PDA

View Full Version : Break techniques?

MarkUrsel
03-19-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm curious about what breaking techniques have worked for you in 9 ball. I tend to play center shape, hand on the rail, cue ball on the right diamond, one diamond off the end rail and I hit it as hard as I can. It works reasonably well, but I'm always looking to learn!

What works for you?

DSAPOLIS
03-19-2003, 10:01 AM
At this link is an article I wrote entitled "Breaking to Win". It is a controlled version of the side break. Many have found this article to be extremely helpful. This is the break most pros use.

http://www.azbilliards.com/blackjack/blackjack8.cfm

Popcorn
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
You have to experiment and see what is working. I break hard and soft and everything in between. You just never know. I learned this years ago one night playing a guy I was giving the 6 ball. I was breaking real good, hard, parking the cueball but not making balls. He had no break at all, but was making balls almost every break. I slowed down my break to his and began making balls. I had never tried that before. I would normally move the cueball around trying to find a spot, but always breaking as hard as I could, It was an epiphany.

MarkUrsel
03-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Dave, thanks for the tips and well written article! I will certainly practice that this evening and see what it does for me. I'll let you know.

Anyone else?

Rod
03-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Mark,
I break at 1 to 1&1/4 diamonds from the side rail at the head string. I elevate the butt more than a normal stroke. Mine tends to end up right center of the table and a good chance for a shot on the one in the corner I broke from, if it doesn't go in the side.
I will switch sides but keep the appx c/b position. As mentioned sometimes slowing down break speed can work wonders. I've found it can work better with humidity or worn balls that don't rack well.
If anything in all the games/matches I've played, I have to say controlling whitey has won me more sets than any other reason. If I scratch playing good player, I figure to lose that game or more.

Steve Lipsky
03-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Mark,

I think you should elevate the cue to approximately 50 degrees. Shoot directly down into the cueball, aim to hit the one as thin as possible, blast whitey and - importantly - close your eyes just as the tip strikes the cueball.

Oh wait, we already played you in the 9-ball league... OK, you can listen to Dave. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Steve

P.S. Should we meet in the playoffs, you should use my advice above, of course.

bluewolf
03-19-2003, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> At this link is an article I wrote entitled "Breaking to Win". It is a controlled version of the side break. Many have found this article to be extremely helpful. This is the break most pros use.

http://www.azbilliards.com/blackjack/blackjack8.cfm

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks a lot David. I also liked your article on shape.

Laura

MarkUrsel
03-19-2003, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should elevate the cue to approximately 50 degrees. Shoot directly down into the cueball, aim to hit the one as thin as possible, blast whitey and - importantly - close your eyes just as the tip strikes the cueball.<hr /></blockquote>

Steve, I will try that but I think I'll need to master the technique of running out of the room before getting gang-tackled by irate owners first. I can see it now, "What's that lump under the cloth? Oh. It's my cue. Hmmm."

03-20-2003, 07:42 AM
I normally break about 3-5 inches from the side rail and about even with the headstring, I stand in a fairly upright position to make more power and have got good results compared to my old break, yet my break is still inconsistent.

When I was reading this thread last night I went to the link Mr. BlackJack posted and read his article, I practiced it a few times on my 8 ft. table at home and decided to give it a try in league play last night. I was on a 7ft. bar table and mainly tried to get down on the break, and went for precision rather than power. I won 5-0 against a higher rated player, I made 1-3 balls on each break, two of the breaks I even left the cb in the middle like in the diagram, I dont know If had a lot of luck or what, but I'm certainly going to work on this breaking technique. Thank you for sharing the article Mr. Blackjack.

Ron

Scott Lee
03-20-2003, 04:04 PM
I teach the break, as a controlled throwing motion. Using just the weight of the cue, and a perfectly timed swing, delivers a smooth stroke through the CB. I find that the less motion in your body, the better control of the CB, therefore I don't use my legs at all in breaking. A 20mph break is plenty hard to scatter the rack and control the CB.

Scott Lee

03-20-2003, 10:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigBlue:</font><hr>
When I was reading this thread last night I went to the link Mr. BlackJack posted and read his article, I practiced it a few times on my 8 ft. table at home and decided to give it a try in league play last night. I was on a 7ft. bar table and mainly tried to get down on the break, and went for precision rather than power. I won 5-0 against a higher rated player, I made 1-3 balls on each break, two of the breaks I even left the cb in the middle like in the diagram, I dont know If had a lot of luck or what, but I'm certainly going to work on this breaking technique. Thank you for sharing the article Mr. Blackjack.
Ron <hr /></blockquote>
Blackjack-if I read your article correctly, it sead to aim the cue ball dead on to the one and the 2 balls in line behind it. I assume you're talking about 9 footers because I found it impossible to do on my 8'. The cue ball can't be placed wide enough. Do I understand this correctly?

03-21-2003, 09:48 AM
I too have heard that "aim at the line"-technique... never really worked for me, somehow they are never inline for me, nor would it help... how would I aim at a row of balls?

I aim at the spot where the one touches the felt. And first I just look at the one for aim, do the back'n'forth until I am sure about the aim, then I stare at the whitey and shoot (vs. on a regular shot one looks at the object ball īlast). I stay down all the way through, but somtimes try to pick up some angry emotions to kill the pack, for some extra oomph.