PDA

View Full Version : Finally Pictures of my Lathe and Shop!

MaineEAck
03-20-2002, 07:31 PM
I thought maybe I would show everyone some pics of my lathe.
Tell me what you think.
(oh Yeah, I cleaned up since the pics.)

http://maineeack.brinkster.net/MVC-018F.JPG
*Note* One of my shelves
http://maineeack.brinkster.net/MVC-019F.JPG
*Note* Another Shelve
http://maineeack.brinkster.net/MVC-030F.JPG
*note* My first Sneaky Pete
http://maineeack.brinkster.net/MVC-031F.JPG
*note* Putting the indicator that my dad got me to use.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 07:51 PM
OK, Now I am officially JEALOUS...

You have a great start to a wonderful adventure of creativity.

Doctor_D
03-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Good evening:

Congratulations!

Congratulations, not only on the lathe and the shop but, for learning the use of a Dial Indicator.

Dr. D.

TomBrooklyn
03-20-2002, 08:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Congratulations, not only on the lathe and the shop but, for learning the use of a Dial Indicator.<hr></blockquote>And <font color=blue>kudos</font color=blue> to you, <font color=red>Doctor</font color=red>, for knowing what a dial indicator is. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif =TB= <font color=purple>who's turned a few pieces of steel in his day.</font color=purple>

BLACKHEART
03-20-2002, 08:17 PM
YOU"RE ON YOUR WAY TO A LIFETIME ADVENTURE. Like we've talked about,GO SLOW, one step at a time &amp; I'll be here if you need me...JER

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Tom,

Every one knows what a dial indicator is.. the remote control is now used in its place..

stickman
03-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Congratulations on the new obsession. (At least it would be mine.) I hope that it brings you many hours of joy, entertainment, and fullfillment. /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif drooling /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Harold Acosta
03-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Congratulations MaineEAck! I'm turning green with envy!

Harold

MaineEAck
03-20-2002, 09:44 PM
my dad brings me a lot of the things i need from his work! like the dial Indicator.

cheesemouse
03-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Way to go kid. Enjoy the trip.

Ralph S.
03-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Congratulations on the shop and lathe. I sincerely believe that you will do very well and be successfull pesonally if not also in a business sense.
Ralph S.

03-21-2002, 12:14 AM
Great job on the Lathe and Shop Jordan. Hope you keep up the good work. How you shootin by the way?

Blackheart could really help you out too he makes some awesome cues.

Later all.

Chad

MaineEAck
03-21-2002, 07:09 AM
Blackheart has helped me out a lot, I have been playing a lot better, just won a small local tourney last night.

Chris Cass
03-21-2002, 07:17 AM
I'm so happy for you Jordan. Don't ever stop being you. Your a great kid and I wish you all my best.
Regards,
C.C.~~cool work station..I'm sorry for once thinking to myself you were only dreaming. That proves dreams come true.

MaineEAck
03-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Dreams do come true, thats my moto... haha

Q-guy
03-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Looks like you have a nice set up there. If you don't already have one. I would suggest you get a magnifying light to work with. You have good young eyes but it much easier to do some work through a magnifier. I did not use one for years but when I got one I wished I had done it long before. Your work will be better. Good Luck.

MaineEAck
03-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Any Ideas of where to get one?

Troy
03-21-2002, 08:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MaineEAck:</font><hr> Any Ideas of where to get one? <hr></blockquote>

I bought my mag-glass/light at Staples for about $50. It's the swivel-arm kind with a clamp mount.

Troy

Doctor_D
03-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Good evening:

Amazing what you can learn when your dad is a mechanic. A mechanic who wanted to make certain that each of his Three daughters knew their way around under the hood of a car, as well as his shop.

Dr. D.

Rod
03-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Dr D., It is interesting that it's use here is to measure run-out although it's not listed in the dictonary by the correct terminology for this purpose. Another form of run out is on the pool table. Just a little, completely near worthless information to share. I have 3 of those things and nothing at the moment to use them on.

Doctor_D
03-22-2002, 02:06 AM
Good morning:

My first position, when I completed my undergraduate studies, was working for a mechanical contractor back in the late 70's. It was then, as the field installation manager was having fun explaining the use of the "Dial Indicator" in the installation of a 100hp direct drive motor to a compressor, that I saw one for the first time. Needless to say, as a financial person and a woman, I found the information SO valuable. Yeah right!

Dr. D.

Just some useless trivia to put you to sleep at 0220 hours

JimS
03-22-2002, 10:04 AM
Hi Jordan

The mag-lights with flourescent bulbs run about $50 as Troy has said but you can get a type that uses 60 watt bulbs and they only run about $15.

Try eBay...search for magnifying lamp. I think that these have a lens only about 3" wide while the flourescent types that I've see are about 9" but you can always get the bigger/better one after you've earned more money.

Kato
03-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Jordan, I think it's super cool that you've got this thing set up. It looks like a real nice little work space. Funny, when I'd be online and you'd IM me about lathe's I figured you to be a little bit of a crackpot. Guess you showed me.

Kato

MaineEAck
03-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Not to many people thought I could do it. Well, I have started, only time will show what I can do.

Doctor_D
03-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Good morning:

Keep you eyes focused and, on the table at least, your head down. And remember, the mighty Oak was once a nut just like you and me.

Dr. D.

MaineEAck
03-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for all the support!

Doctor_D
03-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Good evening:

Who knows, you might even have an exhibit booth at the 2003 Super Billiards Expo !!!

Dr. D.

Rod
03-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Good Job Jordon, for starting out I'd say your doing just fine. You may already know this, but the pool rooms in the area will probably give you old house cues that you can practice on. Usually ferrules split on them and they get tossed. If not and your set up, ask to do the repairs for a trade off in pool time. As time goes along I'll bet you will have more people asking. I have about 40 house cues from a pool room I owned that are in need of such repairs, or make them into sneaky pete's.

Brady_Behrman
03-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Looking Good!

Let me know when you need a booth at the U.S.Open 9-Ball Championships..

GL
Brady

MaineEAck
03-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, Not until I save up for an inlay machine form http://www.uniqueinc.com There would never be a way to make cues (and have a booth), also, I am just doing sneaky petes. Pool is the road for me, I want to play and play a lot... repairs are a hobby on the side!

Rich R.
03-24-2002, 08:29 AM
Just to clarify, are you making the sneak petes from scratch, or are you cutting down house cues? Rich R.

MaineEAck
03-24-2002, 08:32 AM
House cue, for the butt, and I take a shaft blank down for teh shaft.

MaineEAck
03-24-2002, 08:50 AM
It's hard to take the house cue butt down b/c they are so thick!

Q-guy
03-24-2002, 09:27 AM
I once made some attachments for a guy so he could use his wood lathe to do cue work. This is going to sound crude, but I saw him building Sneaky petes, and he was using a small belt sander in conjunction with the lathe to turn down the butts. He had a good feel for it. He worked the sander back and forth and the results were really pretty good. By the way, you still need to be on the look out for more stuff. Can't have enough stuff. It would be great if you can come across a used wood lathe or a bandsaw at a garage sale or in the newspaper cheap. You are going to need them at some point. I bought a band saw at a garage sale recently, stand motor and saw for $15.00. It just needed a little cleaning up. It is an old King-Sealy and is the kind of quality that is hard to find nowadays. It now makes my other bandsaw look like a piece of junk.

MaineEAck
03-24-2002, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I once made some attachments for a guy so he could use his wood lathe to do cue work. This is going to sound crude, but I saw him building Sneaky petes, and he was using a small belt sander in conjunction with the lathe to turn down the butts. He had a good feel for it. He worked the sander back and forth and the results were really pretty good. By the way, you still need to be on the look out for more stuff. Can't have enough stuff. It would be great if you can come across a used wood lathe or a bandsaw at a garage sale or in the newspaper cheap. You are going to need them at some point. I bought a band saw at a garage sale recently, stand motor and saw for $15.00. It just needed a little cleaning up. It is an old King-Sealy and is the kind of quality that is hard to find nowadays. It now makes my other bandsaw look like a piece of junk. <hr></blockquote>

Cool! I will look around for some stuff, I think you can see some of my sand paper in one of the pics, my dad gets this stuff from his work, it is 1 inch thick and in long rolls. It is much much easier to use, and it's free, can't beat that!! Haha the thing about my lathe is if I want to do stuff the full length of the butt my cutter feed would have to actually go over an attachment that holds on the bed extension, so I would need something like belt sander, that would be neat, thanks, I will keep my eye out.

03-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Congratulations and best wishes Jordan. Fred