PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle Changes, The good, the bad, the ugly

Kato
03-19-2003, 09:50 AM
About 1 month ago (I'm not sure of the actual date) I quit smoking cigarettes. I did it without fanfare (though for me it's a big deal) but not without support, especially Rich R and Karatemom. It took a serious effort to act human to those around me and I pulled it off. I'm proud to say that nobody beat me up.

But, I started gaining weight because I had to put something in my mouth at all times. I've spent the last 8 years of my life around 185 pounds and I balloned to 200 pounds in about 3 weeks after quitting. So.............

I went on a diet. I knew I had to start excercising, that was a given, I should eat less, no fast food, quit eating so much ice cream but that has never really worked for me. I determined that I'm a sugar addict. It's in everything, in my coffee, in my cereal, in sauces, in my ice cream, so.........I decided to quit eating sugar.

Well today is Wednesday, I'm on my 3rd day without sugar. Going through sugar withdrawls is way worse than nicotine withdrawls. Shaking, moody, cranky. All the things in life I hate. Luckily I have enough people around me to make me smile, that relieves the pressure. At least on the 3rd day things are getting better. I slept last night, I feel pretty good today and I've lost 7 pounds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The good news. I'm smoke free /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The bad news. I'm fat /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The good news: I've lost 7 pounds /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The bad news: I've got 23 more to go /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kato~~~just babbling.

Rich R.
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just keep reminding yourself of that, until you are convinced. And when you have convinced yourself, try convincing me that I can do it too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara
03-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Hey Buddy!! I'm proud of you, too!!!

It's no small feat to quit smoking. I swear I could feel my metabolism screeching to a halt!

Here's a hint to get over your sugar cravings. Go to a vitamin store or health food store and buy yourself some L-Glutamine. It's an amino acid that helps you get over sugar cravings. I've been off sugar for about two months now and this stuff really helped.

Congrats to you and Karatemom!!!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
03-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Kato - have you thought about doing the lo-carb thing? I don't mean go to extremes, but basically an "Atkins-lite" type diet. I had tried low-fat, discipline, everything to lose just a few extra lbs. I always felt deprived and ended up cheating and it never worked.
Then I simply dropped the carbs completely out of my breakfast (I have an egg and sausage for example, w/o bread) and my cravings for carbs (like McDonald's fries) totally vanished. I lost weight easily and am having no problem keeping it off. In fact it seems like my body has a new, lower weight "set-point" and seems quite happy there. And I feel better than I did on the low-fat diet. Recently a study at Duke found that patients on the Atkins type diet not only lost more weight than those on the low-fat diet, but surprisingly their cholesterol dropped more as well. Just a thought.

eg8r
03-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Kato I applaud you (not for getting fat though, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). While everyone has their opinion on smoking, the bare minimum is that in some cases it speeds up the meeting time between you and your maker. I am happy you have chosen to quit. Sorry for the weight gain, I have no excuses except that I have poor eating habits.

I have also started excercising in a vane attempt to lose weight. LOL, my problem is motivation. I have been going strong for a few days now. I will let you know how I am doing in a couple weeks if you do the same. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man, I cannot remember being 185 lbs. That had to be early in high school. LOL

eg8r

eg8r
03-19-2003, 10:44 AM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Rod
03-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Congrats Kato,
Your really going to love your decision in the years to come. Not only health wise but any insurance costs less. A few years ago I quit, gained weight, so I started smoking again; real dumb. I read where just quitting smoking causes one to want more sugar. Something to the effect there is a small percentage of molasses not to mention "other" ingredients in the blend. You'll work out the weight issue when your body returns to normal. Note, I did not say your mind! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif JK

~~~ rod, going out to work out on Big Bertha! lol It's an E-trainer and it kicks my butt.

Rich R.
03-19-2003, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
eg8r, that is inspiring, but whether it is convincing is another question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Although I gave up a multi pack a day smoking habit years ago, without too much of a problem, I'm sorry to say that the weight problem has been life long and something I struggle with constantly.

But thanks for trying. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2003, 11:16 AM
I became a beginner of the smoking habit, and Monday of this week quit, but like I said except for the "habit" of smoking during pool(chain smoking though) and an occassional social smoke here and there, I wasn't buying cartons, and I believe I wasn't hooked...hence the will power isn't a difficulty. I don't eat more, coffee is a big thing though. Regardless I learned from an old GF who was trying to quit that the weight thing is normal, and given time you will readjust back to your old self with your eating habits. It's easy for me to say, but "Forget about worrying about that. You'll stress yourself back to thinking cigarettes are not the worst of the two evils." Many, and I mean MANY quitters have used that old excuse. Extra weight won't kill you as surely as the cigs...sid

Kato
03-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Carbs and sugar, nothing in my diet but protien right now.

Kato

Kato
03-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Sid, I have incentive not to smoke. My good buddy Chris Cass is in the hospital because of it. I won't go back to smoking just to lose weight, that won't happen. Besides, taking deep breaths is a wonderful feeling.

Kato~~~getting his lungs back

Candyman
03-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Great job Kato. You have aready proven to yourself that you can do anything you want to do. My wife competed in body building at one time and had to do these real restrictive diets. I asked her how she did it and she told me the only thing she concerned herself with was getting through the day. She worried about tomorrow then. Good luck Kato. Just remember you have probably added some good years to your life. The Candyman

9 Ball Girl
03-19-2003, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I second that emotion! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
03-19-2003, 12:53 PM
I tried. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Karatemom
03-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, Kato, my buddy, my pal. I'm proud that you have quit smoking. Gaining weight is just a side effect. It, too, shall pass when you figure out how to balance everything. Quitting the smokes was the hard part, now just figure out how to manage your life without them. A friend of mine told me to chew on straws, and another friend of mine gave me a koosh ball to fiddle with. I didn't find myself eating more, just playing with that darn koosh ball an awful lot! I brought it everywhere, even to the pool hall!

Don't give me any credit, you did this all on your own. You are the one who had to go through the withdrawls and cravings and crabbiness, etc. Chris might have given you the incentive, but you were the one who had to follow through with it.

I started smoking again. I'd love to be able to say that with all the pressure I've been under, it just wasn't the right time, but that's just an excuse.

However, seeing as how I feel right to be able to try it again, I have quit yet again this morning. This time it has to be for good. I have proven myself weak, and hate it! I have to be as strong for myself as I have been for Chris.

Heide ~ wishing I had Kato's will power and in dire need of a CCB non-smoking support group, LOL

Barbara
03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Heide,

Quitting smoking is really tough, but not impossible if you mentally set yourself up to do it.

For almost 6 months before I quit I kept telling myself that I was going to stop smoking on "that day" (which turned out to be Super Bowl Sunday, 2003), and I did. I mentally prepared myself. Plus, I quit smoking while driving around and started cutting down about a month before the date.

I also used the Nicotrol Inhalor and that helped a bunch with what to do with my hands.

You can do it!! I have faith in you!!

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
03-19-2003, 03:42 PM
You'll be fine. Just try again until you get it right.

Kato~~~has no willpower, just feels like he's run out of choices and excuses.

snipershot
03-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Good for you Kato, it's great to hear you have quit smoking, I don't know what a pack of smokes costs down there but it cost $10 a pack up here and that might even go up, if you smoke a pack a day at $10 a pack it works out to over $300 a month and the cost really adds up, as a result lot's of people I know have quit smoking to save money. Good luck fixing your weight problem as well!

03-20-2003, 12:23 AM
"Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it 10,000 times." quote by Mark Twain...

Rich R.
03-20-2003, 05:14 AM
Heide, quitting smoking is not easy, Smoking is both a mental and a physical addiction, just like many other drugs. It can be done. To steal a phase, "just take it one day at a time."
Also, do not quit for Chris or any one else. You have to make the decision that you are quitting for YOU . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You have tried and you have failed. It was not the end of the world. Now you are trying again. Keep trying and you will get it right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
03-20-2003, 07:07 AM
My roomate who is a heavy smoker asked me "if I really wanted to quit". I thought about that for a while and thought to myself that "yes, I really want to quit" not adding "because when I'm 48 like you I don't want to be hacking like you every time I take a drag".

Last night was the first time I went to the pool room that I didn't feel uncomfortable not smoking. My smoking friends don't want to sit around me it seems which is ashame. They all want me to succeed. On the one hand it's nice having their support. On the opposite end I sort of miss the companionship. I made the right decision though.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
03-20-2003, 08:03 AM
You'll be alright. It will take getting used to though especially in places where smoking is allowed. I stopped cold turkey back in '92 with a couple of drags here and there and finally stopped. But like I said, you'll do alright.

Wendy~~will have to keep Kato company in VA during the smoking sessions /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
03-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Kato, the friends that want you to succeed and are moving away from you, ARE supporting you. They are trying not to tempt you in to smoking. Once you have been off the smoke for a longer time, they will be able to move back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
At these early stages, it may be more comfortable with a little distance. You can always yell across the room, especially when your opponent is ready to take his shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
03-20-2003, 09:38 AM
Actually, my good buddy JackPot George was talking to me about quitting last night. As Florida is moving in a non-smoking direction it's becoming less and less hip. Smokes are still realitively cheap $2.60-$3.50 a pack. As Rich R told me when I started it adds up. I'd guess I've saved in excess of $100 so far. I feel better, it's all good.

As far as them supporting me yes, I agree. I miss a little of the interaction though.

Since I quit I haven't really played much, obviously my game has suffered. I'm sure most of it is mental with my eyes and what not.

Thanks for all the support. Remember though, I'm one of the most weak willed people in the universe. If I can do anything (quit smoking I've succeeded, weight loss still to be determined) at all to alter my habits then anyone can.

It's nice to know that whenever I need to get something off my chest I can always count on my friends on the CCB.

Kato