PDA

View Full Version : A Shaft Sealer

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 10:35 AM
I noticed that I routed out pores in a shaft I own after looking at it with an eye loupe, and I need to get a quick suggestion on a sealer for it. Thanks...sid

SPetty
03-18-2003, 11:42 AM
hahaha - just use what the rest of us use... hand oils, sweat and chalk dust!

hahaha - couldn't resist... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 12:28 PM
"hand oils, sweat and chalk dust!"

Sounds like sex on the pool table again! Dam that slate it hard in all the wrong places...sid~~~ain't even gonna mention where the chalk dust find it's "home"

03-18-2003, 12:34 PM
This is why I wear a glove, now I dont have to worry about this. Fast Larry

SpiderMan
03-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Sid,

I hear that if you use "Camel" chalk it will fill the pores without being noticeable. Not sure where to find that Camel chalk, though.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Yea, and if I can find one of Fast's magic gloves all of my problems will be solved! ;-) sid

TonyMN
03-18-2003, 04:58 PM
I was recommended to use caranuba wax, from your local automotive store.

Tony.

Popcorn
03-18-2003, 05:02 PM
What are you trying to accomplish? You can use some sanding sealer or something like Bulls Eye shellac. Just wipe it on and sand it off. Some will have found it's way into the pores and leave the shaft smooth. If you like to clean your cue with alcohol don't use shellac, it is removed with alcohol. A lot of cuemakers like to use Nelsonite. It only cost about $60.00 for 5 gallons. Don't buy it from a reseller that just pores it into small containers and jacks up the price. Barringer tries to sell it for $15.00 for a quart. Split a 5 gallon can with some friends and you will have enough for years.

Nelsonite Chemical Products, Inc.

2320-T Oak Industrial Dr.
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
USA
Tel: 616-456-7098
Fax: 616-456-6632

TonyM
03-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Why are you so obssesed with this Sid?

Wood has pores. Big deal.

Imo, this obsession with a clean shaft and the ultimate sealer is wrong headed.

I think that if this is where you are placing your priorities, then you need a new set of priorities!

Seriously, you have got to get beyond this.

I've mentioned many times before that I advocate and recommend no sealer, just bare wood. I allow the natural hand oils to seal, condition and create a patina that keeps the surface of the shaft at a consistent friction level.

And guess what? That's what most of the pros do as well!

I wipe the shaft down with a mild solvent after play (alcohol or lighter fluid) and my shafts stay in perfacet playing shape with no added work.

And the lack of a sealer means that I can easily remove any small dents or nicks without having to remove the sealer.

Any sealer you add will just quicken the shaft stickiness problem and lead to more frequent hand washings and possibly the use of powder.

For what?

For a nice white shaft?

Forget about it!

For crying uot loud get a new case, get rid of your obsession and get on with playing the game!

Tony
-enough said....

TonyM
03-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Nelsonite is a "wood stabilizer" and is not intended as a final sealer.

Just thought you would like to know.

Many cuemakers remove the last layer of Nelsonite before finishing the shaft.

Tony
-Mr. no sealer...

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks Tony...sid

cheesemouse
03-18-2003, 06:30 PM
HHaaaaaaaaHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa......LOL.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.....I love it.....gotta go with Tony and add one thing.......HIT MORE BALLS.....HEHEHE

Sid_Vicious
03-18-2003, 06:37 PM
I see other players who have 2+ year old shafts which are still maintained like new, and after buying a cue retailed(even though rediculous as it is) $2500, I'd like to keep the new shafts like those players who have succeeded in keeping theirs pristene for years. What's wrong with that obsession anyway? sid

Popcorn
03-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Quite a few cuemakers mention it on their websites. If it has soaked into the wood and is sanded, you never sand through it. Would it not be considered as a sealer since it is always there? Do you apply something over it, or just leave it as is?

03-19-2003, 01:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> hahaha - just use what the rest of us use... hand oils, sweat and chalk dust!

hahaha - couldn't resist... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

....and beer. you forgot to mention beer.

dan

03-19-2003, 01:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> Why are you so obssesed with this Sid?

Wood has pores. Big deal.

Imo, this obsession with a clean shaft and the ultimate sealer is wrong headed.

I think that if this is where you are placing your priorities, then you need a new set of priorities!

Seriously, you have got to get beyond this.

I've mentioned many times before that I advocate and recommend no sealer, just bare wood. I allow the natural hand oils to seal, condition and create a patina that keeps the surface of the shaft at a consistent friction level.

And guess what? That's what most of the pros do as well!

I wipe the shaft down with a mild solvent after play (alcohol or lighter fluid) and my shafts stay in perfacet playing shape with no added work.

And the lack of a sealer means that I can easily remove any small dents or nicks without having to remove the sealer.

Any sealer you add will just quicken the shaft stickiness problem and lead to more frequent hand washings and possibly the use of powder.

For what?

For a nice white shaft?

Forget about it!

For crying uot loud get a new case, get rid of your obsession and get on with playing the game!

Tony
-enough said.... <hr /></blockquote>

tony? you've been around here this long and you're not used to sid being obsessed?

i do agree tho that sealing the shaft in any meaningful way just makes it harder to fix the dings etc that are going to acumulate. i swear i take perfect care of my shafts but late at light, after i go to sleep, elves sneak in here and beat my shafts with tire chains. i'd hate to have to get thru a sealer to puff the shaft back up.

so how do some guys keep their shafts looking like new???

my cue dr. uses just a little bleach with the dishsoap for cleaning. then carnuba wax.

dan

Rod
03-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Yep there in there. That's why wood is porous, well at least one reason. You know I don't need that clean white shaft. But today I decided to experiment a little. I used some soft scrub. That stuff is terrible and the residue it leaves in the grain. Ok damp cloth and wiped it off. Next I gave it my yearly or so, lol finish with 2000 while I spun it in our tool. I then used orange glow wood cleaner and polish. It cleaned even more chalk from the shaft. It actually amazed me how much it did clean. I had to stop the dam thing was just getting to clean! It did give the shaft a darker color than bare wood. It polished up fine and back in the case. Note this was a rare one, it normally just gets wiped off with denatured alcohol. Heck I even cleaned the wrap with some alcohol. It's going to feel a little to spiffy the next time I play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As a foot note it would take some wood sealer, more than one coat or some serious coats of wax to fill in the exposed grain. I ain't going there.

Rod

Rich R.
03-19-2003, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I see other players who have 2+ year old shafts which are still maintained like new, and after buying a cue retailed(even though rediculous as it is) $2500, I'd like to keep the new shafts like those players who have succeeded in keeping theirs pristene for years. What's wrong with that obsession anyway? sid <hr /></blockquote>
Please don't take this in the smart a$$ way it probably sounds, but why don't you ask these players how they keep their shafts looking new?

BTW, I agree with Tony. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2003, 07:21 AM
One player is rotten in how he keeps from dirtying his equipment, so I figure it is some kind of miracle sealer, btw his cue maker won't give it up. By all rights his shaftwood should be near black, but it is not. My other main local source has dissappeared on business for months, hence I thought I could get amiable and friendly answers from this bunch...not always the case these days, but it does enlighten me to some people's true personas...sid

John G
03-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Popcorn,It permeates the wood near completely. You can still smell the stuff when your cutting the final cut ( approx .850 x .520 ) from a 1.000 dowel. It does not sand off, ever. It does change the composition of the wood slightly (harder) and no, you don't have to put anything over it. As Tony said, it is a stabilizer not a sealer. John G

John G
03-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Sid, There are some good water bourne sanding sealers that will work reasonable well. I've found the best way is to burnish the shaft on a lathe with a clean natural piece of leather until shiny. THen apply a small amount of carnuba wax and polish untill the shaft gets warm and shiny again ( this will remove all residual surface wax ). Finally of course wipe the shaft down with a damp clean cloth after each use followed by a dry cloth. Good Luck John G /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
03-19-2003, 04:54 PM
What is the solvent (carrier) for Nelsonite? Is it water-based, mineral spirits, or something else?

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-19-2003, 04:58 PM
That's pretty close to my procedure. I use the KarSeal brand of cue wax, which is pure carnauba. When I wash my hands, I use the last (only slightly damp) paper towel to wipe down the shaft, then a quick burnish with a dry one.

SpiderMan

John G
03-19-2003, 09:20 PM
SpiderMan, It's a resin solution. Very flamable and quite toxic. Has a very strong odor (stinky /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) both liquid form and saturated in wood. Unless you're trying to use your wood to quickly or you need to stablize because of excessive temp and/or humidity changes, I would'nt reccommend it for shafts. It will make them stiffer. John G

Rich R.
03-20-2003, 05:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I thought I could get amiable and friendly answers from this bunch...not always the case these days, but it does enlighten me to some people's true personas...sid <hr /></blockquote>
First of all, I don't think you should take anything, said on this board, personally. It is not worth the time and effort.

Next, I think you will get some good information from some posters. You have to pick and chose which information to follow.

Lastly, I believe the main problem is, most of us do not have the desire to keep our shafts as pristine looking as you. Most of us are happy to have a smooth, good playing, shaft. A little discoloration does not bother us. But that is a personal choice.

Again, do not take any of this personal. I am just giving you my opinions. The final choice on how to care for your cue shafts is yours.