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it necessary to resort to war this week, while Saddam's ambition to complete his weapons programme is blocked by the presence of UN inspectors? <hr /></blockquote> I find this pretty funny. I hardly think they are blocked from doing anything. Heck, in Blix's report, he states the Iraqi soldiers were posing for the reporters in front of an unmanned air vehicle. That vehicle is illegal based on Saddams agreement to disarm.

eg8r

eg8r
03-18-2003, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If there was some substantiated proof of these allegations, I, and probably the rest of the world, would be much more supportive of this military action. Right now, it sounds like these terrorism accusations are being made up to provide additional justification for this military action. <hr /></blockquote> I don't have any additional concrete evidence myself but a search on the net might provide some help. I don't know that the evidence they have directly relates any of Saddams terrorist ties directly to the action that happened on 9/11. I think the evidence is tied to the organization as a whole. It is widespread knowledge that Saddam provides money, shelter, and training facilities to Al Qaeda. It was even big news a few weeks or months before 9/11 that one of the top Al Qaeda officials was meeting with Iraqs defense minister (or whatever the Iraqi title is) in Iraq. If Iraq was anti-Al Qaeda do you really think this would have happened.

I have said this before, the terrorist side of the coming war with Iraq is only ONE of the battles. The main reason is disarmament, the others take care of themselves.

Tom, I still think it is funny that you believe the Iraqis do not want liberty and are truly happy with the way things are right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2003, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>

The thing about that is I have only heard vague allusions to Iraq supporting terrorism directed at the USA. If there was some substantiated proof of these allegations, I, and probably the rest of the world, would be much more supportive of this military action. Right now, it sounds like these terrorism accusations are being made up to provide additional justification for this military action. And creating a sense of rightous indignation amongst ones potential enemies is generally not a good idea. <hr /></blockquote>

Where Saddam is concerned, patience is suicide. IMHO

I think after Sept. 11 Bush vowed to himself to do everything he could to make sure nothing like that ever happened again. After all, he is a grownup, as opposed to the previous occupant of the White House.

Tom, did you see "Sum of all Fears" ?

nAz
03-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Wally the movie scared the sh*t out of me when that bomb went off.
you know i believe that this country is way more likely to get attacked in the months and years after we invade Iraq, especialy if mant civilians die over there.
oh well like it was said before now that it will start everyone should stand as one till it is over, and if they like they use their freedom to vote and change this Goverment next election other wise don't bitch /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-18-2003, 10:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> It is widespread knowledge that Saddam provides money, shelter, and training facilities to Al Qaeda. <hr /></blockquote>It is? I an not aware of that. I have not heard the President, any Government officials, or any responsible news reporters say that Iraq has helped al Quada. I have only heard the President make vague allusions to terrorist ties.

03-20-2003, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is widespread knowledge that Saddam provides money, shelter, and training facilities to Al Qaeda. <hr /></blockquote>

I challenge you to find any documented evidence of this.