PDA

View Full Version : It's March Madness Baby (long winded)

Kato
03-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Well, it's my favorite time of the year, the NCAA men's basketball tournament. As a Maryland fan it pains me to say that although my Terps will make the Sweet 16 and I believe the Elite 8 (Digger has them in the Final 4) I'm going to go with the team I think has played the best ball for about 2 months now, the Kentucky Wildcats.

In the Midwest I think Marquette is a vastly underrated as a 3 seed and will give Kentucky all they want in the Elite 8. This is a nice region with my boy Rick Majeris and the runnin' Utes, the Big 10 champ Wisconsin, a nice Dayton Flyer's team, a very tough Mizzo team (13-1 at home this year though not a good road team), a team ranked #1 at the beginning of the season in Alabama, and a very tough Pitt team. Although there will be great matchups (I recommend Alabama/Pitt and Mizzo/Marquette in the second round) Kentucky wins this bracket by wearing Marquette down with the most insane defense ever (Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell with those fantastic Arkansas teams didn't do it like this).

The West Regional top four seeds is brutal. Arizona, Kansas, Duke, and Illinois are all legitimate Final 4 teams. Creighton is a nice team to watch and their proposed second round game against Duke could a classic. Notre Dame is a paper team that bows out in the second round. I just love Illinois coming out of this bracket. They under acheived all year but now it's time for them to shine. Sadly, Roy Williams has to wait another year in Kansas. I think he's the best coach in the country but won't get it done here. Illinois run ends though playing Kentucky in a game I can't wait to see.

In the South region Texas is the chalk. The backcourt of Mounton and Ford will run the gammit here. Florida will get bitch slapped by Maryland in the Sweet 16 to become the only team to make it to the Elite 8 3 consecutive years. Sadly, Texas will match Maryland's power inside and Blake and Nicholas will not be able to match up with Texas's guard tandem.

The East Region shows a nice chalk team in Oklahoma (Price is the man) an overrated Wake Forest team and my 2 sleepers, Syracuse and Miss St. I do like the chalk here in Oklahoma though I think for all intents and purposes that Syracuse will stretch them and I wouldn't actually be suprised to see Syracuse in the Final 4. A terrific matchup (again) of T.J. Ford of Texas and Hollis Price of Oklahoma ensuses with Texas winning this out.

Texas/Kentucky is a wonderful matchup. I just think KU has a little too much for Texas though if anyone can match up with Kentucky it is the Horns.

So here is my prediction.

Final 4: Kentucky, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma
Final 2: Kentucky, Texas
Final: Kentucky

Just my opinion

Kato

eg8r
03-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Wow, I am getting hit from two sides at once. LOL
[ QUOTE ]
Florida will get bitch slapped by Maryland <hr /></blockquote> My boss is a Maryland grad and he has the same point of view. The only thing Maryland does right is college basketball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think it will be a fun game to watch.

I also believe Kentucky will win it all. I have to disagree with your choice in coaching favorites. Coach K is the top. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like watching Duke and they were my favorite team in all the land until I went to college. My aunt is a Duke grad so I always rooted for them. While still a bigger Duke fan than UF fan, I would still like UF to rise up another level and give Duke, Maryland, Arizona and company more of a game.

eg8r

snipershot
03-19-2003, 05:49 PM
You read my mind, I think Kentucky is gonna win it against Arizona in the finals. I think their defense will stop everybody. Illnois is really good and I think Syracuse is a good sleeper.

Go Kentucky!

Perk
03-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Arizona would have to play Kentucky in the final four...:) My vote is Kentucky over Oklahoma in finals.

Kato
03-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Go 'Zags!!!!!!

Kato

snipershot
03-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Yes they would have to play Arizona in the Final Four, I think it would be an awesome matchup and interesting to see if Kentuckys sick defense could stop Arizonas offense. I think they would, they almost never make a mistake on defense and they play good team defense not just one on one defense. Hopefully Kentucky wins it though, I've got alot of bets made as to who will win it.

eg8r
03-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Well Kato the Zags just exited. What a great game to watch. Double overtime and a missed final shot. LOL This is what makes college ball so much better than the pros. These guys played their hearts out to the very end.

Congrats to the Gonzaga team for a wonderful game and good luck next year.

eg8r

Kato
03-23-2003, 09:09 PM
In case anybody didn't notice Maryland finally forced their game on somebody, beating on a very good Xavier team. I don't know, Michigan St. will be tough in the next round. Tom Izzo has the best tournament winning percentage of all time, even better than Coach K (though not as many wins certainly). You are right though Eg, the Zag's played as hard as anyone. They are no underdog anymore.

Kato

BillyRinNC
03-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Look out for Duke, Marquette, Maryland, Syracuse they may surprizeeeeeeeee you all. Coach K has a whole week- look out!
Best coach in country at developing young teams.
BillyR in NC

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 06:20 AM
There are always surprises. Dont be too sure of anything.

Laura

Ralph S.
03-24-2003, 06:51 AM
No buts about it, so far the best game has to have been Gonzaga/Arizona. Talk about a barn burner. Double OT and the #1 seed damn near knocked off......

Kato
03-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Boy are you right about that Ralph. Unfortunately, here in South Florida they only showed the 2 overtimes. Wow, was that exciting. How about this for a matchup of powerhouses? Duke/Kansas in the Sweet 16. That is a Final 4 matchup!!!!!! Can't wait. Remember though, Coach K gets a week for Kansas but Roy Williams is a jam up coach and he gets a week for Duke. It looks to me like Maryland finally put it into overdrive and Wow!!!!!! is Florida a disappointment as well as Louisville and Illinois.

Kato~~~rooting on my Terps and hoping I'm not the only one in my pool with bracket problems (losing a Final 4 team in the second round is not a recipe for taking the $$$$$).

snipershot
03-24-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm still rooting for Kentucky, they pretty much owned Utah and they play Wisconsin next which I would expect them to beat as well, their defense is just too good.