PDA

View Full Version : BANKOK BIRCH SHAFTS

Candyman
03-19-2003, 01:51 PM
I have read some interesting articles about these shafts, but I haven't been able to find a supplier. Also, if any of you CCBer's have played with one, I would love to get some feedback.
Thanks as always, Candyman

cycopath
03-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Isn't that the shaft Fast Larry said he and Ray Schuler developed together?

Candyman
03-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Now that you mentioned it, I do recall Fast Larry and possibly Ray associated with the shaft. I will see if I can go back and dig up something. Thanks for the memory jog Cycopath. The Candyman

Candyman
03-19-2003, 06:55 PM
After thinking about your reply, I do remember going to Ray Schuler's site to research the shaft. I just went back to the site and searched it again with no results. It must be in the experimental stages. This shaft is suppose to resist deflection almost as much as the Pred. It is a one piece construction as opposed the the multiple glued joints. I know the Pred has a good reputation, but I have a hang-up with anything glued. My rearview mirrors have fallen off too many times. I e-mailed Rays site for info on the Bankok and will do a new post if I here anything. Thanks again Cycopath. Candyman

Cueless Joey
03-19-2003, 07:11 PM
I once saw Massey's shaft. It had a short ferrule. It looked like it was maple to me. It was however bored. Predator wrote a letter to them and I believe they stopped boring them due threat of lawsuit by Predator.

Scott Lee
03-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Joey...I saw one of those shafts last night, at Chris' Billiards, in Chicago. It was a snooker shaft, custom made to fit a Predator butt, with the REALLY short ferrule. The tip was 10.5 mm...tiny! I shot with it, and it had an impressive hit, and excellent accuracy. It was bored out, like you described, but the owner (Pat Johnson, of RSB) did not call it a 'Bangkok Birch' shaft. Great playing shaft, imo...price was $150.

Scott Lee

TonyM
03-20-2003, 01:11 AM
Scott, I know a fair bit about Pat's shaft as we corresponded regarding the design a while back.

And I can assure you, it is indeed made from Maple, not Birch!

Tony
-next?

Fred Agnir
03-20-2003, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Joey...I saw one of those shafts last night, at Chris' Billiards, in Chicago. It was a snooker shaft, custom made to fit a Predator butt, with the REALLY short ferrule. The tip was 10.5 mm...tiny! I shot with it, and it had an impressive hit, and excellent accuracy. It was bored out, like you described, but the owner (Pat Johnson, of RSB) did not call it a 'Bangkok Birch' shaft. Great playing shaft, imo...price was $150.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>That isn't a Bangkok Birch shaft. Pat had that particular shot made specially with all he knows about squirt and such. He seems to like it pretty well. The shaft is made by Ed Young with Pat's special paramaters and features and is fitted on his Predator butt.

The Bangkok Birch Shaft is a Schuler offering.

Fred

Scott Lee
03-20-2003, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Joey...I saw one of those shafts last night, at Chris' Billiards, in Chicago. It was a snooker shaft, custom made to fit a Predator butt, with the REALLY short ferrule. The tip was 10.5 mm...tiny! I shot with it, and it had an impressive hit, and excellent accuracy. It was bored out, like you described, but the owner (Pat Johnson, of RSB) did not call it a 'Bangkok Birch' shaft. Great playing shaft, imo...price was $150.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>That isn't a Bangkok Birch shaft. Pat had that particular shot made specially with all he knows about squirt and such. He seems to like it pretty well. The shaft is made by Ed Young with Pat's special paramaters and features and is fitted on his Predator butt.

The Bangkok Birch Shaft is a Schuler offering.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

You're exactly correct, Fred. I remember Pat mentioning Ed Young, but I didn't know who that was.

Scott