PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your cue to the bar?

Yuppie
03-18-2003, 09:52 AM
I was just wondering if others take their cue's to the bar. There's this bar just down the street from my house with a new bar box and a decent playing area. It's a neighborhood bar but I feel like I'd be going overboard if I took my cue in.

Predator314
03-18-2003, 10:00 AM
I never take my cue into a bar. I don't seriously in bars though. I used to try to take the drunks' beer money, but that was easy enough when using a house cue.

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 10:07 AM
I do two things. First, I have a utility sneaky pete or two that I use for the bars instead of using the inlaid gear. I also have a plain jane case, usually a soft case that I carry in. On top of that I usually leave it in the car until I think I have a somewhat valid opponent instead of somebody's drunk GF to play.

I'd feel strange to some degree to NOT have a personal cue along, at least in the car outside...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2003, 10:14 AM
People might look at you funny I guess /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. If you do you better beat everybody /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

If it's a new table they probably have new house cues. That'll do for now. Take a tip scuffer and some good chalk if necessary.

Maybe in the future take in a sneaky pete wrapped up with a rubber band instead of a case /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Around here there's league play in most bars so it's not unusual at all for folks to bring in their cues.

Deeman
03-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Leave it in the car (truck if in the free States) until you see what you need. Play with the house sticks until you see another stick belonging to a real shooter come in a perform. The advice of taking the cue rougher and your own chalk is the most valuable advice I have seen.

In Detroit, I beat up a nice one-piece cue I had bought (straight and good hitting) and left it behind the bar. Of course, I was known there very well by the bar owner. That might get you hurt in a strange place (as if Detroit is not a strange place!).

SpiderMan
03-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, I take my cue if I go there planning to play. Most of the bars in this area (Dallas) host leagues several nights a week, so there are lots of shooters with their own sticks.

SpiderMan

cheesemouse
03-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Yuppie,
If bar pool is the predominate place the game is played in your area( as oppossed to pool halls) then don't feel uncomfortable at all, you will find all the serious players take their cues wherever they go. After all why did you go in the bar in the first place???

Vince S.
03-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Yuppie,

I tend to agree with Wally. If it's league night, that's fine, but otherwise leave it at home and use the bar sticks. If it's a bar you go to often, you should know the quality of their sticks. If the sticks are beat then bring a scuffer and good chalk, if they're in good shape then all the better. You'll only need to use the scuffer/shaper once when you start shooting, then tuck it away. So even that wont be too suspicious looking.

Vince S.

TomBrooklyn
03-18-2003, 10:40 AM
A piece of 320 grit sandpaper will help tremendously to smooth the shaft out quick also. It won't make it perfect, but it will help it a lot. I don't think anyone would sand a good shaft with such a rough grit, but on a bar cue, generally no one will care.

I usually leave a sneaky pete in my vehicle and bring it into the bars I occassionally go in, although I'm about the only one with my own stick. If I was trying to hide my speed I'd use a house cue if thats all everyone else is using.

Popcorn
03-18-2003, 10:55 AM
I think currently it is not that unusual to have your own cue. At one time it was a sign of a player, but not anymore. Remember the line in movie The Hustler, "I don't hustle players who come into poolrooms with leather satchels." Today everybody has a cue whether they can play or not. I used to carry an inexpensive Palmer cue that I kept nice. The sneaky pete cue is a giveaway and not worth carrying anymore. A nice cue, but not what a player would be associated with is best.

Rod
03-18-2003, 11:14 AM
You could go in and always go back out later and get your cue. If you frequent the place I'd think it to be natural to have your cue. That is unless your laying down for a big score. lol

I take mine in if I know I am going to play. It may not be my regular cue though.

Rod

wolfsburg2
03-18-2003, 12:07 PM
i take mine every time. i play to win, and don't gamble much so i don't care how it looks to other people.

=k=
03-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Rod i am in phoenix also, i wouldn't leave my cue in truck for even an hour in summer... unless i was wanting to shoot around corners.. taking no chances on warping cue.. but on other hand we have so many good pool halls, why play on a bar table..

9 Ball Girl
03-18-2003, 12:42 PM
The only time I've brought my cues into a bar was during league night. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Especially if you're looking to play for some $$$, you might scare off some people if they see you have your own cue. I just use whatever house cue is available. That'll save you from hearing things like, "you beat me 'cause you have your own cue." /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rod
03-18-2003, 01:11 PM
K
Yes the heat is pretty brutal but my reference to bars was more night time related, should have mentioned that. I do however have a small blanket that I wrap around the case but not leaving it there is best. Open bar table tournaments come up like Pappy's, haven't been there for a while. Actually there was a few open bar table tourneys. I play most on 9 footers though.

Rod

UWPoolGod
03-18-2003, 03:05 PM
There are three local bars in my area that I frequent. Any more I take my cues in with me because I have been spotted anyways, so I might as well play the part. But last night...one that I did not bring my cues and used a house cue, a strange guy came in being loud and obnoxious, and possibly playing for money. What happens?!? I get ratted out by my old baseball coach as a good player, and he scares the money back into the guys pocket. Of course I had to set my friend straight later on about being a spy. Oh well, my Dad does the same thing.

Todd Speakman

cycopath
03-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Check out this Budweiser cue that Proficient Billiards did. This would be perfect for a bar. It would be very unsuspecting. Of course some of the rednecks around here would probably still think, "Damn that guy has a nice poolstick, he must be real good".
http://www.proficientbilliards.com/examples/budweisercue.htm

Kato
03-18-2003, 03:38 PM
A buddy of mine scored a Miller butt, stuck a Dennis Searing shaft on it. Darn thing hits like a dream. It's the ultimate bar car.

Kato

03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I carry in a sneak pete, broken down, no case. I also bring in a piece of chalk. Going out, the cue butt can be a nice piece of insurance in the parking lot, you get into your car OK. That is why no case. Fast Larry Guninger

SharpCat
03-18-2003, 05:43 PM
I always take my custom cue with me. The bar I play in has league 3 days a week. Plus it's usually the same people in there.

03-18-2003, 06:51 PM
i think the opposite of most, bring the best damn cue you (or a friend) own into a bar, put on a white button down shirt and a pair of slacks. if anybody asks you how you play say you play great, and can probably beat anybody in the place. hard to get in trouble that way.