PDA

View Full Version : Grady Mathews quit Accu-Stats

03-18-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure how many of you know this, but Grady Mathews is not doing commentary for Pat Flemming and Accu-Stats any longer. To the best of my knowledge this is due to the fact that Pat Flemming did not invite Grady to do commentary on a big TV match, insted using Sigel, Cardona and Wetch (I think those were the three). This offended Grady, who has been doing sparkling Accu-Stat commentary for years. Although I think the world of Pat, I would encourage all who love Mr. Mathews' commentary to call, write (a real letter supposedly carries the same weight as 5 phone calls) or email Pat Flemming and tell him how unhappy you are about this, and that he needs to do what it takes to get Grady back. I personally won't buy another tape until he's reinstated.

Thanks for listening.

cueball1950
03-18-2003, 08:42 PM
this was posted earlier. Grady quit after the U S OPEN last year in Virginia. It was explained to Grady by people on here that he should have known before the tournament started, since the announcers were announced in the media weeks before the tournament. It was for the great pay per view of the OPEN. I thought the announcers they had did a lousy job anyway. Especially in the interviews. All they could think of to ask Alex was something about a tournament he won a year before in Chelmsford, Mass. Grady may have done a better job but like I said. He should have known since it had been announced. As far as sending emails to Pat Fleming or writing letters to him to complain. Remember this. Grady quit. He was not fired and does anyone exactly know who had the final say in who the announcers were to be. I don't think anyone ever explored that aspect of it. And you may be jumping on Pat for something he had no say in..............Just my humble thoughts,,,,,,,,,Mike

Vicki
03-19-2003, 08:55 AM
While I appreciate that a lot of people like Grady's commentary - he certainly is colorful - I also appreciate that most of the folks on this and other forums have a minor tendancy to take their stands on issues that they are slightly mis-informed about and oft times completely wrong about.

Grady and the entire rest of the pool political community knew several weeks - maybe months - before the US Open that Grady was not doing the commentary for the PPV. When it got down to the 11th hour and still Grady was not going to be doing the commentary he bust into a meeting between the powers-that-be at Accustats and announced he was quitting. Then he made a big stink all over the forums about it and now it's very old news.

If you don't want to buy Accustats videos because of a choice that Grady made, well, you be my guest. But do so knowing that it was totally his choice to quit, that he was never led to believe he would be working the PPV US Open, that he probably DID know and at least should have known he was not working that event, and that he handled the aftermath in a very unprofessional way (in my opinion) by talking about it with strangers/Accustats customers in public forums. Not a stand-up move in my book.

Accustats makes a great product and is a company that is doing everything possible to produce a better product. No one else is doing it so if you don't support them, you lose them. I will give them a call right now to let them know I support their work!

Vicki

L.S. Dennis
03-19-2003, 09:12 AM
To the best of my knowledge Grady hasn't specifically urged people not to buy tapes from Accustats so short of that I think Grady has a right to speak his mind in forums or anyplace else for that matter if he feels he's been wronged.

There is still freedom of speech in this country despite the current administration so I support Grady on this one!

Vicki
03-19-2003, 09:36 AM
You are completely correct. I am not aware that he has encouraged anyone, either publicly or privately, not to buy Accustats tapes. And he certainly has a right to speak publicly about the situation. Just because it is his right doesn't mean I have to think it was a professional decision on his part. He certainly does have the right.

Just for the record, I have nothing against Grady. I think it was an emotional response to use the public forums to vent his feelings. I understand but I disagree that it was a good/professional decision. I personally think he's a little too colorful for my taste - but I have nothing against him.

He actually gave me very good advice once - said I should aspire to play with the men if I wanted to get good at pool. This was 15 years ago and there were no really good female players around then. I was telling him I needed to learn to play better against women, that I generally played better when I played with men.

The first poster said he was not going to buy Accustats tapes until Grady was reinstated. It is the poster who is encouraging people to take a stand and I just don't think he has enough information.

If it seemed I was saying Grady was behind the request I apologize. I am taking a stand in favor of supporting Accustats - not taking a stand against anyone or anything. There's enough negativity around.

Just wanted to clarify.

V

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> To the best of my knowledge Grady hasn't specifically urged people not to buy tapes from Accustats so short of that I think Grady has a right to speak his mind in forums or anyplace else for that matter if he feels he's been wronged.

There is still freedom of speech in this country despite the current administration so I support Grady on this one! <hr /></blockquote>

Grady
03-19-2003, 09:36 AM
I was led to believe that I was going to do commentary. I even packed suits for that purpose.It was totally embarrassing to be the only one at the "Open" that didn't know I wasn't going to do the commentary.
I quit in frustration and I did throw a tantrum, which there was no excuse for. I apologize to all for that.But when I look at Harry Cary, Chick Hearns, Andy Rooney and even the likes of a Charles Barkley, my being passed over was the final straw. I am a family man and I have geiven my life to a great sport and I think I'm better qualified or at least as qualified as many men who have gotten TV work, over me.Especially Hopkins and Laurence.
I haven't said one bad word about Accu-stats and they have a great product.I'm through, though and what I'm perhaps saddest about is that they won't be doing any more of my tournaments.

Vicki
03-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Grady,

I wish the best for you in all of your endeavors. You really are an asset to our sport and I wish you every success.

Sometimes your humor offends me - but don't worry - we can't be all things to all people... I DO think you do great things for the sport overall and I sincerely appreciate your efforts!

Best regards,

Vicki

Popcorn
03-19-2003, 10:11 AM
I think you should not let business become personal. I do business with people I despise, but it benefits employees as well as all others involved, so you have to put personal feelings aside. I have also had to fire friends because it was not working out. What happened, happened for what ever reason. I would not sever my relationship with Pat. It is best for all to have him film your tournaments. That should be a sperate issue. It is not my business to tell you what to do, I know from seeing you in action that honor and honesty is a large issue to you, but don't do things that may not be in your best interest in the long run just to make a point. Things have a way of smoothing themselves out.

Grady
03-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the positive input, folks.
There really isn't much else I can say on this subject.

Deeman
03-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Grady,

I like your commentary but that's a business decision not for me to make. I'll still watch the pool tapes but with a little less enjoyment. By the way, your book "Bet High, Kiss Low" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif arrived from SC the other day. I liked it almost as much as your tapes.

Dee

03-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Never until this day did I realize what the problem is with pool in America. It will never be promoted, sponsored and glorified to the level it deserves because of its fans, who seem to have an amazing knack to embrace all that is mediocre (eg, nine ball, eight ball, bar tables, pool leagues), and shun all that is beautiful (one-hole, 14.1, bank pool).

Mr. Mathews is a pocket billiards treasure, the kind of figure that comes along once in a lifetime if you're lucky. If you don't realize that, you have no idea what the true essence of pocket billiards is about.

I wish to thank others for their comments, however misguided I feel they may be.

Drake
03-19-2003, 01:17 PM
We all have heard Grady say some unpleasant things about some other promoters, directors, and players. Grady has been in the tournament scene for quite sometime. We might not like how blunt he puts things but I have no reason to doubt any of his statements. ANYWAY, I'm just another pool nut who lives in Georgia. Down in here Georgia we always say what we mean and finish many deals with an old fashioned hand shake. Accu-stat tapes will miss Grady's commentary and I really can't blame Grady for his actions.

03-19-2003, 07:44 PM
I for one think Pat Fleming made a very bad decision. Grady and Danny D. are the best and should have been given the assignment. Pat Fleming should know this and Grady did the right thing by quitting accustats and should consider
starting a rival company - competition is healthy. <font color="red"> </font color>

eg8r
03-19-2003, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
competition is healthy. <hr /></blockquote> And very expensive.

eg8r

Hopster
03-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Grady i hope things change and you do come back. You are one of the most knowledgable and entertaining commentators i have ever heard. You could probably do a great baseball game if you had the chance, i could just see you and Joe Morgan doing games on ESPN !!!
One of your best lines that i remember was you were doing a match and you said you would spot somebody playing gin : I,ll play him LEFT handed. lol Priceless.
Best of luck to you brother.

curt
03-19-2003, 08:12 PM
I also will miss Grady's stories and articulation. Too often good things seem to find a way to self destruct.

TomBrooklyn
03-19-2003, 08:20 PM
A lot of video producers seek someone with certain features or look. Even though most of the commentary is all audio, there may be some video spots. Maybe Grady needs a new look, ...a makeover of sorts.

Steve Lipsky
03-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Tom, that would be priceless, wouldn't it?

I think that the decision was based more on the live aspect of the Pay-Per-View production. Even Grady admits in his book that many times Fleming would have to remove some of his more colorful comments when editing new tapes.

I should mention that I do not agree with Pat's (or whoever's) decision. I think Grady, as a professional, would have been on his best behavior for this broadcast. I'm just saying this was probably a consideration when the decision was made.

- Steve

bigbro6060
03-20-2003, 06:58 AM
grady mate, i hope you stay around on this forum

to me, you must be one of the most knowledgeable people around on american style pool

i recently watched one of your videos and was very impressed at the shots you were making

hope to see you post more here